Need Help with a Trip in September - Single Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SandyUT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I want to take solo trip in September, but was reminded of hurricane season... Which I have rolled the dice on before. I was originally thinking Belize Aggressor. So use that as a rough budget.

Given I am traveling g solo I was looking at live-a-boards so I could dive all day and have everything else proved with minimal effort. I am not sure what other options would work traveling/diving alone. None of the local dive ops have trips even close to the dates I need.

Any ideas?

I've never done a Live-Aboard trip, but I have done numerous solo trips to Cozumel, and I adore Cozumel. It won't be dive, dive, dive all day - normal is 2-tank morning dive, 1-tank afternoon trip, and maybe a night dive. I used to do 4-5 dives a day from Cozumel, but that was when I was a lot younger; now, I'm pretty much content to do the 2-tank morning dives every day, with 1 or 2 night dives in a week. While Cozumel is known for the boat dives, there are a few decent locations for interesting shore dives, like at Villa Blanca, and with the right Dive Op, I'm sure you can make areangements for tanks and weights to shore dive. In my opinion, the really great thing about Cozumel is that you can arrange a trip on pretty much any budget - various options for cheap lodging, as low as $25-$35 a night, nothing fancy, but I'm betting a lot better than you'll get on any Live Aboard, and if you like the local food, you can eat very well on $25 a day or less, and spend your money on diving. And if you pay extra for the high-end Ops like Aldora, with HP Steel 120 tanks, you'll get LOTS of bottom time, even on only two dives a day, with dives running from 70-90 minutes, and Aldora also offers 1-tank afternoon dives to some Northern locations that other Ops won't take you to.

BTW, I wouldn't worry too much about Hurricane Season - at least if you are staying on land (I'd worry about it more if I was on a boat!). Sure there's a chance that you'll get caught in a Hurricane, but the odds are pretty low. And yes, you are going to see rain, but if you're diving, you're getting wet anyway, so who cares?

Might try Bonaire. It's below the hurricane belt. The flights can be pricey, but on island the diving is pretty inexpensive per dive (shore diving). Lot's of other divers to hook up with on the fly. Not a lot of AI choices, but nice restaurants and all on your own schedule. There are dive resorts like Buddy Dive etc., but there are also some nice B&B style lodging with the owners onsite to help you get around and keep company in the evenings. :)

thanks for the sanity check. we have had more than one trip in hurricane season without an issue. It could happen, but its not the highest probability. the single supplement on the liveaboard is hard to swallow as well. 65% more... I love Cozumel!!! I have been 5X and would go 5 more. First time there was back in 1986. Its changed a lot since then.

Ill check out Aldora. looks pretty nice. Scuba Club has been the recent goto.

---------- Post added May 4th, 2015 at 08:33 PM ----------

Might try Bonaire. It's below the hurricane belt. The flights can be pricey, but on island the diving is pretty inexpensive per dive (shore diving). Lot's of other divers to hook up with on the fly. Not a lot of AI choices, but nice restaurants and all on your own schedule. There are dive resorts like Buddy Dive etc., but there are also some nice B&B style lodging with the owners onsite to help you get around and keep company in the evenings. :)

I also love Bonaire, but was concerned about finding people to dive with etc. I think it would be odd to show up and be like hey can i dive with you? I wouldnt like that if my wife was with me on this one. maybe i am weird. but when we are in Bonaire its all about diving with just us.

disregard - I just saw your other thread. If I come up with anything else I'll post it here.

Last edited:
Sandy, I am with you on traveling solo. I am thinking about going to Belize in September or October and doing a liveaboard for the same reasons you are. It's not entirely out of the hurricane zone but better than other caribbean destinations. I'm going to call Aggressor this week because it's time to put a deposit down or miss out on the weeks I am wanting to go. I live in the caribbean and will definitely be getting trip insurance.

Aggressor has a deal during the time you're considering also. It's the Sun Dancer II not the Belize Aggressor which IMO works better - it's a bigger boat so more places to get away. And all the cabins have beds instead of bunks. And big windows instead of portholes. If I had to share with a stranger, it's what I'd want..
Pay for 7 Nights and Get 3 Nights FREE, SAVE $1200
Save $1200 on our 10 night itineraries.

Dive the clearest, calmest and warmest time of the year for 8 1/2 days of diving.

Sun Dancer II (Belize): Sept. 3 - 13, 2016, Sept. 14 - 24, 2016

Last edited:
Thanks diversteve, I have been looking at both boats. I would rather have a big window and a bed instead of a bunk. Hopefully a roommate who doesn't snore and is relatively neat. Single supplement is outrageous.

have a great time! I couldn't come to terms with the single supplement or sharing a room. I know I might be odd on that, but I know my limitations. I'll do another liveaboard when my wife can join. I would share a room with her anywhere.:wink:

Hi SandyUT,

I am a travel agent and an authorized dealer of the Dancer/Aggressor fleet and if you are still interested in looking, I could probably get you some quotes at a more discounted rate then what you are looking at on your own. If you would like to me to do a little checking at no cost to you I would be happy to take a look at prices for that time of year for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom