Need help to buy dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Izzy

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I am presently in Japan where you can find almost any electronic gadget!! I want to buy a dive computer for my boyfriend for X-Mas.

I have no idea what to look for. I know some of them record dives which I know he would like. I guess around 20 dives. Also, I read about some that you can actually download into a PC..that would be great.

What prices in US$ should I be looking for to give me a reference. Also what brand name would you recommend?

As far as price I know it could get very expensive but I would like to get a good idea of an average to high end computer that works good and would provide accurate information.

I am not sure what features should be in there but tell me what divers usually look for in a diving computer and maybe some best sellers.

Thanks guys, I need to go back home in 3 days so reply to me quickly!!!

Don't know what kind of diving he does, but I (like many others) prefer a wrist mounted dive computer. It's much easier to access and helps me control my ascent rates without holding a console type computer in the hands.

I have both the Suunto Vyper and a Cobra (daughter uses this one) and my buddy dives with a Vytec. I'm pretty impressed with the Suunto products and like the conservative nature of the dive model profile they use. Plus they have user changeable batteries, which in my mind a plus!

One thing I would make sure on the unit you buy is that it has the ability to change from metric to imperial units, some do not...

Merry Christmas

The current big names for computers are Suunto and Uwatec. Prices, of course, primarily depend on features. There are many, many threads on this board that extol the different advantages of the different comps, but I believe that a majority of divers go with Suunto, either the Vyper or Vytec models. Both are wrist computers, but the Vytec has a hoseless air integration (transmitter on the tank transmits to the computer, which calculates time/air left. Some people like that, some don't trust it. Again, many threads on the subject. As far as price, I believe prices range roughly from $400 (Vyper) to $500+ (Vytec). Depends on where you shop, etc. Hope this helps to give you a starting point.

Hi Izzy:

I agree with the above responses about Suunto. I just bought two Vypers from LeisurePro.com. They have the best prices I could find, except for Ebay, but I was afraid the Ebay merchandise could be stolen so I did not bite on a new Vyper bid at $275.

Hi Izzy, since Suunto is not Japanese you could do much better and purchase something like Seiko B.U.G. (some info
here ) for considerably less than its US price.
Cheers

My main suggestion is to get a nitrox dive computer.

When you dive on air, you can always leave it set to 21% nitrox.

When you dive on EANx, you can then dial in your %O2.

I teach dive students to keep their depths to 50 ft or shallower when they are new to scuba. Then after they buy a nitrox computer and complete someone's AOW course, to keep their depth to 100 ft or shallower, but to dive on EANx if deeper than 50 ft.

So if you are going to buy a computer, you would be better off with a nitrox computer.

Thanks guys for all the info. I am heading to the shops today. I will let you know what I came up with. If will check how much is the Seiko Nitrox B.U.G. This one is manufactured in Japan so I bet I can get a real good price. I went on the website, my only concern is that it seems to be small. It's just like any normal watch...I wonder if it's easy to read while underwater. Anybody has an idea?

If I don't buy here I will consider the Suunto Vyper I guess.

Thanks again for the info it gives me an idea on what to ask for and how much I should pay.

Ciao!!

Unless you dive in murky water there is very little difference between reading the watch (computer) under water and on the surface. It is more the matter of getting used to the very compact display. Please let us know the Japanese pricing on Seiko B.U.G. if you get the chance.
Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom