Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BspoonDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm heading to Florida in May and I've searched online for different dive shops and charter boats that go out to the best dive sites. I was hoping that I can get some help from locals or people that have passed through and have their stories if they are good or bad. I will be flying into Fort Lauderdale but will be willing to drive down to the keys if thats the best charter boats in Florida. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Safe dives

Key Largo has it all. Lots of good dive shops too. What are you looking for? Reefs, wrecks, cattle boat, or something small? It can get blown out this time of year.

You will get many recommendations. I have a house in Boynton Beach and do most of my diving there and in West Palm, including the BHB, and in Jupiter

Key Largo has it all. Lots of good dive shops too. What are you looking for? Reefs, wrecks, cattle boat, or something small? It can get blown out this time of year.

I love wreck diving, I guess the main question is what charter boat do you use. t-mac

You will get the most interesting "bang for your buck" diving in the Key Largo area.. Plenty of great "wrecks" as well as reefs.. The owner of this community @NetDoc lives in the area and can certainly give you some very detailed info and recommendations. There are also plenty of good ops & sites, plus free shore diving locations just North of Fort Lauderdale. If time and money isn't an issue, you could also drive down to Key West and dive the Vandenberg as well..

I realize this doesn't answer your question about dive ops but you might want to decide where you are diving first... Everyone has their favorites.. Most of the ones I went out with were good. I'd put them out there but I haven't been down there in a while now so I'll leave that to others..

@mselenaous and @Capt Jim Wyatt (aka Capt Crunch) both work at Rainbow Reef. While I dive a lot of charters down here when I get invited, I use these guys quite a bit. They treat me like my SO and best friend work there, so why not? Incredibly professional with an eye on safety and fun, you simply can't go wrong with this motley crew. From easy, easy novice to advanced and even technical, Key Largo has it all. Let us know when you're down here and I'll try to catch a dive with you. I don't think they've kicked the @Texas Torpedo off of their boats, so you know they'll take just about everyone. :D :D :D

I dive Pompano a lot, I like Pompano Dive Center and Parrot Island Scuba. PDC has frequent tech dive trips if that's your thing. In Palm Beach I hear good things about Florida Scuba Charters.

If you had to choice either diving down in the keys or diving further north in ft Lauderdale/Miami.

what a loaded question! first, I am biased as a dive instructor and guide. But i'll offer my opinion anyway :)

My favorite place to dive in Florida is Jupiter. It does not have as many pretty corals as Miami and the keys but it has breathtaking reef structures and is known for big sealife. We typically see loggerhead turtles, hawksbill turtles, green turtles, 7 (or more) species of shark, and the occasional manta ray, whale shark, whale and more. Jupiter offers wrecks, reefs and awesomeness.

Now again, i'm biased. I work for a company that runs several dive boats, one of which is in Jupiter. I actually started working for them because as a customer I found they had the most experienced and knowledgeable captains and crews I've seen in the region. They provide an exceptional level of service and one of the safest dive operations I know. I guess I got demoted from customer to staff!

Check out Stuart Scuba (www.stuartscuba.com) and look 'em up on Facebook.
Also, check out the Vero Beach Scuba Club on Facebook. We run lots of trips and anyone is welcome to join us.

Back
Top Bottom