Need Help From Math Geeks!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leveling the ground somewhat first is a good idea, but depending on the soil you’re dealing with it may be difficult to get the smooth consistency you want under the pool unless you give it some time to settle so you’ll still need a base. I would avoid pea gravel for what you’re doing and get AB3, or whatever in your area has a much higher level of “fines” than pea gravel. AB3 compacts to a very hard and smooth surface that almost looks and feels like concrete after a while so you won’t have the surface irregularity of pea gravel. If you do use pea gravel, I would put a 1” topping of sand over it before putting a pool on it.

If there is any considerable run off in the area of the pool, I would also look at some way to divert as much of it from the pool as possible so you don’t create a mud pit in the area around the pool after a rain.

Rick Inman:
So, new math question.

Three teenagers with three shovels for approximately 3 hours in 88 degree heat will consume how much Mountain Dew?

There's an old saying that my father used a lot when I wanted to get friends to come over and help me with my chores. "One boy is a boy, two boys are half a boy, and three boys are no boy at all."

Make sure they have constant supervision, or the work won't get done!

Of course, you probably know this.

Rick Inman:
Anyway, I think maybe I'm back to digging it level.
Just don't set it down into the ground far enough that you now need a fence around it, otherwise you'll have a whole new project. :wink:

Check your local codes. One of my nephews decided a 54" high pool was a great idea when he found out that he'd have to fence in all arounda 48" high one.

Rick Inman:
OK, get out your coke-bottle glasses and take the slide ruler out of your pocket protector. I need some math help.:22:

I bought one of those cheap above ground pools, and it needs a perfectly level surface under it. Unfortunately, my back yard has a small slope to it that I have to level out with Pea Gravel. Here's the numbers:

I need to level out an 18'X18' square area with the Pea Gravel. I don't know the angle of the slope, just that it slopes down 6". They sell Pea Gravel by the square yard.

So, how many square yards do I need to level out the 18'X18' square area on a slope that slopes down 6"? (Just to be clear, I don't need to raise the entire square 6', but gradually for 0" on one side to 6" on the other. Clear?)

This should be an easy one for all you math geeks who are just sitting at home watching Star Trek re-runs unable to get a date. :clement2:

Thanks!

:D

BTW, I expect Lamont to see this thread when he does his daily search for "Star Trek." :wink:
I have not read any of the other answers.
I suspect what you really want is a number of cubic yards.

18*18*.5= 162 cubic feet for a full six inch pad.

Since you are leveling off a slope, you only need half of that or 81 cubic feet.

81 cubic feet/ 27 = 3 cubic yards.

In theory, three yards will do it. I would go for four, maybe even five since the truck is coming anyway.

3dent:
There's an old saying that my father used a lot when I wanted to get friends to come over and help me with my chores. "One boy is a boy, two boys are half a boy, and three boys are no boy at all."
Yeah. These guys are church youth who I work with all the time. I have a boot. They have a butt. :D

What I have in mind now is to peal back the grass sod, level out the area, then replace the grass for the pool to rest on.

Charlie99:
I also figure 3 cubic yards.

18'x18' is 6x6yards = 36 square yards.

Average depth is 3" = 3/36= 1/12 yard deep.

36 x 1/12 = 3 cubic yards.

That's how I was going to calculate it, I agree.

Pete

Rember Rick, cut twice, measure once. :D

Marek K:
Damn, man, what has Jeff done to you today?

LMAO. I'm constantly getting IMs from cornfed at some ungodly hour of the morning, when I'm dragging around my house trying to figure out where I left my pants, whereas he's been at work for hours.

And considering the amount of abuse I give him about certain poor choices he has made in his life [like getting married], the coffee comment doesn't even come close to catching up....

Spectre:
some ungodly hour of the morning
like 8:30 or 9am...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom