Need Help From Math Geeks!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spectre:
Marek,
I've not had my coffee yet this morning so I didn't read very close. You have the hypotenuse as 18 feet... which is incorrect in your picture.... basically your triangle is upside down. The hypotenuse will be longer than 18 inches.
After the coffee is brewed you'll find that it doesn't make much difference.

cornfed:
Oh come on... I don't know how long you've been in Poland, but making fun of the french as replaced baseball as our national pasttime. If you start bringing reality into it we're going to have to stop.
I'll tell you, the Poles didn't take much more kindly to what Chirac was saying a couple years ago, either. Not regarding Iraq (don't forget who's running one of the divisions there!), nor more-recent controversy regarding the Euro-constitution.

Still, we've got a lot more common interests and cooperation with the French, than not.

I do understand what you're saying, about having to stop. :D

--Marek

cornfed:

Yea, but it helped me kill out all the damn trig thoughts.

To fill to what he wants, he needs 18x18x3" [half of if it was a cube]. so 81 cubic feet or 3 cubic yards. That's assuming it's square and not an 18 foot diameter pool, and that's leaving out the extra you need on the sides since you won't have a perfectly flush edge.

I'd say take down 9 inches to 3 inches.... get 3 yards of stone dust, roll and tamp it and re-level and call it a day [or two]

cornfed:
Damn, man, what have I done to you today?

And you're kind of a home-boy... We used to live up in Hanover, and I worked right on the border between Beltsville and Laurel. Then I had to start commuting to Suitland. *ptui*

Hmmm... commuting in the DC area... Come to think of it, maybe that explains your...irritability? :eyebrow:

--Marek

Marek K:
Damn, man, what have I done to you today?
Sorry, that was directed at Jeff.

Marek K:
And you're kind of a home-boy... We used to live up in Hanover, and I worked right on the border between Beltsville and Laurel. Then I had to start commuting to Suitland.
I work in Columbia so I take 29. Its a great commute because I'm going against traffic both ways. Traffic is always jammed going the opposite way but I'm cruisin'! :D

Yeah, yeah, yeah... That was the original plan - dig it down. But a guy I know has the same pool and did it with the Pea Gravel and claims it works perfectly (I haven't seen it).

I think you guys who came out with 3 cubic yards must be correct, although I highly appreciate the effort of Marek - graphic and all - who came up with an answer that gives me enough gravel to level out Manhattan :D .

Anyway, I think maybe I'm back to digging it level.

So, new math question.

Three teenagers with three shovels for approximately 3 hours in 88 degree heat will consume how much Mountain Dew?

Rick Inman:
Three teenagers with three shovels for approximately 3 hours in 88 degree heat will consume how much Mountain Dew?

Lets see. I leveled a slope that was 30 inches at the top side, and about 14' by 20' long. It took myself and a friend about 2 six-packs... including delays due to said consumption rate [yea... try using a level after 4 beers :)].

So I'd say at least a case.

cornfed:
Sorry, that was directed at Jeff.
Damn, man, what has Jeff done to you today?

On the other hand, it's better than me being still in your sights.
04.gif

cornfed:
I work in Columbia so I take 29. Its a great commute because I'm going against traffic both ways. Traffic is always jammed going the opposite way but I'm cruisin'!
04.gif
Lucky man.

"Government stuff," eh? Hmmm... :cheers:

--Marek

Marek K:
"Government stuff," eh? Hmmm... :cheers:
:wink:

Rick Inman:
Marek - graphic and all - who came up with an answer that gives me enough gravel to level out Manhattan.
Hey, I resemble that! Assuming a "square yard" of gravel is what you actually meant, my answer would mean you'd need 36 square yards... just what everyone else said!

I just had a prettier graphic...

Rick Inman:
Anyway, I think maybe I'm back to digging it level.
Must I point out that that's what my graphic assumed in the first place? :D

Did I mention how much Microsoft Paint time that took?

--Marek

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom