Need Help From Math Geeks!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ditto on the 3 cu yards geometrically speaking. You would want extra to allow for compaction, and in case the ground is on average a little depressed instead of perfectly flat. And if the pool is exactly 18x18 you can't just stop the gravel at the edge like a wall. It would have to go further, and/or maybe have a little retaining wall. You're talking about a lot of weight, the gravel is not going to just stay there.

HOWEVER - You don't really want to put a pool on gravel at all. If this is the typical vinyl liner job gravel wouldn't feel good underfoot and you can poke a hole someplace eventually. Even a few loose stones under a pool like that have a way of developing their own minds and poking out in annoying places. We always had a bed of sand under ours when I was growing up. But the sand is for fine tuning and cushioning. The proper way to level an area for an above ground pool is to dig out the ground to make it level (or if you'd like and the liner allows, some people make the edges level but curve it down in the middle maybe 6" to make the pool deeper.) But trying to build it up with fill isn't the right way, again it's a lot of weight.

(FWIW I'm originally a Civil engineer.)

Marek K:
Actually, it's been a standing joke that the U.S. Embassy here is the second-ugliest in town.

The ugliest has always been the French, just down the street.

The French have just finished completely remodeling their building. And guess what?

We're still the second-ugliest!!
Where are the pictures? We want proof!

El Orans:
Originally Posted by Marek K
Actually, it's been a standing joke that the U.S. Embassy here is the second-ugliest in town.

The ugliest has always been the French, just down the street.

The French have just finished completely remodeling their building. And guess what?

We're still the second-ugliest!!
Where are the pictures? We want proof!
Um, yeah... Real good idea these days, to be caught taking pictures of embassies! :D

As an American... by the French!

Marek K:
Um, yeah... Real good idea these days, to be caught taking pictures of embassies! :D

As an American... by the French!
What would they do? If they bother you just yell, "Je suis allemand!" and they'll run away.

(His post won't last long...)

Mine.

Marek,
I've not had my coffee yet this morning so I didn't read very close. You have the hypotenuse as 18 feet... which is incorrect in your picture.... basically your triangle is upside down. The hypotenuse will be longer than 18 inches.

Rick,
When I put in a patio a while ago, I didn't fill to level, I dug to level.... it might be a better/smarter/more sturdy option to dig down the 6 inches on one end and level out that way.

Marek K:
Have you checked out the relative kick-@$$ value of the French Army vs. the Bundeswehr lately?
Oh come on... I don't know how long you've been in Poland, but making fun of the french has replaced baseball as our national pasttime. If you start bringing reality into it we're going to have to stop.

Spectre:
Marek,
I've not had my coffee yet this morning so I didn't read very close. You have the hypotenuse as 18 feet... which is incorrect in your picture.... basically your triangle is upside down. The hypotenuse will be longer than 18 inches.

Rick,
When I put in a patio a while ago, I didn't fill to level, I dug to level.... it might be a better/smarter/more sturdy option to dig down the 6 inches on one end and level out that way.
That's what I wanted to verify as to what Rick meant. I assumed he wanted to dig down to level. And that his 18'x18' were measurements along the slanted ground surface; that is, the hypotenuse.

But re-reading his original post, maybe the whole trigonometry is unnecessary... if he needs to ultimately get up/down to an 18'x18' surface for the pool.

--Marek

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom