need help finding a dive watch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WIND N SEA

Reaction score
hey whats up
i found your forum because i need some help knowing what makes a good dive watch, where i can find one, what brands are trusted, etc

ive started snorkeling a few times a week for the last few summers, i want to get a watch that i can take into the water with me, but will also be nice to wear downtown or to a dive bar. so, something effective yet stylish.

ive been doing some searching on my own but im not really sure what to look for in a decent dive watch that will last me years or decades. while doing my research ive entered a few watch stores, dive shops, surf shops, even walmart, & spent hours searching online.

while chatting with a guy in a watch shop he mentioned how when a battery is changed in a watch the water resistance is compromised. said its like this for ALL watches. is this true? this had led me in the direction of wanting a SOLAR watch.

now obviously this dude was trying to sell me a $500 citizen eco drive.....
beautiful watch but a bit out of my price range. i am looking for something <$150
maybe 200 if its a must have deal.

two that i am looking at are:

oPCf6.png

80dxN.png

^ not solar but for that price reduction i could live with it LOL
the only thing that has me shook is that one of the reviews said something to the effect of "any serious diver would know better than to trust this company". why? is this thing going to fail on me? input appreciated.

and

bCrRQ.png

ubsE7.png

^^poor visibility on the face with the reversed lcd but there is a setting to make the light automatically come on whenever you tilt your wrist to look at it. g shock is kinda trendy these days but everything the watch offers is excellent.

ok, i know what youre thinking, "total over kill for snorkeling!" right?
i know, i know. but if im going to get a watch i want to enjoy wearing & enjoy looking at it on my wrist you know? bonus points if they ladies like it too.

so, please give me any sort of feedback or recommendations.
i would really appreciate it.

cheers,
andrew

G-Shock.

I've taken mine really deep, and really high in altitude and through all sorts of ridiculous punishment, and its great. Plus, it won't break the bank (I think I paid $60 for mine), which allows more money for...diving!

I've recently been dive watch shopping so maybe I can help a little. The idea that all watches lose their watertightness after a battery change is absurd. Any good watch technician can pressure test the watch after changing the battery to make sure the new gasket is sealing properly.

The two watches you posted about would not appeal to me in the slightest. The first one does not have a rotating bezel, which is essential to me, and I hate digital watches. Plus, they're both huge; the casio is almost 18 mm thick.

I have a seiko solar drive that's 38mm, 10 mm thick,, it cost about $200. It worked great for 5 years, then I dove with the crown loose, and it flooded, so I sent it back to seiko and for another $100 they replaced the movement and crystal. Maybe now I won't forget to screw down the crown when I change time zones. Unfortunately seiko does not make this model anymore, but citizen makes the eco drive for around $250 I think, maybe less. Princeton watches is a decent online retailer. The trick IMO is to find one with a 40mm or smaller case, but maybe you like larger cases. If so, you can get the seiko automatics, they have no battery and never need winding. I've seen a few of them, they're nice.

I recently bought a used Tag-Heuer because I didn't know when or if the seiko would get fixed, and I found a decent deal. It's another smaller case (38mm) watch, simple with a rotating bezel. Hard to believe people pay over a grand for new ones, but I guess some people have money to burn.

Have fun watch shopping!

Tags are worth over a grand easily. Like a quality firearm, it'll last a lifetime. And if you buy it from a quality jeweler they will take care of the watch for you.
OP, if your looking for a watch that will last you decades you will probably have to spend more than you mentioned. I don't think the Citizens have a saphire crystal and that is a prerequisite for a mens watch that will last decades.

Wind N Sea ... yes, you set it to the time you need to track ... like, Started dive at 8:25 .. rotate bezel to the 25 minute mark

I have a knock off of a Citizen Duplex dive watch by JEEP and use it to backup my dive computer. It shows depth and dive time, logs four dives, and I've replaced the battery once myself (watch back tool from e/bay) and it's still water tight.
If it fails , I think I would replace it with this one ... Momentum Nereos Duplex Dive Watch reviews and discounts, St. Moritz

yea that one is nice
im partial to the black watches myself

this forum is nice, i was gonna disappear after making a decision but i may hang around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom