need help finding a dive watch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, my 30 year old regs are still top-of-the-line. There is nothing that breathes better than my SP pilot. Regulators have not really improved in the last few decades, just gotten much more expensive.

Getting back to the question of whether or not a nice dive watch is necessary, the answer is no, it's not. Any reliable back up timing device will do the job. But, it is nice to have a dive watch, it is one of the few legitimate pieces of dive gear you can use on land without being a total geek, and a good one will last literally a lifetime.

Three SP Mk5 bal adjustable, metal and a Conshelf 14 I got from seal team member. I got the Conshelf for beach diving
And Matt, I have gotten strange looks carrying my spear guns to the car. I liked the Suunto d3 for freediving and I have always wanted a Citizen Promaster professional but couldn't justify a watch like that $$$$

This is the best dive watch for the money IMHO.
Both my wife and I use one.
JV0010-08E.jpg

+1 for the various Eco-Drive dive watches. Basic ones retail for less than $200, and they eliminate the whole problem of pressure checking after a battery change [to the extent that it's really a problem...].

Timex divers are also a possibility. Most of them retail for under $100 and work just fine.

When I started diving, I splurged on a nice Heuer dive watch. Looking back, I wish I had spent the money on other things that might have been more useful and rewarding. Nowadays, I buy the inexpensive Timex Ironman type watch at Wal-Mart or Academy. If I lose it or it dies, no sweat.

About a year ago, my wife gave me a St. Moritz (Momentum) M1 watch. It is a classic looking dive watch with blue face, blue rotating bezel and s.s. band. I really do love this watch. Price is a little over $100.00. For the money, I think it's a solid watch. Check out their website. They offer quite a few different styles.

I use a Timex Reef Gear as a backup timer to my computer. I bought an Invicta a couple years ago but really only use it as a nice looking topside watch (not that I don't trust it, it's just that the Timex would be cheaper to replace). The Timex has been fine for 10 years, even down to 100'. It was about $50 when I bought it and I don't worry about it getting lost or broken.

Back
Top Bottom