Need help choosing a doubles wing.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Out of Dive Rite Classic and Halcyon, which do you think is a better choice?

I own both, I almost always dive the Halcyon. Honestly, I can't recall the last time I dove the DR Classic.

I have/Had Halcyon, Oxycheq, Golem, HOG, DSS and UTD.....
I do 40# with AL80’s and HP 100’s.....
Anything bigger I have 55# and 60#......
I have a 55# HOG for sale......

Wow, admittedly I've rolled off the boat without my fins before, but this is new one for me. I love the improvisation though!

This happened about ten years ago. After that, I suggested here that an SMB could be a backup for a wing failure. I was widely panned for that. Now, I see it’s finally becoming more accepted as is solo diving.

Halcyon Evolve 40 is what you need right now for AL80s. It has a better shape than most wings which means the gas flow is smoother and the OPV is in an optimal position. It is the best wing for what you need.

When you need to move on to HP130s, get the 60lb wing.

Do not get a wing which tries to accomodate all cylinder sizes. Only use what you need. Do not get a double bladder or bungeed wing.

If you're sometimes diving wet I'd spend the money once and get a dual bladder.

To prevent operator error and prevent accidental inflation you don't hook up 2nd bladder unless needed. A puncture isn't the only way BCDs fail so there are uses for redundancy. After having my BCD worked on the deflate string bound up and randomly dumped entire bladder. That deco stop sucked. My wife also had her hose fall off after being serviced. I'm currently using the Hollis CX60 and like how the backup inflator is tucked out of the way unless needed. I didn't like the Hollis SMS100D in backmount where both inflators are in the front (its a combo BM/SM and has lots of compromises).

If you don't go dual bladder, or want quick backup I also use an AP Diving self-inflating DSMB on a wreck reel. Other than being almost too big for thigh pocket this is fantastic. It takes several turns to open tank so I don't worry about accidental deployment. You fill it yourself, and doesn't need VIP so you can remove valve for travel. I've used it many times during drift deco. It's like hitting the easy button.

Sam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom