Need help choosing a doubles wing.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chasep255

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just finished Advanced Nitrox / Deco Procedures and I want to put together a doubles setup. Right now I have two matching sets of HP 100 tanks and a drysuit. I am choosing between 45 lbs single bladder, 55 lbs single bladder and 57 lbs dual bladder wings. I plan on diving the following configurations...

HP 100 Doubles + Drysuit - Not sure if I should go with 55 or 42 lbs single bladder wing.
HP 100 Doubles + Wetsuit - 57 lbs dual bladder
AL 80 Doubles + Wetsuit - 42 lbs or 57 lbs dual bladder (not sure if I can do single bladder with this).

Can I get some opinions on what the best wing is for each configuration.

AL80 doubles+wetsuit-if you would dive a HP130 with a single bladder as most would, then you don't need a dual bladder
HP100's+drysuit-55, 42 is super marginal IMO for steel doubles since it has to float the rig at the surface without you in it.
HP100's+wetsuit, either don't do this, or bring a lift bag

You don't need 3 different wings for those configurations, just pick one that will work. The difference between a 42 and a 57 is surprisingly small in the water. Dual bladder is a different discussion but most opt against using them, myself included. I carry a lift bag and try not to do anything stupid like dive that configuration on a wall

I'll preface this with I have no experience with doubles yet, just starting to stick my toes in. I asked and was told go with the Dive Rite Classic XT. They said that the difference in size was negligible compared to other wings in the water and with it the sky's the limit. You can pretty much go with any set of doubles you want and add stages if and when when the time comes.

Dual bladder is different discussion (as @tbone1004 said)

I'm sure there's plenty out there, but that's what was recommended to me by several different people on here and elsewhere who know way more than me.

Hopefully you'll get more than he said / she said feedback....

AL80 doubles+wetsuit-if you would dive a HP130 with a single bladder as most would, then you don't need a dual bladder
HP100's+drysuit-55, 42 is super marginal IMO for steel doubles since it has to float the rig at the surface without you in it.
HP100's+wetsuit, either don't do this, or bring a lift bag

You don't need 3 different wings for those configurations, just pick one that will work. The difference between a 42 and a 57 is surprisingly small in the water. Dual bladder is a different discussion but most opt against using them, myself included. I carry a lift bag and try not to do anything stupid like dive that configuration on a wall

I probably would not want to wet dive the steel 100s somewhere I can't safely fall to the bottom. As for the AL 80s while I could swim them up it might be hard to hold a deco stop while having to constantly fin upwards. I already figure I am going to get one dual bladder wing and the single bladder one. Just not sure if I actually need three for these configs. I am thinking I can do the 57 lb dual bladder for wet steel 100s. Then I could do the 55 lb single bladder wing for drysuit 100s. I would like to still use dual bladder for AL 80s when wet just not sure if 57 lbs is way too much for that setup.

Where are you diving, ocean or fresh water?

Also, the shape of the wing makes a difference; what wings are you looking at? I've had people show up for classes with "budget wings" that were on clearance, well there's a reason the manufacturer was blowing those things out for $100/ea...

IMHO, I love the dive rite and halcyon wings. The Dive Rite Classic, which was recently re-introduced, is a fantastic wing. The Halcyon evolve is another fantastic wing. I currently dive the Evolve and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

For ocean with AL80s, I'd probably look at a 40# wing (the evolve 40 wins here, HANDS down). I also use that wing with LP85s in the ocean.

I looked at the double bladder wings and did not feel comfortable with them. All my life I have drilled buoyancy management from the left side and in the event of a wing failure during a decompression dive, I will have to drive a right-hand drive out of trouble? The second inflator is also blocking the d-ring where we clip the primary second stage during decompression stop. Basic 5, Valve drills, Decompression switch, everything that we drill in a decompresssion diving class becomes complicated with the second infiltrator obstructing that spot. In case inflator accidentally inflates, we will have to figure out which one is blowing the wing in order to disconnect it. Lastly, if anything is strong enough to rupture its way through the outer shell of a Dive Rite XT wing then those bladders lying on top of each other are not going to protect each other.

I can totally see why some agencies frown upon the dual bladder wing set up. It is a solution looking for a problem and brings a whole lot of other problems with it that do not have a clear solution. My suggestion would be to stick with drysuit and steel doubles or wetsuit with AL doubles. It is a much cleaner, more streamlined set-up that does not present a handful of complications on every single dive so that you may trouble shoot one complication that people rarely ever encounter.

As for the AL 80s while I could swim them up it might be hard to hold a deco stop while having to constantly fin upwards.

Well, I applaud your determination to swim up some AL80s but I think you’ll wreck the effectiveness of your deco stop with the HR you’ll be running. Why wouldn’t you train with your DSMB or lift bag as your secondary bladder so that you can calmly pull it out in the event of a bladder puncture and conduct a controlled (meaning calm) ascent?

A 40lbs wing is perfect for AL80s. It has enough reserve buoyancy to add a couple deco bottles and can light, etc. I even add an 11lbs V weight when diving dry, and it’s still enough buoyancy.

However, it is not enough for heavy steel tanks. I use a 60lbs wing for that.

Lastly, if anything is strong enough to rupture its way through the outer shell of a Dive Rite XT wing then those bladders lying on top of each other are not going to protect each other.

Word.

A 40lbs wing is perfect for AL80s. It has enough reserve buoyancy to add a couple deco bottles and can light, etc. I even add an 11lbs V weight when diving dry, and it’s still enough buoyancy.

However, it is not enough for heavy steel tanks. I use a 60lbs wing for that.

Ditto on a 40# wing for an AL80 twinset with two AL80 deco tins. I have plenty of reserve buoyancy even with the two deco tins clipped on.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom