Need Gear Setup Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ducst4

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

I am new here and have enjoyed reviewing the excellent, very informative posts.

I am a new AOW, 5' 6" , 160Ibs, age 40, and very fit. Took my OW in Asia 6 years ago but dived little due to work. Live in Central CA and will dive the CA Central/South Coast once a month. So temperature about +-55 F mostly. Will dive whenever I travel (once a year) and plan to take my gear with me including East Asia, Baja (mexico) etc.

I'm into recreational salt water dive only. May want to do deep dives to +150'. Will do nitro. No freshwater, cave, wreck etc.

I have little experience with equipment and my choices are based on reviews mostly. On a tight budget, but want to buy reliable/good/easy to use products with no need to upgrade later. Here goes:

BCD: Sherwood Avid -$360(purchased it already but can exchange since its unused) Comments on the 2005 Sea Quest Balance with integrated air and knive - $550- the octo was not rated well however? Other type ie back inflation etc?

Regulator: XS Scuba Seaair tri-metal $300 or Oceanic Delta 4/FDX-10 $450 - prefer XS as its $150 cheaper and the Oceanic environmentally sealed first stage is only necessary for very cold diving? or TUSA RS-460 X-Pert- $300 ?

Octo - Aeris Air Link $140 or Oceanic air XS2 $160. Atomic SS1 $230 - do I need an expensive octo?

Computer, incl compass and quick disconnect - Oceanic Veo 250 $510 (or $415 online) or Sherwood Wisdom $740. Read Wisdoms breakdown problem - seems for older models only? Is the Wisdoms compass on front face as computer easier/safer than Oceanics compass on reverse face? - this seems important to me, as I can view all dive details in a single view without turning the computer to view the compass? I prefer simple, clear instruments. The tech details seems similar. I'm not into downloading software etc. Oceanic price is very attractive.

Suit - will try 7mm Akona $160 or Henderson Gold Core/ Titanium -$450 for fit. If they both fit well, is the Henderson worth the price? Read Henderson has short life span? I have a 2mm warm water suit.

Tanks - just rent?

Warranty - Is the lifetime parts warranty very important - applies to Oceanic and TUSA? And is the extra cost worth it?

I plan to purchase from store +200 miles away to save $$$ but local dive stores (incl Sports Chalet) are available to service the brands. Is it a problem if I purchase a product with warranty elsewhere but send it for service to a local store which is also an authorised dealer? I called the manufacterer and they said no problem.

Any cheaper sources for the above equipment? I've surfed extensively.

I welcome all advice/critique and want to thank you all for this exceptional board.

Your bc is fine IMO. Why would you need an integrated air source and knife. You can get a blade for 25-50 bucks or shears for 15-20 that will be fine.
I'm partial to oceanic and would pick the delta based on my personal experience and the fact that the enviro seal is not just for very cold water. It can help in less than ideal conditions(silt, sand, algae, etc.) Also the dry valve technology is neat and could save a trip to service if it's accidentally dumped in the rinse tank without the dust cap.
Stay away from an integrated octo and go with a standard one. it's much easier in ooa situations and you can take it anywhere you go. I'd suggest the oceanic slimline(about 90 bucks) or the oceanic swivel octo(around 125) and it's good to go with your delta.
I use a veo 200 same as 250 just older model and love it. If you are console mounting it see if your dealer has one of the old navcon boots. compass and puter will both be on the front. We've made oceanic aware that their new console with compass and puter on different faces sucks. other option is get a wrist mount compass and puter and use a small independent spg.

It's ok to rent your tanks for now but later you'll want to buy, trust me you will. Being that you'll be diving in cal temps of 55 degrees or so I'd take the money I saved not buying tanks right away, you already listed the henderson as an option so price does not seem to be only factor, and check out a dry suit from BARE or similar. You can get into one with undies for around a grand if you look. Save 400 -500 not buying tanks and willing to spend 450 for wetsuit. there's 850 plus the 230 saved on computer=1080+30 or so on octo=1110+ 190 not exchanging BC=1300 dollars towards your dry suit and 365 days a year diving warm dry and as many as you want a day. Good rep and reviews on this board. I dive os systems but thats around 1500-1600 for my particular suit. Anything below 72 degrees and I'm diving dry. Last march I dove 3 dives in 53 degree water with 35 air temp and was comfy. Would not even attempt it wet.
Thinkabout it and let me know how you decide to go.
PS I would not even consider buying new life support gear without the warranty. Is it worth it yes. Have your reg serviced and batt in computer changed a few times and see if it's worth it.

1. 150ft dives are for well trained divers, not once a year travellers. Make sure you train well for this, PLEASE!

2. 150 ft dives means double tanks with double sets of regs. Not single tanks...

3. 150 ft dives means drysuit in many parts of the world, not only mine...

I agree with KOMPRESSOR. If your goal is to be doing deep 150' + dives then you need to revaluate your equipment choices. You are leave the recreational realm and entering technical diving.

I would choose the BC based on how it feels when you try it on. I'm tall and skinny, and it took me a while to find a BC (yes, I tried BPW too) that I was really happy with. There are a lot of good quality back-inflation BCs on the market.

I also don't like two-sided consoles. I often need to watch the compass AND depth gauge while swimming long distances in low visibility. Recently, I've settled on a wrist-mounted computer & handheld compass, which I can later clip off to a D-ring.

I don't know anything about XS-Scuba regulators, but I would be hesitant to choose based solely on low price. You'd probably be safer to shave that $150 off of your BC, wetsuit, or dive computer. Although I don't own one, many believe Zeagle regulators are among the best available for the money.

Hyperstretch wetsuits, unless you have money to fling around, may not be worth it. They feel great in the showroom, but they're delicate, and colder at depth. I've seen a lot of OW students fall in love with them because they're not used to how restrictive a brand-new properly-fitting wetsuit should feel. I have a few wetsuits from different manufacturers, but GOOD FIT is way more important than name brand!

For the octopus, I really prefer ones which can be breathed from the left or the right, so you can't donate it upside down. My favorite is the Aqualung ABS, but some friends have the Oceanic Swivel and it's also easy to deploy. I'll get flamed for this, but I don't really care if an octo is a high-performer... I prefer easy to deploy, easy to clear, resistant to freeflow, and having no knobs. Not that I'd recommend a completely cheesy octo, but when donating, I'd rather someone be able to clear it & breathe quickly.

For your warranty issues, stay well clear of Scubapro & Aqualung/Apeks. They make good stuff, but they absoltely don't warranty anything purchased over the phone or internet.

We here at Hollywoodivers wish more divers understood this about going beyond the recreational limits, especially on air. People think that they are the exception to the rule until they get bent. We all do stupid things from time to time but hopefully you learn from your mistakes. The best thing about doing technical diving is the thought that goes into planning the dive. I have seen/heard far too many divers try to decide where/what they are going to do only after they have jumped in while drifting down current. No matter what you wear/use/do while diving just make sure it works before you get in the water, especially with new gear. Above and beyond that dive as much as you can because there really is no substitute for experience. On that note, let's go diving!

Hi all,

I have to apologize about the depth I mentioned. I mean +100' - not 150' - its a typo mistake. I am a safe/careful diver and appreciate the comments. I know the limits of my capability.

To the gear comments (ie Jim and MrC)
I think i will go for the Oceanic delta4 reg.

On the Veo 250 computer - you mean all 3 gauges can be mounted on the front face?
I've seen during dives that a wrist mounted computer is prone to being lost ie overboard. I prefer to have the gauges and the compass all clearly visible in one single instrument.

For the octo I'll have to dive a bit more and see if I prefer the integrated or standard - If I go for the integrated I think it may be necessary to purchase the standard also. An unknown buddy familiar with a regular octo may not be familiar with an integrated. I guess its a personal choice from all the comments. what do you think?

I am purchasing all the gear from an authorised retailer, not over the net, as I want to discuss the setup/maintenance details with the shop. Its just that this dealer is 200+ miles away and i may need to go the local authorized dealer for warranty/service issues - will the local dealer entertain me? The local Sports chalet has said yes. Anyone with experience in this matter?

I do not want a dry suit as I am not that experienced yet. I prefer to go for a wetsuit for now. Does the Akona perform well in CA waters? My ultimate decision will be based on fit and comments.

Thanks

The Avid is a fine BC, I like mine fine and do similar diving.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1142032&postcount=2

No comment on the regulators except to disuade you from a combined inflator/alternate second.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1169848&postcount=3
Your Avid has an inflator, a modest alternate second stage is about $100.

Computer, I'd wait until you get back into the swing of things. Tables should serve you fine for now.
I'm partial to carrying full analog gauges. I like my Genesis Pressure, Depth Compass inline console. I plan to add my computer as a wrist mount.

Suit, the Henderson Gold Core is a fine suit. The durability complaints are usually regarding the hyperstretch product.

Cylinders, Buy when you can but it can wait. Understand cylinder specs:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1191538&postcount=16

Pete

ducst4:
Hi all,

I have to apologize about the depth I mentioned. I mean +100' - not 150' - its a typo mistake. I am a safe/careful diver and appreciate the comments. I know the limits of my capability.

On the Veo 250 computer - you mean all 3 gauges can be mounted on the front face?
I've seen during dives that a wrist mounted computer is prone to being lost ie overboard. I prefer to have the gauges and the compass all clearly visible in one single instrument.

For the octo I'll have to dive a bit more and see if I prefer the integrated or standard - If I go for the integrated I think it may be necessary to purchase the standard also. An unknown buddy familiar with a regular octo may not be familiar with an integrated. I guess its a personal choice from all the comments. what do you think?

I am purchasing all the gear from an authorised retailer, not over the net, as I want to discuss the setup/maintenance details with the shop. Its just that this dealer is 200+ miles away and i may need to go the local authorized dealer for warranty/service issues - will the local dealer entertain me? The local Sports chalet has said yes. Anyone with experience in this matter?

I do not want a dry suit as I am not that experienced yet. I prefer to go for a wetsuit for now. Does the Akona perform well in CA waters? My ultimate decision will be based on fit and comments.

Thanks

Consoles have a habit of getting crunched under the weight of a tank in a boat for that matter. I've crunched one console computer + two console compasses, and haven't lost a single wristmounted so far. Double bungee cord is the word.

Integrated octos may seem like a great "why not? Good idea!" But their all lesser worthy 2. stages, at least so far, in the market. For emergencies you would want the best, right? Get two equal 2. stages and alternate now and then so you can be sure they are both operative. As for your choice, the Oceanic, they might be good. I can't tell. They are not even in the market here... -Are you so sure they are good?

Drysuits are nothing to it. It's not difficult at all. I bet I could teach you the tricks in a dive or three, and I'm not even an instructor. Up here all OW courses are held with dry suits. It's not even an issue. And any dry suit diver can visit warm countries and dive wet without much preparations. If you have somewhat cold waters near where you live, a dry suit makes magic to your motivation to go diving. I have been swimming in the Pacific once. In the summer, in Mexico. It was darn cold! Typical dry suit temps I would say...

Give your local dealer a chance. Tell him the prices you've found and let him give you an offer. Consider the benefits of the service you have from him compared to the extra cost, and make a decission on that.

ducst4:
Hi all,

Thanks

As to the navcon boot. No all three are not on the face. Those consoles are still around but are too big and bulky IMO. The depth guage/or computer and compass are on one face and the spg on the other. If you are going to an oceanic dealer he will know what you are talking about and if he does not have an oceanic one available Sherwood and Genesis both make the same type console and the veo will fit in it. Also your console should NEVER be hanging free where it could get smashed. Put it on a heavy duty retractor like the one made by cetacea. This will keep it on top of the bc when you lay it down. The avid has a place for mounting it I believe and if not the retractor comes with a mounting plate so you can put it virtually anywhere. Any other questions PM me. I manage a shop and though we carry oceanic and sherwood as our primary lines I'll try to direct you towards the best stuff for your needs. It's no skin off my back to recommend other brands since you'd not be taking business away from us by going with different stuff. And stay away from two octos. go with a standard. If by some chance you travel and don't take your bc but do take your reg an integrated may not be compatible with the rental stuff. A standard octo always is because it's always on your reg and is not dependent on an ops equipment. Some integrated have different lp connectors and the integrated connector may not fit another BC. Also it seems from your query that you are not too familiar with an integrated. In an OOA you use the integrated and your buddy gets your primary. My question is how will you work your inflator when it's in your mouth? I know people do it. but for me I'd rather not have to try.

Back
Top Bottom