Need Gear Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

huskerdiver23

Registered
Reaction score
I am some what newly certified and recieved money for high school graduation and I would like to buy some dive gear. I pretty much have money for either a new bcd or a dive computer. My current bc is one that I scored at a garage sale and works fine except when I dive cold water with a 6 mm farmer john and 35lbs of lead, it doesn't seem to have enough lift in this situation. I don't have any of my own regs yet so I would like to get a wrist mounted gekko computer, or if I go the bcd route I would like to get a sea quest balance which appeals because of its ample lift and weight integration. I would like to know if you think a dive computer would be a good investment or a better performing bcd? Thanks for your input.

oh yeah and the majority of my diving consists of mid summer diving in a 3 mm suit that works just fine with my current bcd, its just in those early season dives that I have had some problems.

huskerdiver23:
I am some what newly certified and recieved money for high school graduation and I would like to buy some dive gear. I pretty much have money for either a new bcd or a dive computer. My current bc is one that I scored at a garage sale and works fine except when I dive cold water with a 6 mm farmer john and 35lbs of lead, it doesn't seem to have enough lift in this situation. I don't have any of my own regs yet so I would like to get a wrist mounted gekko computer, or if I go the bcd route I would like to get a sea quest balance which appeals because of its ample lift and weight integration. I would like to know if you think a dive computer would be a good investment or a better performing bcd? Thanks for your input.

Personally, I'd buy a reg before I bought a computer.

As for the BC, there are so many options to choose from, I have to ask. What are your plans for diving? How many different types and manufactures of BC have rented?

Brian

well I don't really have the money right now for a reg (although that will be coming as soon as possible) My LDS has dives at local lakes twice a week that I am getting involved in so I plan on diving alot, yet income limits equpment purchases. I like the information ease that computers offer yet I am thinking that weight integrated bcd with lots of lift might be good.

although I can buy a nice scuba pro reg through my LDS with octapus and analog gagues for a pretty reasonable price that would probably fall into my price limits now that I think about it.

Regulator first. They can last a long time (mine was bought in 1994), and you wouldn't put just anything in your mouth, would you?

garyfotodiver:
Regulator first. They can last a long time (mine was bought in 1994), and you wouldn't put just anything in your mouth, would you?

I agree with Gary. If you're diving cold water, I'd look at something like an Apeks or a Zeagle though. A friend has a brand new Scubapro that free flowed on him in cold water today.

Actually, I know the Zeagle costs less than the Scubapro too.

Brian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom