Need drift/river dive info...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are doing everything we can to avoid using boats and dive charters, if that helps. :) Basically, park the cars, get in somewhere free, get out somewhere free.

Thanks for the suggestions -- keep 'em coming.

Rum Island to Hwy 47 is a long way to drift without at least a canoe or kayak for support. You would probably be out of air long before you got there and then just drifting to get to your exit point.

I would suggest renting a kayak from Jim Woods and do it that way. Then when the dive is over, you can have an easy paddle, pack a lunch, drinks, etc.

Years ago, a buddy and I parked at 47 and walked thru the woods with our gear and got in the water and drifted back down. We both found several small shark's teeth on that dive. You could put in at the little known boat landing that's right at the West edge of Ginnie and drift down to 47. That would be about 2 miles or so.

After a lot of thinking we're going to scale these drift dives back a good bit.

People new to the region, new divers with us on the trip...you get the idea. Still hope to do a few drift dives though, just not as long. :)

A river drift dive is a whole different animal then your saltwater, 50' of viz drift dive.

Under no circumstances would I ever support anyone doing a drift dive from Rum Island to the SR 47 bridge

Under no circumstances would I ever support anyone doing a drift dive from Rum Island to the SR 47 bridge
The mentor that I am currently working with has been cave diving since the 60s, and doing that kind of drift dive was a REGULAR thing for him -- so I have a pretty different viewpoint.

Trust me, I'm from NC -- home of blackwater rivers where vis might be 3ft on a good day. Florida rivers are CLEAR compared to ours. :wink:

Unfortunately with all the rain recently I'm sure that has changed. I might have to cancel this trip if things don't miraculously clear up by tomorrow. :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom