Need Dive Flag Float Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

got4boyz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I want to do more shore diving and need some suggestions on dive flag floats; what to look for, what to avoid, any type you'd recommend, etc.

Also, would you please tell me if you usually pull them around with you or tie them off somewhere.

If you pull them around with you, how hard/easy is it, what do you have to watch out for, etc.

Thanks so much.

Doesn't anyone out there use dive flag floats who can give me some suggestions? Or does it matter at all which float I get?

This is the first time I've not received any advice to my questions! :(

got4boyz:
I want to do more shore diving and need some suggestions on dive flag floats; what to look for, what to avoid, any type you'd recommend, etc.

Also, would you please tell me if you usually pull them around with you or tie them off somewhere.

If you pull them around with you, how hard/easy is it, what do you have to watch out for, etc.

Thanks so much.
I don't much believe in them - I think they make you more of a target than anything else. That said, sometimes it's the law, so I have one. The two main criteria are visibility and portability, which are, of course, in conflict. Oh, yeah, and price.

Get one with as big a flag as you can find, make sure that the flag is supported so that it can be seen in no wind situations. Some actually have three sides flags which can be seen from all directions - probably a good idea.

If I'm diving from a boat, that's where the flag goes. If I'm diving from shore, I drag the flag out with me until I'm in water deep enough that I no longer need to worry about being hit by boats and then tie it off. You just need to remember where you left it.

My favorite is one similar to this: http://s1059kxm.leisurepro.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=1261&prmenbr=946. It doesn't take up much space in the back of the truck and waves frantically as I drag it through the water.

In every state in the U.S. there is some sort of law that says you must have a dive flag. Some of the laws call for both the alfa and regular flag. The size is determined by the state laws as well.
I beleive the size for floats is usually 16 in.
As for floats It don't much matter which you choose. I made my own out of a boat bumper I had sitting in my garage.
As for towing it around. Not hard in calm waters. But if your in water with big waves it can pull you all over the place. Then there's always the line entaglement to watch for. You must be aware of the line location.
Fred

Flags:

The three sided flags are great for visibility but catch a lot of wind and can be a pain to tow.

My preference is a two sided flag with a wire to support it. Many boaters don't know what they are and will drive up close to take a look anyway so visibility is highly over rated.

In many places it is the law and while I have seen many divers cited for not having a flag, I have never seen a boater cited for being to close to one. I will often tow a flag part way and then leave it anchored somewhere to pick up on the way back. It is illegal to be more than a 75 ft radius from the flag where I dive, but in some situations towing a flag can create more risks than it solves. Catching a flag line in a submerged tree while at 150 feet is a problem I prefer to avoid.

The type of float you want depends on the diving and the conditions. You can get a larger float that consistes of anylon or mesh cover that fits around an auto inner tube. These make good surface support and a place to keep your catch if you spearfish or recover anchors on a regular basis, but they are bulky and catch a lot of wind as well as current.

Locally we make and use the same type of float but based around a small garden tractor or trailer inner tube. They offer enough floatation to not get pulled under in a current but are still low drag. They also offer enough positive bouyancy to be useful as an asent line.

Another good choice is a torpedo shaped float. They come in two basic flavors. One is constructed from beach ball type material and is relativly cheap but not very durable and usually does not have a large enough flag to be legal. Another type consists of a nylon cover that again uses an inner tube for the bladder. A better choice as they normally have a large flag and are very durable but they are much spendier. THey are both however easy to tow and offer useful floatation.

I have seen more rounded beach ball type floats but they are not durable and the flags tend to snap off there little plastic mounts.

There are a variety of floats around with various types of foam used for the float and these work ok as long as the float is large enough to be effective. Smaller floats will get pulled under in a current and you will end up dragging them behind you at 150 ft. and they also may not offer enough bouyancy for ascent line purposes.

Flag lines:

I prefer to use a regular wreck or saftey reel to pull my flag but this requires some skill with a reel and some care to keep a bit of tension on the line to prevent an entanglement hazard.

I have also used one of the flat plastic dive "reels" that use poly rope from 1/8" to 1/4" diameter. They are cheap, simple to operate and the floating poly rope is an advantage in some situations.

My buddy I dive with has a cheap simple solution. Milkcrate, tube, and a flag tied to it. Get a tube small enough to jam milkcrate into it, tie it on, strap flag to milkcrate. It also allows us to carry some stuff out on a surface swim, or cool stuff we find. Rope is just in a bag in the milkcrate. We tie it to the bottom of the crate and anchor it. we don't tow it around though. Anchor it, pick it up at the end of teh dive.

Thanks all for your replies. I found one on Ebay that I like the look of but I wonder if it is too big. Any thoughts?

It is a round tube and the center is closed so you can put a light in it to light up at night. The tube is about 22 inches across, bright yellow and has DIVER DOWN in large black letters on the side. I like that idea, then nobody can say they don't know what it means!

The flag is 20 X 16 and goes across the tube as is secured on the sides and the top but the bottom hangs loose so the wind can blow through it. I think this my reduce drag.

It's also inflatable so it looks fairly portable since you can deflate it.

My only concern that is the tube is so big that the wind could push it around easy. Maybe not.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1300&item=3670546059&rd=1

A buddy of mine has one like that. It doesn't stick up very much so it's difficult to see in waves. Also, in the wind the flag ends up blowing parallel to the water so it can't be seen from the side at all.

Diverlady

If you need to have your float support something, like a game bag, or extra weights, or a long descent line of about 50 to 100 ft etc, then a nice innertube inside a brightly colored dive float is best. Oranges and yellows are easiest to see.

Metal zippers instead of plastic ones are better, with a heavy duty zipper better than a thin plastic one.

The dive flag should have an extending wire on it to hold it out.

For an anchor, you can use 3 bullet weights, for a total of about 6 lbs. It wont float too far away then, with the bullet weights. Be careful that you dont drag across coral however.

The dive float wont give you much if any "protection." Most boaters are either going too fast or are too beer-ed up to see it. Do your 3 min stop under the float, and if you hear a boat motor, stay down until the sound disappears.

That's the exact flag I have and I think it's great.

Back
Top Bottom