Need an extra undergarment layer under my drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

decidedlyodd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking to add another layer or possibly replace existing layers to my drysuit undergarment setup for more warmth during the colder times of the year.

I'm currently diving a Bare CD4 (4mm compressed neoprene suit) with the Bare CT200 (B200/210g Thinsulate) undersuit and either a general purpose merino or polypro base layer. In the winter, I'll often throw on a relatively thin, ratty old wool sweater for some extra warmth. I mostly dive in Puget Sound, so 42F/5C to 50F/10C temperature range.

I'm also currently looking at finally ordering a new made-to-measure suit in the next few months. It'll almost certainly be a trilam for faster drying, less weight out of the water and no compression at depth. Whatever I get to make my current suit warmer, I'd like to work with a future shell suit too, most likely as an additional layer.

Systems like the Fourth Element undergarments look promising since they appear to be designed for layering. I'm overwhelmed by all the options and their site doesn't really provide information on typical configurations or temperature ranges.

Can anybody provide some recommendations for or insight into some good options?

at some point extra layers are going to be too restrictive. If you are getting cold, and already wearing significant insulation, you might want to look at electric underwear.

I tend to get a little cold on some longer scooter dives, while some others like to brag that they were sweating a bit in their electric underwear :)

I'm a big fan of Cabela's lots of good cold weather gear there. Fleece, wool, etc...lot's of variety and selection

Prices always seem to be better than "dive" specific undergarments.

This is our first winter of diving and are in the PNW. Right now I have been layering the Polar Fleece that I wear for skiing under the Bare T-100 that came with my used suit. Last couple dives we have done have gotten a little chilly.

We have looked at several and heard several opinions. 4th E, Weezle, Whites, ect. All look good and all have advantages and disadvantages and price all over the place.

One we are kinda leaning toward right now is the White MK3. They seem quite good and they on sale, Glacier MK3 Undergarment - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

The 4th Element line is very good for layering and very warm for the amount of bulk, and the price. Excellent thermal properties when wet (from personal experience :D).

That said, I am hearing great things about the White's Thermal Fusion as well.

I went with Underarmor cold gear as a base layer this year and am pissed that I waited so long to do it. We have a UA outlet store here and got a complete set with an extra t shirt and a pair of UA boxers for $100.00. But I've also been looking at Cabela's ECWS line. Fourth Element is nice stuff, I have a hat, gloves, and heavy socks. But they are expensive and the one dealer they have near me is not a place I want to do business with.

Thanks for the ideas everybody. Wouldn't a 400g garment or similar like thermal fusion or mk3 be too much with a 4mm neoprene suit? Anybody diving this kind of combo? I've actually dove the CD4 with just a swimsuit in August in southern California (60-70F) without getting too cold at all, so it has a decent amount of insulation.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

If you are really looking just for something to wear as a base layer, we have been very happy with the stuff made by Kam Gear in Ballard. It's heavier than the 4th Element Dry Base, but not so heavy as to make a big difference in weighting, and it's warm and durable, and not as expensive as dive stuff.

If you a cold right now with a base layer and 200g thinsulate going to 400g or similar is really your next step. You also say you looking into buying a shell suit so you will lose the insulation you have now...........

Temperature is all relative. When we went to HI last spring I took my 7mm full wetsuit because it is what I owned and didn't not want to buy another one. In the PNW ALL the diving I have done you go in warm-hot and come out cool-cold. In HI we did hour long dives and I went in warm and came out warm. I could have gotten by with less and been just fine. So with thicker garments you may start out warm but diving in 50* water you will never come out at the same temperature you went in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom