BARE SB Mid Layer and Temperatures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

suricatasuricata

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all,
I have a BARE SB Mid Layer that came along with my BARE Trilam suit. I have never used it and I am trying to understand the temperature ranges that this'd be appropriate for (with a suitable base layer). Specifically, I am planning to use this locally in Monterey, where the suggested undergarments are something like Thinsulate 400 g/m^2 with a vest/base layer depending on diver's condition.

Unfortunately/Annoyingly enough, I haven't found reviews online or any information on BARE's site on how the SB Mid layer compares. It is entirely possible that I have missed something, but I was hoping to get some thoughts from anyone who has used it.

Thanks!

Judging by the pictures it looks like a medium weight fleece, which for me would be something I would be comfortable in upper 50 degrees water provided I was wearing a thicker base layer like under armor cold gear. If I was wearing a thinner wicking only base layer with a mid weight fleece, I would want to be in low 60 and up. For high 40-low 50, I have thicker base layer and medium weight thinsulate jumpsuit. Any lower than that I’m just reading about diving.

Thanks for responding. My understanding is that the minimum water temperatures in Monterey are 51F and average is around ~55 F. Currently, what I was thinking of for a base layer is what I use for Snowboarding, i.e. Hot Chillys midweight layer. I am guessing that should be comparable to your Under Armor, but it seems harder to compare without quantitative metrics (or I am missing which ones to compare hah).

The only way to find out is to dive what you have. It won’t be terribly cold, maybe a bit uncomfortable after twenty minutes.

I have used it as well as a few people I know and it is borderline for Monterey. If you are a warmer person you might get cool at about an hour. I ended up being very cold around an hour.

I ended moving to something warmer, but I am always cold.

Curious what you ended up using?
I ended up in a 4th element arctic expedition with a dui vest. I'm good for about 2 hour dives.

My budy moved to the BARE high loft extreme and he says he is really comfortable now.

Edit: Darn you autocorrect!!!

I dove with it in 42F (5.5C) water for a ~45 min dive, and it was comfortable. Did not need anything beside it. But as everyone here says, cold tolerance is personal.

Yep, makes sense. A few dives in Monterey in, I feel like it is fine at 55 F for ~45 min or so, but I don't feel comfortably warm. I may get Santi 400g thinsulate like everyone else here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom