Need advice on what to do about error in custom dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
I think you should insist that they remake the suit. You paid $2,400 for a custom suit. Why should you settle for boots that are too small? Or a cuff dump when you ordered a shoulder dump?

(Grateful Diver)

OUCH! For $2400 they should be carrying your tanks to the dive site for a month, giving you some instruction if you so desire, and rubbing your toes after the dive! :D

Seriously, there should be NO settling, it should be perfect, and I'm serious... perfect. It should dump easily, no leaking valve, and for that kind of money I would have though a front zipper would be in order, or maybe you prefer a rear zip?

In any event, they can easily change out the boots, or at least I assume so. But the zipper, and dump, well that is a different matter I *think*. I don't make these things, so maybe they can redo the top without remaking the entire thing, but when you lay down that type of cash, these are issues that you should NOT have to worry about.

Take it back, get them to do whatever it takes to make it right, and be as big of a pain in the *** as necessary IF that is necessary.

biscuit7:
I'm talking about White's placement, not anyone else's. It may be that the manufacturer put it "where it goes" not in some sort of odd spot where they feel it shouldn't go.

I wholly agree that the boot size issue needs to be fixed and the OP needs to contact the shop/ds manufacturer and have all concerns addressed.

R

Sure. My comment was just meant to show that a BE suit doesn;t need to have a dump valve in a weird place.

If it's really the case that the diver has to almost invert themselves to dump, then that'd be like buying a BCD with only dump valves on the bottom -- I think that'd be sent back to the store pretty quickly!

RonFrank:
OUCH! For $2400 they should be carrying your tanks to the dive site for a month, giving you some instruction if you so desire, and rubbing your toes after the dive! :D

Seriously, there should be NO settling, it should be perfect, and I'm serious... perfect. It should dump easily, no leaking valve, and for that kind of money I would have though a front zipper would be in order, or maybe you prefer a rear zip?

My vote's on sending in the ex-lawyer hubby for a little "chat" :)

It's not a matter of being a PITA. It's a matter of getting what you paid for. Also agree with Ron that a front zip may have been a better choice for that kind of change. We could have put you in a full custom, front zip, with 2 sets of undergarments and commercial dry glove set up for around 1900 including tax and shipping. Of course you'd have to fly here :11: or fly me out there:14: to take your measurements:D . BTW it would not be a long wait either for shipping. OS is out of Scappoose, Oregon. You could probably drive up to the factory yourself!

TSandM:
My husband has a back entry High Tide, and the dump is not on the front of the shoulder.

While I agree that you shouldn't settle (unless you get a good rebate), the dump valve should be very workable. This sounds like where the White's suits put the dump.

I had trouble on my first dive, but looked on this board for hints on dumping more effectively. The dump works very well in a vertical position with your hand on your BCD's inflator hose. If in a horizontal position, put your left hand behind your head (on your neck), and tilt slighly to your right. It will then dump very easily.

The key is to put your hand behind your head, as this gets your arms up just a little bit more. The suit is probably very easy to dump, but you just don't know the proper motion yet.

But, again, I feel that if you pay the bucks for a custom suit, then you should get what you paid for. Either ask for a rebate, or get it fixed to your preference.

- ChillyWaters

ChillyWaters:
If in a horizontal position, put your left hand behind your head (on your neck), and tilt slighly to your right. It will then dump very easily.

The key is to put your hand behind your head, as this gets your arms up just a little bit more. The suit is probably very easy to dump, but you just don't know the proper motion yet.

- ChillyWaters
Almost like a valve drill... Oh wait, nevermind.

If it isn't right, the shop should have NEVER even thought about asking you to settle for a "fix". They should have sent it back. PERIOD! A custom suit is a big investment. You will NEVER be happy with it if you settle for a patch job & you will feel cheated. Yes, you could probally live with it but you should not have too. I would NEVER try to do that to one of my customers. The reputation of the shop is well worth them dealing with the manufactor over this problem. THEY are the ones who need to be jumping down the manufactors throat. If they are trying to shirk their responsibility, you need to find a different shop AFTER you get the suit REMADE!

The manufactor will not want your suit out in the public like it is if they are worth a cent either. They would want a chance to protect THEIR reputation as well. You owe it to everyone involved to insist it be remade.

James

A particular thank you to JimLap and Whitelightnin . . . as shop owners or dealers, your opinions are very useful to me in that you would expect someone to want to get it right.

Disclaimer- I am an instructor for the lds, though I have nothing to gain or lose, regardless of the end result of this situation.

From a consumer standpoint, I do have thoughts on this that have not been addressed in this thread. I too ordered a custom drysuit 3 or so years ago (from a different drysuit manufacturer). Many many measurements were taken to achieve the proper fit. About 8 weeks later, the suit came in. It was a front entry suit, and the zipper was placed too high, so much so that I'm sure I'd blow the zipper out within a couple of months...suit had to go back. It was decided by the manufacturer that it could not be repaired, so they'd make another. 10 weeks later I received the second drysuit....zipper was positioned perfectly, but the torso area was 4" too short....suit had to go back. 3 months(!) later, I received the suit back. Fit perfectly, but the valve was placed wrong (similar to your description. I had asked for it to be on the cuff and it was placed forward, almost on the bicep). At this point it had been well over 7 months so I just accepted it and learned to adjust to it, and eventually had it moved to the cuff when I was on vacation and didn't need the suit.

I recently just purchased a drysuit from the same manufacturer as yours, Lynne. I asked for my (variable) valve to be on the cuff and received it that way. I do valve drills on every (non-teaching) dive, and shoot a bag on probably every 3rd dive or so and it has not been a problem for me in the least, I much prefer it on the cuff.

I'm not trying to sway your decision one way or another, and I think the boots need to be changed. Before making your decision, think about whether it's worth the inconvenience of waiting for another suit (I have no idea how long it took for yours to arrive, but since it's custom I'd imagine a month or so) or whether you can adjust to the valve being where it's at or if you can accept it on the cuff.

I personally have a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to custom suits, and while I do agree that the valve placement is a big inconvenience, I have yet to see a custom drysuit produced exactly to the order specs.

Just something to consider.

I think what I might do is go ahead and try the replacement of the valve, reserving the option to send it back and have it remade if I don't like how that works. That might solve everybody's problem.

I want to reiterate that the shop is working with me to get this resolved. The only complaint I have is that I think somebody should have been able to look at the suit and realize that the valve placement was faulty before it was shipped. And the boots, of course . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom