Need advice on what to do about error in custom dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
My new, custom dry suit came in the other day. I went to try it on in the shop, and the boots seemed too small, but the shop suggested I might not need two pairs of socks with them, so I thought I'd try them out anyway.

I took the suit diving and discovered something I hadn't noticed in the shop. This is a back zip suit, and the zipper has been placed so that it curves up along the top of my arm. This pushed the exhaust valve well onto the FRONT of my shoulder. It is in a position so that the only way it can be the highest point of the suit is with me lying on my back. No contortion of my arm or rolling of my body will vent the suit otherwise. (I had a couple of uncontrolled ascents before I figured that out, but luckily we were in very shallow water.) In addition, the valve leaked, not badly, but it did.

I took the suit back to the shop where I bought it, where we checked the boot size and found that the boot on the suit is 1 cm smaller than the sizing boot we used to fit it. The shop also confirmed that the position of the dump valve is pretty much unworkable. Their suggestion was to fit the suit with a cuff dump, but they also agreed that the company needs to redo the boots.

I initially agreed to try the cuff dump, but a couple of people have told me I shouldn't have to settle for that. I'm not crazy about the idea, because I'm worried that it will cause problems dumping the suit inadvertently when doing stuff like shooting bags or valve drills, but I was willing to try it.

Someone has suggested that, given that the boots need to be redone AND the valve/zipper is wrong, I should simply insist that they remake the suit.

What would you do? And especially, what HAVE you done if you've had similar problems? And if any dry suit manufacturers would like to weigh in here on what they would be willing to do, or would feel obligated to do in such a situation, I'd appreciate it. I don't want to be unreasonable, but the suit was not cheap.

Wow. This stinks and we all have read about this kind if thing happening way too often. Sorry. It does happen with custom orders at times and you won the crappy lottery.

SO, I agree that you shouldn't settle in any way, shape, or form. You paid to have that suit made FOR YOU and you paid MORE and waited LONGER. It has to be perfect. Accept nothing less than perfection and of course this can be done in a friendly manner. Good luck!

Don't settle for the cuff. You can "settle" when you've had the suit for 5 years and you're patching it up yourself. This thing is brand new, so you've probably paid a good penny for it. I wouldn't settle until the boots and the valve are fixed to your liking. Make the shop deal with this problem, don't handle it yourself. Good luck!

I think you should insist that they remake the suit. You paid $2,400 for a custom suit. Why should you settle for boots that are too small? Or a cuff dump when you ordered a shoulder dump?

If the zipper placement is such that a workable shoulder dump isn't possible, they should not have offered that configuration as an option.

The people who make these suits are divers too ... they should make sure that you get a suit that you can dive with relative safety and comfort. If they cannot do so, then they don't deserve your business.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Not sure about the manufacturer of the suit, but I had a White's suit that had the dump valve in the same place and "that's just where it goes!" according to everyone I know. Because of the rear-entry it necessitates moving the dump valve forward and, yeah, it sucks. I don't dive that suit anymore.

Rachel

Lynn,
You did not say who the manufacturer of the suit was and that's ok. We sell OS Systems suite and occaisionally there is an error. If it's something relatively minor some people will overlook it. But what is minor is different for each person. A boot too small, even just a 1/2 size may not seem like much. Maybe you won't need 2 pairs of socks to get it to fit. But I know you dive PNW and what if you NEED that second or even third pair of socks for warmth. Or it may be ok for a short easy dive. But what if you take tech and need to do a 1 hr deco and the dive is in strong current where you have to do alot of kicking. Me thinks your feet will not like that too small boot.
As for the cuff dump I would advise against it. Your concerns are legitimate regarding proper dumping on ascent or accidental dumping when performing tasks. If this was your 3rd or 4th drysuit it might not be any big deal. But if one is new to drysuit diving or is used to a shoulder dump moving to a cuff may not be that easy. A cuff dump also to me seems to get in the way for certain things. A shoulder in the right place is easy to vent, is out of the way, and does not interfere with tasks and inflating or deflating your bcd. I paid over 1700 for my semi custom with tax and stuff. If there had been any of the issues you noted with mine it would have went right back! You do not have to settle for anything. I know you know this but I will reiterate for those who may be reading this thread and not realize that a drysuit, like your reg and bc, is not just to keep you warmer. It is back up buoyancy, and this along with warmth in extreme conditions makes it LIFE SUPPORT EQUIPMENT. Any problems with said item has an effect on it's value as such. Too small boots life affecting? Maybe if your mind is on how much your feet hurt and you miss a critical issue with your gear somewhere else. Bottom line: Take it back and get what you paid for!

biscuit7:
Not sure about the manufacturer of the suit, but I had a White's suit that had the dump valve in the same place and "that's just where it goes!" according to everyone I know. Because of the rear-entry it necessitates moving the dump valve forward and, yeah, it sucks. I don't dive that suit anymore.

Rachel

I dont agree. I have a back entry DUI TLS suit, and the dump valve is fine (well, not in 100% the place that I want it but it dumps fine, and I could move it to where I want it without obstructing the zipper)

Some comments on this case:
1) For that much money you should probably be able to get a DUI/TLS350 custom front entry with pockets, pads etc.
2) As others have said, for that much $ it needs to be right
3) the D/suit maker is probably the one that needs to be contacted. I am guessing the store might end up being the ones who have to pay for a do over, so they might not have the biggest incentive here...

scubadobadoo:
SO, I agree that you shouldn't settle in any way, shape, or form. You paid to have that suit made FOR YOU and you paid MORE and waited LONGER. It has to be perfect. Accept nothing less than perfection and of course this can be done in a friendly manner. Good luck!

exactly

you paid for a CUSTOM suit. you are not getting a custom suit if it doesn't fit you
and doesn't work.

very politely explain to whoever asks that you expect a custom suit since that's what you're paying for. if they can't deliver, then you'd like your money back, please.

I had a White's suit that had the dump valve in the same place and "that's just where it goes!" according to everyone I know.

My husband has a back entry High Tide, and the dump is not on the front of the shoulder.

If the zipper placement is such that a workable shoulder dump isn't possible, they should not have offered that configuration as an option.

I pretty much agree with this statement.

BTW, there is no question about the boots being redone. Once we were sure it was not a measurement error in the shop, that was a given.

I have to admit I'm surprised that the consensus is so strongly that it should be remade. I guess I'm just too worried about being a PITA customer.

limeyx:
I dont agree. I have a back entry DUI TLS suit, and the dump valve is fine (well, not in 100% the place that I want it but it dumps fine, and I could move it to where I want it without obstructing the zipper)

I'm talking about White's placement, not anyone else's. It may be that the manufacturer put it "where it goes" not in some sort of odd spot where they feel it shouldn't go.

I wholly agree that the boot size issue needs to be fixed and the OP needs to contact the shop/ds manufacturer and have all concerns addressed.

R

Back
Top Bottom