Need advice on next dive destination please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

on a different post I suggested my group to Bonaire in May.. ..Advance certification and nitrox certification can be easily arranged thru myself as I offer advance and any number of specialties on the trip.

We're now tentatively planning to attend the DAN Hyperbaric CME Conference on Dominica in April/May, but I gotta say your trip sounds delightful. I like the fact that the host of the trip is also offering certifications, and that you're going to be taking photos and making them available to attendees. Perhaps we'll go along on one of your future trips!

Just a note regarding Bonaire. Please understand I am speaking as someone who just underwent surgery for a total knee replacement. I loved some of the diving in Bonaire, those dive sites that were done off a boat (mostly over to Klein Bonaire although we did persuade the crew to take us to some other sites a bit north. Most of the shore diving was VERY difficult with my knees. We hired an excellent guide to watch over my daughter and her friend (both new divers) and to show us the highlight spots. I also enjoyed the sites that could be reached off the docks. Many talk about how easy shore diving is and I'm sure they are sincere. But walking across coral uneven bottom lugging scuba gear?? No, it is NOT easier than diving off a boat. I laugh whenever I hear that. Again, consider the source.
The suggestion of the resorts around Belize should be considered seriously. Especially Tuneffe island lodge which I think fits your requirements to a "T". Also Roatan should be on your radar. Cocoview has a well deserved reputation as one of the friendliest resorts in the world with mostly returning divers. Food there is adequate and accomodations are clean and quite roomy. Water temps are usually well above 80 and the house reef/wreck is outstanding and it less than 3 hours out of Houston. I'm returning to Fiji in March and in my opinion south pacific diving is > than the caribbean (perhaps the anenome fish are a big part of the draw, I just love them:). Fiji is only about10 or so hours out of LA.

The suggestion of the resorts around Belize should be considered seriously. Especially Tuneffe island lodge which I think fits your requirements to a "T". Also Roatan should be on your radar. Cocoview has a well deserved reputation as one of the friendliest resorts in the world with mostly returning divers.

Yes, our local dive shop has an excursion coming up to the Coco View. Unfortunately, it's now full. But that explains why they keep going back there!

Matt, if you are looking for warm weather and crystal clear waters, then you should come down to the Bahamas for a week on the Avalon with Lost Island Voyages, which is a family owned and operated live aboard company. The Avalon is a 65 foot ketch rigged sailboat designed for diving the remote areas of the Bahamas. It has 6 cabins that comfortably accommodate 12 guests.

Live aboards are a great way to just forget decision making, relax and enjoy! Plus there is a divemaster on board who can work on advanced certifications with you guys. Food, wine, rum and beer is plentiful for when you aren't diving, and of course if the winds give an opportunity to sail you are welcome to get involved as little or as much as you'd like.

Most of all, the people are great! You meet new people who are out enjoying themselves just like you, and the crew is there to make the vacation everything you've always dreamed of while having some fun with you along the way!

Bahamas Scuba Diving | Liveaboard Diving | aboard Lost Island Voyages 305-756-7762 office

Bonaire! It is an excellent next trip! It is fairly easy to get to from the East coast. There are many choices for places to stay.

We just had a group there in late Oct. Everyone had a great time.

Glad to hear that you had fun in Cayman! Little Cayman is another option.

In the fall we are doing WAKAOBI. It should be on your list!

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt, if you are looking for warm weather and crystal clear waters, then you should come down to the Bahamas for a week on the Avalon with Lost Island Voyages, which is a family owned and operated live aboard company. The Avalon is a 65 foot ketch rigged sailboat designed for diving the remote areas of the Bahamas. It has 6 cabins that comfortably accommodate 12 guests.

Live aboards are a great way to just forget decision making, relax and enjoy! Plus there is a divemaster on board who can work on advanced certifications with you guys. Food, wine, rum and beer is plentiful for when you aren't diving, and of course if the winds give an opportunity to sail you are welcome to get involved as little or as much as you'd like.

Most of all, the people are great! You meet new people who are out enjoying themselves just like you, and the crew is there to make the vacation everything you've always dreamed of while having some fun with you along the way!

Bahamas Scuba Diving | Liveaboard Diving | aboard Lost Island Voyages 305-756-7762 office

.Only a renewed/insured instructor can issue the advance certification..Not a divemaster.unless that person working as a dm is also a instructor.

Hi Matt

To get to the best unspoilt dive areas you have to go further afield than the Carribbean, and for such long trips I reccomend you get a bit more into your diving. A destination close by and equally as good, if not better is Nassau in the Bahamas. You have a huge choice of hotels from budget to ultra luxurious and Stuart Coves picks up from all the hotels. Of course the best diving in the Bahamas is The Exuma land and Sea Park which requires a liveaboard to get to. But the South side has about 24 nice dive sites that are a short boat ride, and weather conditions are normally good.

Doing your advanced is a good idea, for about $210 you get study materials, cert fees and 5 dives. Almost what you would pay just to do the five dives.

Stuart Cove has a large VERY well organised photo shop with rental cameras. Choose photography as one of your elective dives for your advanced course, taking photos underwater requires some skill training. Otherwise you are going home with boring blue snapshots.

Divers are generally nice people, you will meet plenty on your dive trips at almost any destination.

If you are serious about diving, I suggest getting your own basic equipment, even a low end set will serve you well and save you a ton of money in the long run.

Hope this helps a little
Bryan

Where ever you choose to go, check your instructor is actually a certified instructor. Just as you are required to show proof of your certification, so are they. You will be amazed at how many resorts use unqualified staff. Get what you are paying for.

I recently watched one of those True Crime shows about a scuba diving couple who bought and lived aboard their own boat. (They were abducted and killed, but that's another subject.) It really looked like a marvelous way to live. Now that we have gotten scuba certified, my wife and I are trying to decide what's next. I was thinking that sailing would be an ideal next skill to acquire, since I could do it while on scuba trips.

Is it really possible to gain some sailing and boating skills while on a live-aboard driving trip? Seems like a nice marriage of activities.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom