Need advice on next dive destination please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, my wife, son and I just got certified at Sunset House on Grand Cayman. Water temp 81 degrees Fahrenheit.

We're thinking about doing another trip in April. The question is where.

Here's what I'd like:
  1. Similarly warm water
  2. The opportunity for another certification (e.g. Advanced)
  3. A bit more luxury
  4. A few more things to see under water (especially marine life)
  5. The availability of rental cameras
  6. And above all, very nice people
Any suggestions? Thanks! --Matt

I would suggest Grand Turk, with Blue Water Divers. I would also suggest forget about renting a camera. You're still a brand new diver. Concentrate on enjoying the dive. As a new diver, it would be far too easy for you to stop paying attention to your buoyancy or even air supply if you're task loaded. If you really want some pictures or footage of a the dive, buy something like the go pro Hero, where you clip it to somewhere on your body, and forget about it...

Key Largo sounds perfect for your travel time limits, easy diving, and nice accommodations.

Sounds great! Thanks for the recommendation. Looks like the water temp varies depending on time of year. I like about 80 degrees, so looks like May or September would be good months.

I would suggest Grand Turk, with Blue Water Divers.

Lots of people have been suggesting Turks & Caicos, there must be something to it! Thanks, I'll check it out.

I would also suggest forget about renting a camera. You're still a brand new diver. Concentrate on enjoying the dive. As a new diver, it would be far too easy for you to stop paying attention to your buoyancy or even air supply if you're task loaded. If you really want some pictures or footage of a the dive, buy something like the go pro Hero, where you clip it to somewhere on your body, and forget about it...

The Go Pro takes fabulous photos. That's a great suggestion.

Hi Matt
Consider Bahamas, its close and has a variety of dive sites in easy dive conditions. Stuart Coves is a good choice, or try one of the liveaboards going to the Exumas. I no longer dive, but am happy to give advice on traveling and scuba gear purchases based on 15 years working worldwide in the industry. Visit my new blog SCUBA advice and opinions or email me directly on bentdiver@live.com
Bryan

Consider Bahamas, its close and has a variety of dive sites in easy dive conditions. Stuart Coves is a good choice

Thanks! I'll check it out!

Dude, you need to change the background, I can't read half of the white text against the background.

Okay, I should have said a little bit luxurious, not super pricey. Sunset House on Grand Cayman is pretty much a set of apartments with good scuba facilities, not a resort to my mind.

Also, I should have said somewhere in the Caribbean, because I don't really want to fly for 20 hours to get some place.

Several people mentioned Cozumel, but I bet we're not yet ready for drift diving.

Someone I spoke with said Belize is a great dive destination.

Don't think I'm ready yet to live on a boat.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I like the idea of going to some place with people I "know", even if only on Scuba Board. But I'm concerned that drift diving might be advanced for my skill level.

By the way, I'd like to do the Advanced Diver certification on this trip. I'm taking the online portion now.

Matt
on a different post I suggested my group to Bonaire in May..I have something like 8 spots left at this time.Flight time out of Newark is 4 1/2 hrs...people on this trip range in age from 30's to 60's ..Advance certification and nitrox certification can be easily arranged thru myself as I offer advance and any number of specialties on the trip.Cameras are available for rental at the dive dock at our location on Bonaire,and I shoot images that all on the trip can have a digital copy of for free just for the asking. PM if interested. Excuse me if this post is wrong,just attempting to assist you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom