Need advice on mask and snorkel for beginner!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mftomohawk

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am very interested in snorkeling and scuba diving and I have been doing a bit research on gears. It seems that I only need a mask and snorkel to start. A girl told me that rental from sport chalet pretty much covers everything I need. Therefore, I am in the market for some new mask and snorkel. Do you guys have any advice on masks and snorkels?
From research, I heard that masks do not fit equally on ppl. I am 5-8, 140lb asian. Slim build. Anyone have any suggest? If so, how much would I have to spend and where can I buy? ebay? or there are cheaper online retail store? Your help is appreciated, thx.

Is $50 for mask and $30 for snorkel a bit too expensive?

I'm not going to tell you which mask to get, but I will tell you the correct way to check it for fit. Also don't waste your money on the masks with the purge valve. As for the snorkel, get one that blocks water from entering the tube and drains automatically.

The method for checking mask fit is really quite simple, but the sales people will usually tell you to suck it onto your face. Using that method, any mask will fit snuggly.

Take the mask and hold it to your face without the strap in place. Take a breath through your mouth and hold it. Gently press the mask to your face. It should stay there as long as you do not exhale through your nose. If it starts to come loose, try a different mask.

Enjoy.

And have your snorkel in your mouth....makes a diff.

$80. for the pair is in the ballpark though the mask may take a slightly bigger bite.

Go to a local dive shop and get some help fitting the mask. Online is no way to buy a first mask, fit is critical.

You probably want to add some fins to your gear bag, or is that part of what you would rent?

Skin-diving is a great gateway to scuba.

Pete

Welcome to the board.
Your mask needs to fit correctly. Unless you are very lucky, there is no way you can buy one online (or in a sealed package) and have it fit correctly. Dry fitting works fine but if at all possible, I would suggest you try several different shops before buying one. Each style and make will fit a little different so checking at seveal different shops who carry different equipment helps. The experience of the sales staff makes a difference too. For the mask I would suggest you totally forget about price, fit is all that counts. An expensive mask that does not fit is pretty much worthless but a cheap mask that fits is priceless.
Snorkels are a big debate, some like one style others like a different style. I personally prefer one which has a lower drain valve and a flexable section at the mouthpiece but nothing to "keep water out", most of those gimicks don't work and run the cost of the snorkel up a lot. Inexpensive snorkels work fine, beats me why people buy a $50 or more snorkel, the simple,inexpensive ones work fine.

thank you guys for the helpful hints. Based on what you guys said, a snorkel should not be too expensive. Therefore, no point in buying a "DRY" snorkel?

herman:
Welcome to the board.
Dry fitting works fine but if at all possible, I would suggest you try several different shops before buying one.

I agree, try as many shops as possible as different shops usually carry different brands. Buy the mask that fits the best, even if it's a brand your primary LDS doesn't carry. It will never need to be serviced so it doesn't matter. Like others, I too have 3 masks that have only been used a couple of times because I subsequently found one that fit better. Spent whatever it takes to get the one that fits the best, you'll save money in the end.

As for snorkels, I prefer the "old school" snorkels. They don't get any cheaper than that.

mftomohawk:
thank you guys for the helpful hints. Based on what you guys said, a snorkel should not be too expensive. Therefore, no point in buying a "DRY" snorkel?

Dry snorkels are fine for snorkeling but most of us dive. The dry part adds a lot of drag when diving and will at times make an otherwise good fitting mask leak. A lot of divers never wear a snorkel for that reason. In addition, dry type or not, it will fill with water when scuba diving so you must learn to clear it anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom