Need advice on Key West dive op for October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

irishtn

Contributor
Reaction score
Will be in Key West on business for 5 days in October. Need some advise on some dive ops. I prefer to be spoiled, valet type diving, show up with a smile and dive. Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you bringing your own equipment or renting? Where are you staying?

Will rent everything and do not have any accomodations as of yet.

Wow, good luck. I'm not sure you'll find the same sort of vacation resort dive operators offering valet services that you might in some other vacation areas like Cozumel. With that said, many ops will carry the gear to boat if you ask them too, but unless you hire someone, the dives usually don't have guides and I believe most operators would expect you to know how to set up your gear. At least that is my experience when in Key West. I've only used two dive boats, Captain's Corner and one that sold the shop a couple years ago. Both dive boats expected relatively independent divers but were willing to help out with any questions or assist in switching over tanks between dives if the individual diver requested help. As an aside, I like it that way: I don't want anyone touching my gear.

Will be interesting to see if any local KW divers can provide better guidance on more 'full service' operators.

Will rent everything and do not have any accomodations as of yet.

If you're renting equipment, almost everything will be done for you.

I know Lost Reef hauls everybody's equipment out to the boat, switches tanks over between dives and carries everybody's equipment back to the shop. If you're renting gear, they will, of course, handle the rinsing, etc. Not sure if they'll set it up for you for your first dive of the day or not. I'm pretty sure that Captain's Corners will do pretty much the same, but they often leave the tank straps loose when they switch the tanks over due to the layout of the boat. I have little to no experience with the other shops on the island, so I can't speak about what they will or won't do.

As far as I know, guides will be on a pay-as-you-go basis, but are readily available if you book ahead.

Have fun.

...Dive Key West is who we always recommend to our customers here in Key Largo...they take good care of our customers!

I too am looking for a dive operation in Key West. I've used Dive Key West before and last year Bonsai but Bonsai has now moved to Venice, FL. Dive Key West cost more than other dive operations in Key West. I assume this is because they put a dive master in on the dive? On the last trip to the Vandenberg with DKW we had a bottom time of only 10 minutes due to an inexperienced couple ahead of us on the mooring line that had great difficulty descending in the strong current. I'd be sure to be in the front next time.

I like Captain's corner. I've been diving with them for the last 3 years. They will be as hands-on or as hands-off (if you appear to know what you are doing anyway) as you like for the most part. Don't expect pineapple / orange slices on the SI, but they work hard and run a tight ship. If the weather gets sporty, they are one of the few boats that will still go out. Last year we were the only boat on the water in 6-7' seas with the occasional 8'. I was really glad we decided not to cancel because the conditions on that dive (vandy) were awesome.

If you want a real touristy, service oriented, waited on hand and foot type of atmosphere, then you might want to pick another boat. That being said, they will change your tanks/gear in between dives, and generally be as helpful as they can be.

... with DKW we had a bottom time of only 10 minutes due to an inexperienced couple ahead of us on the mooring line that had great difficulty descending in the strong current. I'd be sure to be in the front next time.
Wow, would that have burned my toast! I don't get po'ed easily, but stuff like that would. It doesn't say too much for the crew sending noobs at the front of the queue either. I would have had a detailed convo with that bunch at the end of the trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom