Need a second (or more) opinion on my buoyancy math

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because I hate when these threads don't have follow ups, here's my update.

I suspect 25 is to much for the wetsuit since it is a medium. And I am pretty sure 7 for you is way too high. I bet you will drop at least 10 lb from that estimate.

You're probably right but weights on a belt in a tub was the only available option. I did my best to squeeze out any bubbles but at 30' with an overfilled wing I had to surface and drop 6lbs off at the entry point. I definitely could have dropped another four.

I question how you tested boots and gloves. The plastic bag gives more air space. As soon as you start to descend the water will force out a lot of air.

That's an important point that I hadn't accounted for. I managed the air in the bag by poking holes and squeezing out little trapped bubbles. I hadn't thought about saturation after descending a few feet. The same concept applies to the suit and probably more so because of how thick it is.

Are you naturally bouyant? If I were in a lake and you handed me a 7 pound weight there is no way I would float. No even sure that I could float holding my breath. But then I am almost neutral in fresh water.

After the holidays? Probably. :) My wife is pregnant, so no buoyancy from booze but I've definitely packed on some junk food fat. That said, you're absolutely correct. Trying to sink yourself in a bathtub is basically impossible.

Final results: I started with 32lbs (already cut four for the valves), dropped six after the first dip (now does to 26) and bounced off every rock I could find. If there hadn't already been so much silt kicked up, I would have felt like a jerk. I didn't breathe the tanks down enough to be able to do a proper weight check but that's normal for a single dive with sidemount doubles. I should be able to drop another 4-6lbs and still hold my safety stops.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom