need a regulator! help w/ beginner suggestion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigredbill:
Bankruptcy means the old company and the obligations of that old company are DEAD.

I remember being confused when I was a kid watching a movie when the crowd chanted - "The King is Dead!! Long Live the King!!!" ....huh?? Now, of course I get it.

It may have been nice for Mares to have continued to supply parts for the old Dacor line but you really can not blame them for their decision. After all the more recent pre Mares Dacor regs were pretty friggin complex for what they were. Why should they be burdened with supporting those things? Mares saw some value in using the Dacor name and kept the brand alive for that reason, but could not justify running it the same way. Think about it - a bankrupt business that you insist should be run just like it use to be run......
THERE IS A LOT OF MISINFORMATION OUT THERE ... Dacor was not bought by Mares as part of a bankruptcy ....... after John Davidson died his heirs sold Dacor to HEAD SPORTS for a undisclosed cash and stock offering . They did not have the passion like their father did for the diving business. Dacor was a small company with limited finanical resources. They did have an excellent name and a good distribution network for their products. This is why HEAD SPORTS purchased them and they joined a company that also owns Mares, Penn and several other reconized names in the sporting goods world. In another thread www.scubaboard.com/t70907-.html discussed the legal issues concerning this. As many of you know that Mares was known by many different names (Voit, AMF, Swimaster) before being aquired by HEAD SPORTS and they still continue to supply a limited number of parts for their older products (MR12 is an example). I just had my 1968 Voit Titan II regulator rebuilt this month and parts were hard but not impossible to find.

scubapro50:
THERE IS A LOT OF MISINFORMATION OUT THERE ... Dacor was not bought by Mares as part of a bankruptcy ....... after John Davidson died his heirs sold Dacor to HEAD SPORTS for a undisclosed cash and stock offering . They did not have the passion like their father did for the diving business. Dacor was a small company with limited finanical resources. They did have an excellent name and a good distribution network for their products. This is why HEAD SPORTS purchased them and they joined a company that also owns Mares, Penn and several other reconized names in the sporting goods world. In another thread www.scubaboard.com/t70907-.html discussed the legal issues concerning this. As many of you know that Mares was known by many different names (Voit, AMF, Swimaster) before being aquired by HEAD SPORTS and they still continue to supply a limited number of parts for their older products (MR12 is an example). I just had my 1968 Voit Titan II regulator rebuilt this month and parts were hard but not impossible to find.
Way too easy to get you started :wink:

No offense as I am the new kid on the block hell I am not even certified yet but do you two want some time alone? I am sensing a lot of tension between you two maybe some quality time would do you both some good. LOL

Now back to the thread that might actually help this lady me and a bunch of other people who will be shopping for regulator set up for the first time.

If you want to carry on this discussion please start another thread

Lukiedukie:
No offense as I am the new kid on the block hell I am not even certified yet but do you two want some time alone? I am sensing a lot of tension between you two maybe some quality time would do you both some good. LOL

Now back to the thread that might actually help this lady me and a bunch of other people who will be shopping for regulator set up for the first time.

If you want to carry on this discussion please start another thread

You are correct!!! Back to the topic before a moderator splits this one too.

Buy an Apeks and be done buying regs; you'll never want anything else.
Parts and service too. Oh, sorry sorry sorry it just slipped out. steve

No matter what reg decision you make, there will someone who will stomp in and declare you are a fool if you do not spend whatever is required to buy an Apeks reg - no matter where you are or what you want to do.

Think of the Apeks fiends sort of like the followers of the Grateful Dead. There is something appealing about the lemming-like march to adoration of the Apeks brand and if that kinda thing appeals to you, you will have company with you on your psychedelic trip - adore the Black Pearl like some adored Jerry Garcia.....

According to the Apeks fiends, all the rest of us folks are just getting wet and sucking air. Walk towards the Apeks light........Walk towards the Apeks light.......

bigredbill:
No matter what reg decision you make, there will someone who will stomp in and declare you are a fool if you do not spend whatever is required to buy an Apeks reg - no matter where you are or what you want to do.

Think of the Apeks fiends sort of like the followers of the Grateful Dead. There is something appealing about the lemming-like march to adoration of the Apeks brand and if that kinda thing appeals to you, you will have company with you on your psychedelic trip - adore the Black Pearl like some adored Jerry Garcia.....

According to the Apeks fiends, all the rest of us folks are just getting wet and sucking air. Walk towards the Apeks light........Walk towards the Apeks light.......

Or some of us could have genuinely picked it out of the other options at our local joint.

bigredbill:

The Apeks crowd wore me down and I finally bought a ATX 200. Now I understand what all the hype is about. It is the best regulator I have ever breathed on at any depth, temputure, or condition.

"Like,wow man, Jerry was right, these are groovy regs!"

Sometimes even fiends are right.

Dave

I bought a Mares R2 Axis for my daughter. She used high-end stuff during her training and she told me that the Axis works well for her.

The total cost for the reg, octo, and gage set was less than $300. I bought from LP and eBay. When I brought everything in to a LDS for an annual service,there were no problems. The cost was reasonable, no one asked from where did I purchase the gear.

Have fun and good luck!

scubapro50:
THERE IS A LOT OF MISINFORMATION OUT THERE ...after John Davidson died his heirs sold Dacor .

I believe Sam Davidson was the founder of Dacor.

(John Davidson is a has-been TV singer.)

Chad

Back
Top Bottom