need a regulator! help w/ beginner suggestion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod:
If you can really get the Mares for 99 dollars that is the way to go. N

I just got two of the Mares R2 Axis Pro regs from Larry at scubatoys.com. Everyone knows the story... he price-matched LeisurePro at $99.95; it was the current year model (LP's illustration shows an older model); scubatoys are an authorized dealer, therefore with manufacturer's warranty; and Larry promises lifetime $40 services with free parts.

I welcome myself to Larry's cheering squad.

--Marek

Stacey,
Are you really just looking for a regulator or a whole regulator package (reg, octo, & gauges -- maybe a computer). If you're looking for all of the above, buy a package instead of piecemeal to save some $$. See what you can get the Mares in a package from scubatoys. If you're going to your LDS, they'll discount the packages (usually at least $100 ) from the piecemal purchase prices. (Probably not the $100 discount if you can get the Mares for $99, though).

While I've heared good things about the Zeagle, they are not the best if you are planning to travel abroad with them. Zeagle doesn't really exist beyond North America eventhough they are making progress.
If planning to travel with regs, I'd suggest sticking to the "big names": Scubapro, Aqualung or Mares. These are companies that are well represented all over the world.
Nowdays all big companies make good regs that will serve you very well. It comes down to serviceability and personal preference. I'd recommend trying as many regs as possible in order to see which is the one you like most.
That said, I'm biased towards Mares regs as they are great breathers. I'm using this one and I'm very happy with it.
Larry from Scubatoys is known to have very good advise and prices as well. I'd give him a call and talk to him too before making a decision.

What kind of diving do you have planned in the future? What is your budget? Do you want to start out with something basic then upgrade to a more expensive regulator later when you could afford it? Scubapro and Aqualung you can find parts and service just about anywhere in the world. BEFORE YOU BUY ANYTHING read the thread www.scubaboard.com/t70450-.html about some of the major scuba companies that no longer honor their warranties for parts or service on their regulators.

because sometime in future years someone might not make a part for your regulator?

Yah know what - buy the $99 reg, use it for 2 years (regardless of what the manufacture says, as long as you don't dive the hell out of it ..say more than 100 dives a year....you will be able to get by for 2 years without standard maintenance) and after your 2 years of use throw the thing in the garbage and shop for a new reg. You will still be ahead of the game! If you want to stockpile parts, go to DiversInn and buy some Axis and some R2 kits - you will be assured of having a working reg for years to come, as long as you don't prong it in some other way.

The reason I suggested the $99 Mares? Because it is a non-decision. Ya don't need to fret over it!!

scubapro50:
What kind of diving do you have planned in the future? What is your budget? Do you want to start out with something basic then upgrade to a more expensive regulator later when you could afford it? Scubapro and Aqualung you can find parts and service just about anywhere in the world. BEFORE YOU BUY ANYTHING read the thread www.scubaboard.com/t70450-.html about some of the major scuba companies that no longer honor their warranties for parts or service on their regulators.
Do you mean the fact that Scubapro WILL NOT replace the batteries in my 5 year old Uwatec Aladin Air X that cost probably more than 3 times more than your 15 year old Dacor reg? And the fact that they offer me a new computer to buy? :eyebrow:

The Mares R2 Axis will take care of the vast majority of recreational dives that are carried out in water warmer than 55 degrees (or so) Fahrenheit. Which, is just about what a typical new diver is going to do. My dive buddies and I have been using the MR12/R2 Axis regs as deco regs since they came on the market. They are extremely easy for me to rebuild, and I can overhaul one on the back of a boat if need be.

A buddy and I attempted to overbreathe one while making a stop at 110', all we succeeded in accomplishing was getting tired from the effort!

If Larry is selling the critters for less than a C-note then it sounds like a wise buying decision. Heck, both seats are reversible, which allows field repairs to be made in a flash if need be.

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor for Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine

aquaoren:
Do you mean the fact that Scubapro WILL NOT replace the batteries in my 5 year old Uwatec Aladin Air X that cost probably more than 3 times more than your 15 year old Dacor reg? And the fact that they offer me a new computer to buy? :eyebrow:
I really don't like getting into this again but here it goes ...... (1st) we are talking about regulators, not masks, fins, bcd or computers. (2nd) Scubapro does not make the underwater computer but markets it ..... they never gave it a "lifetime" warranty for both parts and service. (3) I have a written warranty on 3 of my Dacor regulators that state "no time limit" as long as you are the original purchaser and register it with Dacor within 30 days (I did and got the plastic warranty card for each) ..... now it's a problem to get service for them because when they were purchased by Mares and they deceided to not honor their "written" warranty to provide parts .... Just had my 1968 Voit Titan II regulator overhauled at my local LDS. He was able to come up with the parts I needed to keep that singlehose wonder running. I didn't complain about my Dacor doublehose (2yr. warranty) or the Voit regulator (1 year waranty) because the time limit was known and understood ...... but for a company to give you an unconditional written lifetime warranty and not back it up is a crime.

SP50, we've all heard your issues with Dacor. The sad fact is, the company went bankrupt and was bought out of backruptcy by another company. During that purchase the acquiring company had no requirement at all to support Dacor's previous commitments. That is how bankruptcy works.

Yes it sucks, but so does hearing the same old story anytime someone asks about a reg and any company other than SP is mentioned as a good source.

Bankruptcy means the old company and the obligations of that old company are DEAD.

I remember being confused when I was a kid watching a movie when the crowd chanted - "The King is Dead!! Long Live the King!!!" ....huh?? Now, of course I get it.

It may have been nice for Mares to have continued to supply parts for the old Dacor line but you really can not blame them for their decision. After all the more recent pre Mares Dacor regs were pretty friggin complex for what they were. Why should they be burdened with supporting those things? Mares saw some value in using the Dacor name and kept the brand alive for that reason, but could not justify running it the same way. Think about it - a bankrupt business that you insist should be run just like it use to be run......

Back
Top Bottom