need a dive watch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nimoh

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking for a dive watch that contains a few certain features, and just haven't found the right one.

- digital
- easy to read display (i.e. reasonably large)
- large buttons that can be used with dry gloves
- backlit (like a Timex Indiglo, not a small light in the corner)
- stop watch
- durable, depth 200m and usable underwater (timex ironman watches warn against using buttons underwater)

I was looking at the Casio G-Shock Mudman, but unable to determine if it has a good backlight and if the buttons are easy to press. Any suggestions?

Have you considered a suunto D3? I use mine as a bottom timer, backlight, used with dry gloves, great depth rating, easy to read digital screen and stop watch.

the only thing I cannot speak to is the button situation but otherwise the G-Shock DW5600E series may be what you're looking for:

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-DW5600E-1V-G-Shock-Classic-Digital/dp/B000GAYQKY

p888529627-4.jpg

p1052871267-4.jpg

Have you considered a suunto D3? I use mine as a bottom timer, backlight, used with dry gloves, great depth rating, easy to read digital screen and stop watch.

I will second the D3 but they are getting hard to find now that the d4 has been out for 2-3 years.

Depends on if you want a watch style or if you're ok with puck style. Also what is the price range?

price is not as big a deal as the features I am looking for. The g-shock is attractive by price and hits most of the features, except for the button size. I know there are some other g-shock models with rubber covers over the buttons, that make them a bit bigger (such as the mudman)

The Suunto D3 also looks attractive, and having a depth guage is a plus. What is the backlight like on the D3? Does it illuminate well?

I generally don't use the backlighting on my primary computer since it is on my right wrist, and my light is in my left hand, so it is easier to just shine my light on it. However, for the watch I am looking for, I will be wearing it on my left wrist and will probably use the backlighting, since my light won't be handy to shine on it

D3 backlight is pretty good, dives here can be zero vis and dark and works just fine. A bit of searching you should find some around.

If price is not an issue, I personally use a Liquivision XEN as do a lot of my Tec students.

1. User friendly with taps (no buttons)
2. Easy to read display
3. Stop watch, avg depth, etc..

If you go this route then go with the rechargeable batteries.

thanks, but I guess price is a little bit of an object, after all, I have a bottom timer, looking for a backup.

The other thing, that I didn't mention earlier, is that I am really looking for a watch (small profile). At 1.5" thick, I think the xen would be in the way of my primary light.

Anyone using a Casio G-Shock Mudman or Frogman? Those are definitely what I am leaning towards.

Most specifically, it is hard to tell looking at websites if the buttons are easy to press with gloves on, and if they are well illuminated (such as that of a timex indiglo). From poking around, it seems like some Casio's carry the "illuminator" insignia and some "super illuminator". It seems that the former is just a regular watch light, while the latter is backlit (much like a timex indiglo).

If I could find one in a local store, I would just go there with a glove and try it out, and then buy it, but haven't been able to find one :)

by the way, I am not trying to be difficult, just trying to find the best watch (for me).

thanks, but I guess price is a little bit of an object, after all, I have a bottom timer, looking for a backup.

The other thing, that I didn't mention earlier, is that I am really looking for a watch (small profile). At 1.5" thick, I think the xen would be in the way of my primary light.

Anyone using a Casio G-Shock Mudman or Frogman? Those are definitely what I am leaning towards.

Most specifically, it is hard to tell looking at websites if the buttons are easy to press with gloves on, and if they are well illuminated (such as that of a timex indiglo). From poking around, it seems like some Casio's carry the "illuminator" insignia and some "super illuminator". It seems that the former is just a regular watch light, while the latter is backlit (much like a timex indiglo).

If I could find one in a local store, I would just go there with a glove and try it out, and then buy it, but haven't been able to find one :)

by the way, I am not trying to be difficult, just trying to find the best watch (for me).

I just got myself the G-shock frogman final edition.
Casio Frogman G-Shock Final Edition Sports watch GW-200Z-1 GW200Z

I found it here in Taiwan for about US $ 350 which is a really good price. The main reason I got it is because, I need a watch for everyday use that I can use while diving.

My normal dive watch is the Citizen Aqualand 25th Ann edition, in addition to my computer.

The Citizen watch has all the functions of a dive computer, except for nitrogen loading and NDLs. It will tell you maximum depth, current depth, temp, dive time, Date of the dive and surface interval. It also keeps 25 logs.
It is a great watch but a little heavy for everyday use, unless you get the titanium one. I also found it getting scratched a lot just doing everyday things.

The G-Shock is bulletproof and it is made of titanium, so it is light. You don't need to press any buttons once you are underwater. You just switch on the dive timer and the auto light if you need to before you descend. The screen will show dive time and actual time.
You need to switch off the dive timer when you surface. Switching on and off can be done with a glove. It also measures surface interval.
An added bonus is that it is solar powered. The frogman series is the only series in the G-Shock lineup, that is an actual certified dive watch.

Back
Top Bottom