need a dive watch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have this g-shock. It works great. More functions than you can shake a stick at. I like this model because the button on front turns on the backlight. Itis easy to hit with gloves on. This has time, date,tide,world time, countdown timer, multiple stopwatches, 4 alarms. It also has auto illuminate. When you rotate your wrist towards. Your face the light comes on. Audible beeps if you want them. Rated to 200m

Cost around $85

http://www.princetonwatches.com/images/watches/GLX6900-1.jpg

I'm actually a watch designer. I don't work for Casio, but I really like my g shock for travel.

Whatever you choose I would advise away from black displays with grey digits. They look cooler, but they are harder to read in low light. The g shock display is very clear and I rarely need the backlight.

I just got myself the G-shock frogman final edition.
Casio Frogman G-Shock Final Edition Sports watch GW-200Z-1 GW200Z

I found it here in Taiwan for about US $ 350 which is a really good price. The main reason I got it is because, I need a watch for everyday use that I can use while diving.

My normal dive watch is the Citizen Aqualand 25th Ann edition, in addition to my computer.

The Citizen watch has all the functions of a dive computer, except for nitrogen loading and NDLs. It will tell you maximum depth, current depth, temp, dive time, Date of the dive and surface interval. It also keeps 25 logs.
It is a great watch but a little heavy for everyday use, unless you get the titanium one. I also found it getting scratched a lot just doing everyday things.

The G-Shock is bulletproof and it is made of titanium, so it is light. You don't need to press any buttons once you are underwater. You just switch on the dive timer and the auto light if you need to before you descend. The screen will show dive time and actual time.
You need to switch off the dive timer when you surface. Switching on and off can be done with a glove. It also measures surface interval.
An added bonus is that it is solar powered. The frogman series is the only series in the G-Shock lineup, that is an actual certified dive watch.

that sounds like a great option. A few questions:

how is the backlight, full backlight (like a timex indiglo), or a tiny light in the corner of the display?

how does the auto light work, does it just stay on?

The dive timer sounds like a good option, but I am mostly interested in having a stopwatch, and I assume I would need to use the buttons to switch back and forth, but it sounds like I could easily manipulate the buttons with gloves on.

thanks.

that sounds like a great option. A few questions:

how is the backlight, full backlight (like a timex indiglo), or a tiny light in the corner of the display?

how does the auto light work, does it just stay on?

The dive timer sounds like a good option, but I am mostly interested in having a stopwatch, and I assume I would need to use the buttons to switch back and forth, but it sounds like I could easily manipulate the buttons with gloves on.

thanks.

It is a full backlight.

The autolight comes on when you rotate your wrist 40+ degrees from horizontal. I believe this is to save battery power. You can set the light to auto or manual.

The button to change to stopwatch from the dive timer is actually recessed. Actually the two buttons on the left are recessed, while the two on the right aren't. The dive timer is activated on the right. I have just had a good had a look now at the left buttons, the recession (not the economy one), is IMO sufficient for you to activate the button with a gloved hand. Provided you are not wearing thick gloves. I would think a 3mm well fitting glove would not have an issue pressing the button to change the mode to stopwatch.
I don't wear gloves so cannot physically check.
EDIT-Not sure about dry gloves though. Never ever seen a pair. Nice warm water here!!

thanks 00wabbit and bigduke12,

both sound like good options. After some google searches, it looks like Macy's sells a lot of g-shocks, so I think I'll head down there and get a first hand look at the models you suggest.

If anyone is interested, I bought this watch based on some of the feedback I got in this thread

G9000MS-1 G-Shock Military Concept Black Digital Watch | eBay

It has the auto backlight, that I think would be useful on a dive. It came down to this one and the Frogman, and although the Frogman has some useful diving functions, I was looking just for a back up timing device, and decided to forgo the additional cost.

Thanks everyone for your help, I'll post back after I get in a dive with this watch.

Careful with the timex, I looked at one but in the instructions, they say not to use the buttons underwater or it may flood.

Upon further reading, it is my understanding that this is the case for most watches rated to 100m.

Not sure about the sailing watch, but it is also rated to 100m

Back
Top Bottom