Need a buddy to dive in Pelham AL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

octotat:
I'll be driving a silver Jetta Wagon with a roof rack.

Hows that work for you as a dive vehicle? I'm looking at a MKIV jetta wagon and then putting a roofrack on it. Does it fit 8 tanks and 4 sets of gear with 4 people comfortably?

My truck drinks too much.

SuPrBuGmAn:
Hows that work for you as a dive vehicle? I'm looking at a MKIV jetta wagon and then putting a roofrack on it. Does it fit 8 tanks and 4 sets of gear with 4 people comfortably?

My truck drinks too much.

For two to three very comfortable, it will slightly cramp with 4 folks, not much backseat leg room but plenty of cargo room. To haul 8 tanks plus gear, you might have to put some auxiliary racks on top for some of the lighter gear bags. I have the Tdi turbodiesel, I'm getting 40 mpg and I drive it like I stole it. Take the roof racks off and drive like a granny and I'd get as high as 50 mpg. I'm super happy with it, it's got as much room for gear as my Landrover discovery had, and the money I save in repairs and fuel just about makes the payment. It also has 177 ft-lbs of torque so it runs like a scalded cat on takeoff.

wow. Compare that with my Tahoe, which gets 13 or 15 mpg.

But of course that's why it stays parked a lot of the time as I drive
my 12 year old Honda to work. (for 28-32mpg)

octotat:
For two to three very comfortable, it will slightly cramp with 4 folks, not much backseat leg room but plenty of cargo room. To haul 8 tanks plus gear, you might have to put some auxiliary racks on top for some of the lighter gear bags. I have the Tdi turbodiesel, I'm getting 40 mpg and I drive it like I stole it. Take the roof racks off and drive like a granny and I'd get as high as 50 mpg. I'm super happy with it, it's got as much room for gear as my Landrover discovery had, and the money I save in repairs and fuel just about makes the payment. It also has 177 ft-lbs of torque so it runs like a scalded cat on takeoff.

I hear the TDIs require alot of maintenance? Has that been the case for you? Even with the 2.0L 4cyl motor, gas mileage will be in the 30s I'd imagine. I can deal with 4 people cramped :) Last time we went to Rock Divers, we took a 4 door Civic Wagovan with 4 people, 4 sets of gear, 8 tanks, 2 tents, 4 sleeping bags, 4 bags of clothes, and lots of junkfood. We had no extra room, infact, while I was riding backseat, I couldn't see my buddy on the passenger side of the backseat... and those things aren't very wide :D As long as I have a bit more room than that - I'm good to go.

Looking at Autotrader.com, alot of the Jetta Wagons I've found were located in Pelham... It could be a sign!

Picture_016.sized.jpg

mike_s:
wow. Compare that with my Tahoe, which gets 13 or 15 mpg.

... and I'm complaining about my 6cyl truck which gets 18-19mpg...

No maintenance yet, but I've only got 15,000 miles on it. I got the extended warranty too as VeeDubbs have a pretty poor record. The diesel has less parts, no ignition system, so should be more reliable than a gas engine. I have heard that the turbos go out on them quite a bit though, that's why I went with the extended warranty.

Oil changes are a pain, requires a special spec oil only available at the dealer (not really true, but mostly).

I think they advertise the TDI up to 57mpg, thats up there with the damned hybrid cars running around at the moment. I'm kinda leaning towards the 2.0L gas, its a bulletproof motor for the most part and I think they still get gas mileage in the upper 30s.

I had a 2L '96 GTI, but it didn't quite have the amount of room I was looking for so I sold it. 150k miles on it and it ran like a top. My air cooled bugs never had enough room either(nor could they maintain interstate speeds) :) I'm not selling my '66 though, its just too much fun.

octotat:
It's just going to be me and a newbie. We would also be getting there around 10:00 - 10:30. Look for us, I'll be wearing a silver and red shorty, and there is a large octopus tattoo on my right calf. I'll be with a blond lady who is in her mid fifties. I'll be driving a silver Jetta Wagon with a roof rack.

Ted
I will be there driving a champagne colored 98 Montero Sport SUV My picture is in my profile. I am clean cut with no tattoos, plain jane dude nothing special about me :D My SUV has a USAF Reserve Tag and an Alabama Dive Sticker on rear window. CYA all there! :wink:
Oh and keep in mind I am a newbie diver :11ztongue

Actually the sticker is 47 highway. Some nerds are poking along slowly to be in the "50mpg club". Figure the costs for the hybrids and the environmental impacts of the massive batteries, I don't get it.

Jurgen:
I will be there driving a champagne colored 98 Montero Sport SUV My picture is in my profile. I am clean cut with no tattoos, plain jane dude nothing special about me :D My SUV has a USAF Reserve Tag and an Alabama Dive Sticker on rear window. CYA all there! :wink:
Oh and keep in mind I am a newbie diver :11ztongue
Cool Picture Jurgen, On Location at Vortex!

Matt

octotat:
Actually the sticker is 47 highway. Some nerds are poking along slowly to be in the "50mpg club". Figure the costs for the hybrids and the environmental impacts of the massive batteries, I don't get it.

Hmmm I guess the wagon weighs a bit more than the New Beetles, they sticker at 57mpg if I remember correctly. I could be wrong :)

Back
Top Bottom