Neat Little Tricks Are Good to Know

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not only can I, but I always do. Either my gear or my body is slightly heavier on the right side. I always dive with 1 lb more in the left pocket. Believe it or not that 1 lb means the difference between a nice, even trim and constantly waving my right hand to stay level on a dive.

I think it's because someone opened a tank valve in my left ear once and blew away about a pound of inner ear. :idk:

That's interesting. I wonder if lopsided buoyancy is common.

When I dive in tropical water with my SS backplate, AL80, and no suit, I use 4 pounds of lead, because zero is not enough and two 2-lb weights is the minimum available. My ideal weighting might be 1, 2, or 3 lbs, but no dive op seems to carry 1-lb weights.

Has anybody got a favorite solution for this?

You could carry an oversized knife from the 1970s. Mine's gotta be a pound or two negative.

That's interesting. I wonder if lopsided buoyancy is common.

When I dive in tropical water with my SS backplate, AL80, and no suit, I use 4 pounds of lead, because zero is not enough and two 2-lb weights is the minimum available. My ideal weighting might be 1, 2, or 3 lbs, but no dive op seems to carry 1-lb weights.

Has anybody got a favorite solution for this?

A single 2 lb wt on a belt? :idk: Center it on back or belly?

OR

Carry a 1 lb shot weight with you when you travel? :idk:

You could carry an oversized knife from the 1970s. Mine's gotta be a pound or two negative.

Ha Ha! I used to have one years ago, but never found a use for it.

I like to travel with everything in carryons, and we often dive in protected areas, so knives are usually not welcome.

A single 2 lb wt on a belt? :idk: Center it on back or belly? OR Carry a 1 lb shot weight with you when you travel? :idk:

This might be the only option... Or those V weight pouches that fit in the center groove of a backplate. 40303 XS Scuba Highland "V" Weight Pouch

A single 2 lb wt on a belt? :idk: Center it on back or belly?
@Mike Boswell: Put the weight on the belt and anchor it to your tank where it promotes the best trim.
A weight belt with a plastic buckle weighs very little and it can be worn on the hips or anchored onto the tank. I leave one in my save-a-dive kit.

Tuck the one pound soft weight in your Speedo and be "popular"

Oh gosh, I hate to follow good recommendations from SC Hoaty.:D My suggestions are:
1. wear a wetsuit. I always wear a 3mm in the tropics. When doing 3-5 dives a day this translates into extended dives due to reduced air consumption and not feeling as tired at the end of the dive day. If it ain't 98.6 degrees you are losing body heat. That should take care of about 2- 2lb weights.
2. Use an ankle weight around the tank valve
Durward Ankle Weights (1 Pair)
Of course, following up on SC Hoaty's recommendation, an unclipped ankle weight in your speedo will make you very popular.:D

a 3lb imbalance will be noticeable, but a 1lb imbalance isn't. I suggest you try 5lbs/4lbs instead of 6lbs/3lbs.

When hiring gear, I've never been on a boat that offered anything but 3lb weights. I have my own 1lbs weights and that's the ticket.

trick from a Brit coldwater diver:

1/. Don't get in the water without a dsmb and reel (you call them safety sausages) After 100yds the boat really cannot see you in any swell - especially with a trendy black hood...

2/. Mark the line on the reel at 3m (10ft) 6m (20ft) and 9m (30ft) using permanent black marker - one mark for 3m, two marks for 6m and 3 marks for 9m- that way if your computer fails you can send up your dsmb marker and still know reasonably accurately how deep you are.

3/.smash up an old hard drive - the disk inside makes a great emergency reflector that doesn't degrade in salt water - lets hope the sun shines if we get lost at sea - not much chance in the uk lol!

4/. when you take your mask off- pull it down around your neck - that way you don't lose it or step on it when it pings off your head.

safe diving all!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom