Neat Little Tricks Are Good to Know

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Something I'd like to share-

I print out 2 copies of 'Procedure to be used in the event of a diving accident' fr DAN Website.
Highlight the numbers to call for my area. Note that I have Emergency Medical Database w/ DAN.
Write my name, Dan ID #, Blood type, Contact person & Cel # of next of kin.

I hand over 1 copy to reception of the dive shop Im diving with on a trip. Making sure at least 2 people fr reception knows about it. & keep 1 copy with me in my dry bag.

Along with that should be a list of allergies, medications you're on, medical history, and copies of your insurance cards.

Jax - I love that avatar!!!!!!!

I have the Droid - you can make shortcut icons that speed-dial. I have one for 9-1-1 and one for DAN right next to it.

Another Smartphone tip - sign up for Google Latitude and share with family and close friends. When you dive, they will know where you are and how to get there.

Shortly after getting OW certified I went on a cruise to Cozumel and did a 2-tank dive. I brought my own mask and snorkel which were new. The DM took my mask and held a small lighter under the inside of the lense. He moved the flame around the whole inside of the lens and I could see an invisible film disappearing. He stated it was better than scrubbing the lens with toothpaste. Now I just spit and rinse before each dive and have never had a problem with fogging. I have since used this trick on three other masks I have purchased and it works great.

Use a plastic bag as "socks" when puting on your wetsuit. You will slip right into it with no hassles.

If you are still fogging underwater, take of your mask and rub the inside firmly & thoroughly with your finger. You will be fine for the rest of your dive for sure.

also try using a coating of bar soap on the mask inside lense and rub till clear for the fog. test this in your bathroom on a mirror that fogs when the shower runs.. no more fog.

Ah so that is how it works in some of the hotels I stay in.

I use Johnson's Baby Shampoo in my mask to prevent fogging, a tip I picked up whilst in the Philippines. My spit ain't what it used to be.

Along with that should be a list of allergies, medications you're on, medical history, and copies of your insurance cards.

True. But since I dnt have allergies & not under any medications. Those are not listed down in my paper.

But yes, the more thorough everything is listed, better. =)

True. But since I dnt have allergies & not under any medications.
Actually, that should be listed as well. Saves them from having to guess.

The best way to shed lead? Stop swimming with your hands!!! Fold them together!
The best way to improve your air consumption? Stop swimming with your hands!!! Fold them together!
If you aren't sure what I mean, look at my avatar. That's really how I dive unless I am holding a spear/light/etc.

It's even better if you can streamline yourself by keeping your arms and hands down at your sides. Once I started doing this my air consumption plumetted and I found it's actually easier when swimming into a current. Even a slight current seems to cause anything sticking out to induce drag, especially arms.

when I read these tips and tricks it gives me pause and makes me sad all those so called tricks us to be part of a complete dive program when we took weeks to learn not days.we use to call them not tricks but skills. oh well just missing the old days. stay wet and be safe divers

Back
Top Bottom