Neat Little Tricks Are Good to Know

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anyone else tried this?? What about intanglement issues. As I have wondered about this before idocsteve brought it up. I was thinking along the lines of the toddler velco wrist strapes.

The wife and I have a coil cord (like spearfishers use) that will stretch to 20ft, but is only about 5-6ft coiled. we put a wrist loop on each end and and it works fine. We've used rope on a couple of dives and had no issues with either, but didn't do penetration or anything confining.

Just before you jump into the water, take a few quick breaths off your regulator while watching your SPG. If your air is turned on, the needle will hardly budge. If your air is turned off, the pressure will drop rapidly with each breath. Warning: if you vale is turned on only slightly, you will get plenty of air at the surface but down deeper you may not get any air at all.

Ropes are not the way the stay together in poor visibility. Using ropes is a dangerous practice. The last thing you want is to be entangled in poor visibility. Touch contact is the only way to go in poor visibility.

Can anyone tell me the best way to keep steel tanks in good condition, prevent rust, etc.?

dry fills only
make sure the compressor has dry air
rinse exterior after diving
don't use tank boots

Great thread!!!

Here is a little trick the old-timers know, but those in the younger generation might not:

You can polish scratches out of glass with toothpaste. Just put a dab on and rub vigorously with your finger and a little spit.

This works for watch faces, dive computer faces, pressure gauges, masks, eyeglasses, etc. etc. I think it works on plastics, too.

Has anyone else tried this?? What about intanglement issues. As I have wondered about this before idocsteve brought it up. I was thinking along the lines of the toddler velco wrist strapes.
Yes a buddy and I have used it in 10ft vis and it works great,got tangled once you just stop and your buddy untangles you or vise versa. :coffee:

I stay within a foot or two of my buddy. If vis is worse than that we hold hands or link arms (and do something manly after the dive to compensate). I can't stand being pre-entangled intentionally.

Something I'd like to share-

I print out 2 copies of 'Procedure to be used in the event of a diving accident' fr DAN Website.
Highlight the numbers to call for my area. Note that I have Emergency Medical Database w/ DAN.
Write my name, Dan ID #, Blood type, Contact person & Cel # of next of kin.

I hand over 1 copy to reception of the dive shop Im diving with on a trip. Making sure at least 2 people fr reception knows about it. & keep 1 copy with me in my dry bag.

Earbeer after every dive/Dont leave the tailgate down and drive to the divesite with gearbox hanging out. Did that a month ago and bout crapped my britches when I got out and saw it. Cant see tailgate with a topper, lesson learned

Something I'd like to share-

I print out 2 copies of 'Procedure to be used in the event of a diving accident' fr DAN Website.
Highlight the numbers to call for my area. Note that I have Emergency Medical Database w/ DAN.Write my name, Dan ID #, Blood type, Contact person & Cel # of next of kin.

I hand over 1 copy to reception of the dive shop Im diving with on a trip. Making sure at least 2 people fr reception knows about it. & keep 1 copy with me in my dry bag.

This is really a great idea - I'm a DAN member but wasn't aware of the Emergency Medical Database w/ DAN.

Back
Top Bottom