Neat Little Tricks Are Good to Know

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just think what you would have lost if you maintained that diet while burning all those calories...your friends and relatives probably wouldn't have recognized you when you returned from your vacation.

Well, I have tried to diet on dive vacations but it is real hard. The food at most places - much of it being some form of flour and fat - really doesn't lend itself to dieting (and I have a lot more excuses where that one came from).

Aside from dieting, just plain EATING can be a challenge when we travel. That warm object the stewardess hands you in the plastic bag (Chicken ... or Ham???) might be pretty good if you're 19, hung over, starving, and not too particular, but ...

One thing we have learned to do is to pack food to take with us. Dried fruit, nuts, granola, cheese, salami are all good stuff to have, and way better (and cheaper) than anything served in an airport or on a plane.

Well, I have tried to diet on dive vacations but it is real hard. The food at most places - much of it being some form of flour and fat - really doesn't lend itself to dieting (and I have a lot more excuses where that one came from).

Aside from dieting, just plain EATING can be a challenge when we travel. That warm object the stewardess hands you in the plastic bag (Chicken ... or Ham???) might be pretty good if you're 19, hung over, starving, and not too particular, but ...

One thing we have learned to do is to pack food to take with us. Dried fruit, nuts, granola, cheese, salami are all good stuff to have, and way better (and cheaper) than anything served in an airport or on a plane.

I am freaking starving now.

Thanks for that!

No specific diet per say, more like a change in attitude.

I basically stopped eating indiscriminately.

Sweets and desserts are "poison" including anything chocolate, sodas, etc. I don't drink beers and I cut way down on the juices, usually thinning them 50/50 with water or seltzer. Forget the chips and the dip and the fried foods, although I might slip on rare occasion especially during an NFL game...

I only eat enough to satisfy the appetite, I don't pig out just because it's there and it feels good to stuff my face, and I'm maintaining a fairly steady exercise routine. 46 minute treadmill workout which includes 4 "peaks and valleys" of 3.5 walking to 7.8 running and burns 620 calories and covers over 4 miiles. I do this 2-3x per week and followup with 20 minutes of abs on an Ablounge 2.

:shakehead::shakehead:Damn, after all your attacks on fat people, I am amazed that you are not 165 lbs of ripped terror. :confused::confused:

:shakehead::shakehead:Damn, after all your attacks on fat people, I am amazed that you are not 165 lbs of ripped terror. :confused::confused:
The most rabnid anti-smokers are the people who have just quit. It's no wonder that someone who has lost some weight thinks that EVERYONE can do it. IOW, he's a new religious convert to skinnyism! :D

The most rabnid anti-smokers are the people who have just quit. It's no wonder that someone who has lost some weight thinks that EVERYONE can do it. IOW, he's a new religious convert to skinnyism! :D

Everyone CAN lose weight - Just get a divorce and start cruising the beaches and bars - POOF! 50 lbs in 3-4 months. I've done it three times, so I should know.

Trouble is, you get skinny enough, the babes get interested. You chase one of them 'til she catches you, and then it's Pasta City for the next seven years!

My favorite trick is to use an in-line octo for my pony bottle. I have an XS Scuba Airwave which is a balanced second with a short hose off the end to connect to a BC inflator. If used in it's traditional roll, it places your safe second a short distance from the end of your BC inflator hose and eliminates your octo. But I use it on my pony bottle in addition to my usualy Octo off my primary tank.

If you have an OOA, you can snap the QD fitting into your BC so at the surface you can still inflate your BC.

I keep an air nozzle handy and also use it to inflate lift bags and SMB's.

You can mount it any of the traditional ways, or run the hose over your left shoulder where you would normaly route your BC inflator hose. The location is easy to find and never ends up floating off in space or draged in the mud. You can either use it to inflate your BC or route the usualy primary tank hose right next to it and only switch in an emergency. If you use your pony for inflating your BC, plan on losing a few CF to that task. I use my HP tanks to top off my pony before each dive, so I always start with a full pony and never pay to fill it.

I like the placement of having it attached to my BC inflator hose and the hose routing is very out of the way. If I'm approached by a paniced diver going for my Octo, I know that even if I get my primary borrowed, have my right hand busy controling the other diver, and can't get to my octo, my left hand is free with pony rig right next to my left shoulder.

Well... I lost a bunch of weight and now can't see why it is difficult at all. I worked out my maintenance rate of calories. I ate 400 less a day than that, and I lost 10kg/22lb. You need to cut out 3500 calories for each kg of weight loss. I have an app on my phone where I can record all my food, it works out the calories for me and if I hit the limit by being stupid and eating chocolate for breakfast, then I don't eat any more. After a few days of being REALLY hungry, it kinda forces you to pick filling meals that aren't full of calories and they tend to be only healthy meals.

It's not a magical formula or anything, you just eat less than you require and you lose weight. Only a very small percentage of people have medical reasons why they can't lose weight.

You need to cut out 3500 calories for each kg of weight loss.

That darn metric system again!

I think you mean 3500 calories for each pound of weight loss....yes?

Well... I lost a bunch of weight and now can't see why it is difficult at all. I worked out my maintenance rate of calories. I ate 400 less a day than that, and I lost 10kg/22lb. You need to cut out 3500 calories for each kg of weight loss. I have an app on my phone where I can record all my food, it works out the calories for me and if I hit the limit by being stupid and eating chocolate for breakfast, then I don't eat any more. After a few days of being REALLY hungry, it kinda forces you to pick filling meals that aren't full of calories and they tend to be only healthy meals.

It's not a magical formula or anything, you just eat less than you require and you lose weight. Only a very small percentage of people have medical reasons why they can't lose weight.

This theory is fine and it SHOULD work, but it does not take into account the intelligence of fat. Fat, you see, isn't the stupid, mindless blob of blubber that everyone thinks it is.

Fat is smart, and it knows when you are trying to mess with it. Like a French civil servant, fat immediately senses when somebody is trying to make it do more, or get less, and it revolts. Eat fewer calories, and fat orchestrates a system-wide strike that slows the metabolism down.

Humans are fond of talking about how big our brains are, but our brain weighs only about five pounds. In comparison. the average person has about 50 pounds of fat - TEN TIMES as much. No contest, really.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom