NCWD meet no. 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NCDiver2004:
Mel - I'm free the first weekend in December, but not the 2nd (have a hot date!). Jason/Glenn - I'm in for this Saturday Nitrox at Fantasy Lake.

Hey Charlie!

That sounds great. How about that Sunday? The only way I'd back out is if it is just too darn cold. :)

Hey Glenn, I PM'ed you all the info on the course except the day...Saturday. For some reason I was thinking you were already nitrox certified

As for a dive at Fantasy Lake the first week end of Dec, I'm game.

Jason

Jason, Ken, Charlie I am going to pass on the Nitrox Certification. I plan on getting the Certification at my local dive shop later on. Let me know when you'll will be at Fantasy Lake. I will meet you there for diving. I live less than 20 - 30 minutes away.

Glenn

Hey Glenn,
We'll be doing the diving Saturday afternoon sometime. If you pm us a phone number we'll give you a call when the classroom portion is over and you can meet us for the dives if you like.

Jason

Jason B:
So I wake up Saturday morning, let the dog out, and notice frost on the ground. What the #@$%, I’m supposed to go diving in about an hour or so. As I load tanks in the bed of my truck, smoke rises off them as the warm tanks meet the cold air. At this point I’m wondering if anyone is going to show other than me. Who would have thought it would have turned out as nice as it did. By 10:00 The air was in the 60’s as was the water temps, and the sun was beaming. Vis was down a bit from last weekend but still a good 18 feet I’d guess. By 11:00, Dale, Ken, Glenn, Charlie, Pedro, Wreck Goddess, Don (Bones) and myself were all gathered around a picnic table, exchanging dive experiences and a few laughs. After the initial “meet and greet” was over we suited up and hit the water. We were diving in three teams. The main objective was to have fun-which we did:D.
Lake Rawlings has a lift bag area where divers can practice lift bag use. Apparently, the day earlier, someone practicing their lift bag technique screwed up, had a boat motor get away from them, and dropped it over the ledge. Dale graciously offered our services to locate and return this motor to the lift bag area. Well, on the second dive Dale found the motor, right were it was suppose to be…in the lift bag area:).
We can’t forget Ken and his box of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (they were good...and no crust!) or his empty rental tank:).
Glenn is now the fishes best friend and will now be known as “the hot dog man” :D.
All in all I’d say we had a great day for the 2nd NCWD get together (we missed you Mel, Mary and Herman).

Jason

I had some reservations about traveling 2 1/2 hours to a quarry early Saturday morning but since I was already packed up, I decided what the heck. It was very easy getting to Lake Rawlings from Northern VA. It was a nice change to see signs posted on the road for Lake Rawlings (unlike Millbrook which has a 50-gallon drum painted in dive flag colors). I went ahead and got my pass and a t-shirt for a souvenir. I parked my car initially in the Dumbo parking lot. I waited about 5 minutes for the tram to pick me up but decided to walk to the Lake and find the crew from North Carolina Wreck Divers. After asking about 4 different groups, I finally found them at a great spot near the water. I met Jason, Dale, Glenn, Charlie, and Ken at Ken's bungalow. Wreck Goddess (a fiery redhead name unrecalled) and Don, fellow Northern VAers, came a little afterwards and the whole crew was assembled. I did two dives with Jason and Glenn and one with Ken and Glenn, which was close to a twilight dive. It was a pleasure meeting the good folks of NC Wreck Divers and I hope to dive with them again, hopefully at one the wrecks off of NC. I took some pictures and I will post them in my gallery shortly. Ken was definitely a lifesaver with the Crustables, water, and providing a ride to get more air. Lake Rawlings needs to think about moving the shop closer to the water.

Pedro

Wreck Goddess,

Us Northern VA people have to get together. I hate to ask but what was your real name again? I have to say that is a very nice picture of you. Have fun in Florida. I hope to go in March during spring break and dive Crystal River and/or South Florida/Keys. See you next time.

Pedro

Pedro,

Vanessa, at your service!

I'm going to have a happy hour for the divers in the DC Metro area I believe the following Wednesday after Veteran's Day.. if you are available, let me know! We can always consider it an extension of the NC Wreck Divers. :) I will also make sure to bring the pics from Florida. And if you ever need a buddy or a driver for a trip.. I spend A LOT of time in my car driving to different wrecks!
~Vanessa aka "WreckGoddess"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom