NCWD meet no. 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jason B

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I wake up Saturday morning, let the dog out, and notice frost on the ground. What the #@$%, I’m supposed to go diving in about an hour or so. As I load tanks in the bed of my truck, smoke rises off them as the warm tanks meet the cold air. At this point I’m wondering if anyone is going to show other than me. Who would have thought it would have turned out as nice as it did. By 10:00 The air was in the 60’s as was the water temps, and the sun was beaming. Vis was down a bit from last weekend but still a good 18 feet I’d guess. By 11:00, Dale, Ken, Glenn, Charlie, Pedro, Wreck Goddess, Don (Bones) and myself were all gathered around a picnic table, exchanging dive experiences and a few laughs. After the initial “meet and greet” was over we suited up and hit the water. We were diving in three teams. The main objective was to have fun-which we did:D.
Lake Rawlings has a lift bag area where divers can practice lift bag use. Apparently, the day earlier, someone practicing their lift bag technique screwed up, had a boat motor get away from them, and dropped it over the ledge. Dale graciously offered our services to locate and return this motor to the lift bag area. Well, on the second dive Dale found the motor, right were it was suppose to be…in the lift bag area:).
We can’t forget Ken and his box of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (they were good...and no crust!) or his empty rental tank:).
Glenn is now the fishes best friend and will now be known as “the hot dog man” :D.
All in all I’d say we had a great day for the 2nd NCWD get together (we missed you Mel, Mary and Herman).

Jason

I am extremely jealous, and wish I could have been there. Instead I worked in the office to make up for the time I'll miss later this week.

Did you guys plan any upcoming dive trips?

What is this about Ken's empty rental tank?

Sounds like you guys had fun. Wished I could have been there but I have to work to keep funding my diving habit....and other bad habits like eating.

Thanks everybody for a great day of diving!

:11: The empty tank wasn't my fault :20:
I am guessing they were the same tanks I rented last weekend, and just had never been refilled, and by the way, I did catch it before I entered the water.

Now, on the other hand, dropping my mask on the way back to shore, and Dale having to retrieve it..... :D

Yup we missed you guys (Mel and Herman), but no worries, there will be other dives.

Ken

Yesterday was great! We had some new faces and most of the ones that were at get together 1. You were missed Mel :wink: Kudos to Ken (again) for bringing the "UNCRUSTABLES" pb&j sandwiches. Water temp was about 66 on the surface and 59 or so at 60ft. Vis was awesome (compared to NCWD get together 1 :wink: ) I'm looking forward to our next get together, I may have to dust off the 7mm for that one though. Ken took some humurous pics on the second dive that I'm looking forward to seeing. Why can't we have a get together every weekend? LOL

kwickert:
Jason and I are going to take a Nitrox class, either next weekend or the first weekend in Dec. at Fantasy Lake if anyone is interested.

Ken

If you two do the Nitrox class any weekend but this coming weekend, let me know. I've already taken it but may go out and dive while you two are out there. Maybe some others from the group would want to join me. What do you think the water temp will be for late Nov./early December?

I'll go get wet with you Mel. The temp in late Nov./early Dec. will be about "Cold" but we can handle it :wink:

dwright:
I'll go get wet with you Mel. The temp in late Nov./early Dec. will be about "Cold" but we can handle it :wink:

I know I can always count on you Dale. "Cold" doesn't answer my question. I'm just wondering if a 7 with a hooded vest will keep me warm.

Hi folks - posted on the previous thread earlier thanking everyone for a GREAT day at Rawlings! Again, thanks especially Ken - for the early riser and getting the BEST spot. At least I spotted the 'ole mask drifting down to the bottom! And Ken - I owe you lunch, or at least a cold rereshing beverage of your choice! - you saved my a** on the food situation. Mel - you were a HOT topic of conversation - but since you weren't there, guess you'll never know. :wink: ... (just kidding - everyone wished you, Mary and Herman were there). Guess its our turn to envy you the coming weekend in the warm climes of Key Largo! Have fun!

kwickert:
Jason and I are going to take a Nitrox class, either next weekend or the first weekend in Dec. at Fantasy Lake if anyone is interested.

Ken
I'm interested - this weekend is open for me - who's giving the class, etc? I'll have to scramble to get the book and book learnin' in b4 Sat or Sunday. I just checked and I'm also open the 4th and 5th of Dec. - which might make it a little easier to get my act together. I'm absolutely gonna get Nitrox b4 this summer - I'm going on the Utila Dive trip the first week in Aug, as I mentioned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom