Nautilus lifeline - promotional deal - first 4 orders $259..this price won't last!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Manhood flapping in the wind.... That's a good one. Sometimes it's a good thing to let it hang out and get a good airing, but I digress.....

Let's see. You asked to become a dealer, and all was good. You then wrote a critique of a guys marketing efforts. Not a marketing professional, but a liveaboard dive boat owner and engineer, who has probably done more to enhance the safety of sport divers since the guy who invented the safety sausage. (hint: Engineers don't take critique well). Then you didn't even charge him for critiquing his marketing efforts? Wow, that's big of you. Then you wonder why the guy doesn't want to do business with you.

I'm not trying to be crappy to you, but let me give you some hints. Mike Lever built one of the most successful liveaboard dive companies on sweat, hard work, and a lot of mistakes. He has a boat consistently booked out at exorbitant rates for 2 years in advance. He saw a need for a piece of safety gear that most of us (liveaboard owners) also see, so he risked everything he had (he re-mortgaged the boat) for whatever price he could and designed and built the lifeline. Then he marketed the lifeline to scubadivers, the most fickle, looking-for-a-discount demographic there is on the planet, and he's gotta sell something like 100,000 of them just to pay his loan back. Then some MBA student comes along and tells him how ineffective he is. OH yeah, you're advertising his radios at a discount, which he doesn't allow. Whether or not you agree with MARP, it's how it is in much of scuba.

I am sorry you feel that you look like a fool, I don't think you do, but take this lesson back to your MBA class: If you're selling something, make sure you have it in your hand to sell before you go selling it. If you are selling widgits at a discount, you need to have widgets to sell. This does not apply in the crude oil speculative market, but look at the bubble that they are creating Like all bubbles, somehow when this one collapses it will bite the taxpayer in the ass, but again, I digress. The lessons here are plain. Don't sell what you don't own, and don't give advice unless it's asked for. Listening to both lessons will save your manhood from flapping in the breeze.

I'm kind of surprised he even spoke to you.

Sounds embarrassing, but really most folks will never realize or remember. I guess fault all boils down to that email you received, and what exactly did it say.

Manhood flapping in the wind.... That's a good one. Sometimes it's a good thing to let it hang out and get a good airing, but I digress.....

Let's see. You asked to become a dealer, and all was good. You then wrote a critique of a guys marketing efforts. Not a marketing professional, but a liveaboard dive boat owner and engineer, who has probably done more to enhance the safety of sport divers since the guy who invented the safety sausage. (hint: Engineers don't take critique well). Then you didn't even charge him for critiquing his marketing efforts? Wow, that's big of you. Then you wonder why the guy doesn't want to do business with you.

I'm not trying to be crappy to you, but let me give you some hints. Mike Lever built one of the most successful liveaboard dive companies on sweat, hard work, and a lot of mistakes. He has a boat consistently booked out at exorbitant rates for 2 years in advance. He saw a need for a piece of safety gear that most of us (liveaboard owners) also see, so he risked everything he had (he re-mortgaged the boat) for whatever price he could and designed and built the lifeline. Then he marketed the lifeline to scubadivers, the most fickle, looking-for-a-discount demographic there is on the planet, and he's gotta sell something like 100,000 of them just to pay his loan back. Then some MBA student comes along and tells him how ineffective he is. OH yeah, you're advertising his radios at a discount, which he doesn't allow. Whether or not you agree with MARP, it's how it is in much of scuba.

I am sorry you feel that you look like a fool, I don't think you do, but take this lesson back to your MBA class: If you're selling something, make sure you have it in your hand to sell before you go selling it. If you are selling widgits at a discount, you need to have widgets to sell. This does not apply in the crude oil speculative market, but look at the bubble that they are creating Like all bubbles, somehow when this one collapses it will bite the taxpayer in the ass, but again, I digress. The lessons here are plain. Don't sell what you don't own, and don't give advice unless it's asked for. Listening to both lessons will save your manhood from flapping in the breeze.

Words to the wise right there. There is big, big difference between someone in business and somebody who thinks business is making a couple of posts on the internet to ***** out a product. When I read this -

d I went out and advertised on here and other websites for a promotional deal I felt would get me some quick sales and establish myself as a dealer of this new product. The promotional price I offered the units for didn't rake in any profits for me. I was basically doing all this because I believed in the product and wanted to see it succeed and after I made some inroads and established myself as a representative for the product it would have been nice to make a small profit as a dealer. After all......I already have a job......

that was all I needed to read. Zero dollars at risk and 2 hours of skin in the game, that's called a hobby.

Gee...I'm real glad you're not trying to be "crappy" to me...if you were I'd probably be crying right now. And you're a boat captain? Why am I not surprised your comment would take the biased bent that it did. I'm not surprised you would completely gloss over some facts and try and put this on me....but here is a copy of the email I received from your hero.....I'm very anxious to see where you can show me where they told me about not advertising at a discount.

===
Dear
Vicente,

Thank you for signing up online to become a dealer.

If
you would like to be listed on our dealer map, all you have to do is place an
order. If you order 4 - 9 units, dealer pricing is USD 215 per unit. Or if you
would like to order 10+ units, dealer pricing is USD 195 per unit. Shipping is
USD 10 for the first unit, and USD 3 for any additional units in the same
shipment. MSRP = MAP = USD 299.

Please note that we also have pouches
available. Dealer pricing is USD 18, and retail price is USD 35.99. You can find
a picture of the pouch on our website:
http://nautiluslifeline.com/shop/nautilus-lifeline-pouch

I
have attached our dealer Purchase Order form for your review. If you would
prefer, you can call in your order at 1 604 241 1918.

Please let me know
if you would like to place an order, or if there is anything else I can do to
help.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

=====

In addition, you did not read the paper I wrote...engineers don't take criticism well? I sent it in response to the section of the Nautilus website THAT ASKS FOR COMMENTS AND SUGGESTIONS......so it wasn't sent unsolicited......and if you are in business....and you ASK for comments and suggestions....but then get upset when someone actually sends you suggestions.....THEN YOU'RE A DUMB BUSINESSMAN.....but from the way I see some of you run your boat business and the scuba industry in general.....I'm not saying anything people don't know already.

---------- Post added April 25th, 2012 at 10:06 AM ----------

that was all I needed to read. Zero dollars at risk and 2 hours of skin in the game, that's called a hobby.

Ummm...you must have missed the part of my post where I said I already have a job....I wasn't doing this to make money...I was doing it because I belived in the product and wanted to see it succeed....so....ok.....it was a hobby...the part I objected to was not being supported in a situation that wasn't caused by anything I did.

Last edited:

"If you would like to be listed on our dealer map, all you have to do is place an order."

That's sounds pretty cut and dried to me.

The manufacturer never said anything about being a business

flots.

Gee...I'm real glad you're not trying to be "crappy" to me...if you were I'd probably be crying right now. And you're a boat captain? Why am I not surprised your comment would take the biased bent that it did. I'm not surprised you would completely gloss over some facts and try and put this on me....but here is a copy of the email I received from your hero.....I'm very anxious to see where you can show me where they told me about not advertising at a discount.

===
Dear
Vicente,

Thank you for signing up online to become a dealer.

If
you would like to be listed on our dealer map, all you have to do is place an
order. If you order 4 - 9 units, dealer pricing is USD 215 per unit. Or if you
would like to order 10+ units, dealer pricing is USD 195 per unit. Shipping is
USD 10 for the first unit, and USD 3 for any additional units in the same
shipment. MSRP = MAP = USD 299.

Please note that we also have pouches
available. Dealer pricing is USD 18, and retail price is USD 35.99. You can find
a picture of the pouch on our website:
http://nautiluslifeline.com/shop/nautilus-lifeline-pouch

I
have attached our dealer Purchase Order form for your review. If you would
prefer, you can call in your order at 1 604 241 1918.

Please let me know
if you would like to place an order, or if there is anything else I can do to
help.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

=====

In addition, you did not read the paper I wrote...engineers don't take criticism well? I sent it in response to the section of the Nautilus website THAT ASKS FOR COMMENTS AND SUGGESTIONS......so it wasn't sent unsolicited......and if you are in business....and you ASK for comments and suggestions....but then get upset when someone actually sends you suggestions.....THEN YOU'RE A DUMB BUSINESSMAN.....but from the way I see some of you run your boat business and the scuba industry in general.....I'm not saying anything people don't know already.

---------- Post added April 25th, 2012 at 10:06 AM ----------

Ummm...you must have missed the part of my post where I said I already have a job....I wasn't doing this to make money...I was doing it because I belived in the product and wanted to see it succeed....so....ok.....it was a hobby...the part I objected to was not being supported in a situation that wasn't caused by anything I did.

I guess you've never been crapped on. Look, all I'm saying is that the first thing you did was violate the terms of your dealer agreement set out to you in the terms and conditions as set forth in the e-mail you reference. I did not know Mike was asking for comments on his video or other marketing materials, and you're right, I haven't seen his video or the e-mail you sent critiquing it, I don't know how harsh you were, but you obviously took my post to be harsh and it wasn't meant that way at all. Sometimes things said in written form don't come across the way they were meant at all. You weren't being supported BECAUSE YOU VIOLATED THE TERMS OF THE AGREEMENT YOU HAD WITH NAUTILUS LIFELINE. I'm sorry you wanted to create a market then make a little profit later on, but that's not how it works in this case. Nautilus Lifeline was completely within their rights to cut you off at the knees for marketing outside of MAP which in this case is $299.

You have a legitimate gripe in that it says nowhere in their marketing agreement that you must be brick and mortar. I have only read what you have posted and what is on the Lifeline website, I've never seen a dealer agreement, so I don't know the full terms and conditions, but as I said, you appear to have a legitimate beef about that.

You do know that the e-mail you attached calls out a MAP of $299, right? You also know that MAP is Minimum Advertised Price, right? You advertised the Lifeline for $259, therefore your challenge to
see where you can show me where they told me about not advertising at a discount
is right here:
MSRP = MAP = USD 299.

I really wasn't (and am not) crapping on you, I'm trying to show you the other side of the coin. maybe a thicker skin would help for a business major. Maybe I'm way off base. I have been before.

I guess you've never been crapped on. Look, all I'm saying is that the first thing you did was violate the terms of your dealer agreement set out to you in the terms and conditions as set forth in the e-mail you reference. I did not know Mike was asking for comments on his video or other marketing materials, and you're right, I haven't seen his video or the e-mail you sent critiquing it, I don't know how harsh you were, but you obviously took my post to be harsh and it wasn't meant that way at all. Sometimes things said in written form don't come across the way they were meant at all. You weren't being supported BECAUSE YOU VIOLATED THE TERMS OF THE AGREEMENT YOU HAD WITH NAUTILUS LIFELINE. I'm sorry you wanted to create a market then make a little profit later on, but that's not how it works in this case. Nautilus Lifeline was completely within their rights to cut you off at the knees for marketing outside of MAP which in this case is $299.

You have a legitimate gripe in that it says nowhere in their marketing agreement that you must be brick and mortar. I have only read what you have posted and what is on the Lifeline website, I've never seen a dealer agreement, so I don't know the full terms and conditions, but as I said, you appear to have a legitimate beef about that.

You do know that the e-mail you attached calls out a MAP of $299, right? You also know that MAP is Minimum Advertised Price, right? You advertised the Lifeline for $259, therefore your challenge to is right here:

I really wasn't (and am not) crapping on you, I'm trying to show you the other side of the coin. maybe a thicker skin would help for a business major. Maybe I'm way off base. I have been before.

Missed MAP...saw MSRP..if you read my OP again, you would see that this wasn't and still isn't my issue. My issue was in the way this situation was handled. Advertised price issue could EASILY have been resolved......so could the issue of the orders that were in a holding pattern. You are picking at the tiniest scab. I see the other side of the coin.....it's still a crappy way to run a business.....glad it's not MY business.

"If you would like to be listed on our dealer map, all you have to do is place an order."

That's sounds pretty cut and dried to me.

The manufacturer never said anything about being a business

flots.

I'm sure Nautilus wants to establish a value to their product, they must have a minimum price they want their dealers to sell their product at. The OP wasn't meeting that number I'm sure. Real businesses are in the business of making a profit, they have a reason to, just whoring out somebodies product for whatever jollies probably doesn't appeal to Nautilus. The OP wanting to be the next social media/cyber millionaire operating in his underwear in his basement at the expense of Nautilus' perceived value in the market I'm sure doesn't really interest them.

I'm sure Nautilus wants to establish a value to their product, they must have a minimum price they want their dealers to sell their product at. The OP wasn't meeting that number I'm sure. Real businesses are in the business of making a profit, they have a reason to, just whoring out somebodies product for whatever jollies probably doesn't appeal to Nautilus. The OP wanting to be the next social media/cyber millionaire operating in his underwear in his basement at the expense of Nautilus' perceived value in the market I'm sure doesn't really interest them.

You know something Mike...you post a lot....and you post a lot of crap. Your assesment of the situation is not only WAY off base but it's insulting and shows you have absolutely no freaking clue what you're talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom