NAUI swim standards - Mea culpa - I stand corrected

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I said yesterday that if I was wrong I'd cop to it and here I am.

Although this does not involve a specific accident, since it got started in the Yukon accident thread, I thought it appropriate to post in this forum. AndIi thought it best to make it it's own thread so it doesn't just get buried in the voluminous posts of the previously mentioned thread.

---------------------------------------------------------------

There was a rather vigorous discussion yesterday about whether the NAUI swim standard was still 225 yards non-stop (any stroke) as I contended, or whether it had been changed to 15-stroke cycles as The Engineer contended.

I was wrong.

I just got off the phone with Jed Livingstone at NAUI who told me that the standard was changed but he couldn't remember exactly when, though he thought it was 7-10 years ago.

The reason was that the ANSI standard has expired (1999) and the RSTC couldn't agree on a new standard (somewhere around 2000). Some wanted to keep the 225-yards, some wanted to go to 300-yards but allow it to be done with mask/snorkel/fins. Jed said NAUI's position was, "We're not going to certify people who can't swim!!!"

But they also started thinking about what it was they were trying to measure/evaluate. They used the standard of someone who huffed and pufffed and struggled through 225 yards but was able to do it, though not comfortably. And how would you deal with someone who was comfortable, but didn't have the stamina for 225 yards?

They said what they wanted was for instructors to be able to evaluate how well a person could swim, as opposed to swimming a specific distance, and if what was being evaluated was ability/comfort, what was required to do that?

That's where the 15 swim stroke cycles (which I still say sounds like non-NAUI jargon) came into being. Jed said that the feeling was that a NAUI instructor should be able to tell in that amount of strokes/time, whether or not a person is comfortable enough in the water to be able to learn to dive safely and not be a danger to themsevles.

Now in my defense, since what NAUI sets are minimum standards, I can personally still require my students to do 225-yards since it will also encompass 15 swim-stroke cycles. And to be honest (and I mentioned this to Jed), I've always felt the most telling skill was the drownproofing, where you float on your face until you need a breath, take it, float on your face until you need a breath, take it, etc., etc., for 10 minutes. I can usually tell in 30 seconds who's going to have problems and who isn't.

But this is my mea culpa as I had it wrong yesterday. And without making any value judgment, 15 swim stroke cycles it is.

One good thing that may have come out of this is I mentioned to Jed my frustrtaion at not being able to find on the NAUI website the current up-to-date standards. And while he said that I was correct in that my master copy of the 1996 version is the basis, if there are changes any year, they are sent out as errata pages that can easily be changed out to update your copy.

But those pages don't exist on the website so if you missed something, there's no way to contemporarily get caught up. So Jed's going to look into getting that info all up on the website so any instructor can make sure at any time that he/she has the most current information.

I think that's my dose of humble pie for today. :)

- Ken

Takes a real man to owe up to being wrong about something. Good one on ya, Ken!

All the best, James

Ken,

We've met before but I can't remember on what dive trips or on what boats, though Spectre, Peace or Truth are the probable candidates. Thanks for your honesty and your professionalism on the other thread. I also now have an insight on the swim requirements.

Don

Ken,
I really appreciate your posts and even your apology has class.

I was working on my rescue cert this past weekend. I got to watch the Naui instructor at the start of the concurrent OW class determine if these newbies could swim. They did the 225+ swim. THEN I had the pleasure of swimming twice that amount....:depressed: then it was the 800 yard swim with fins. Then it was on to big search patterns.....over and over. I am proud to say that at age 45 that I made it 5 hours before my first major cramp. That was the FIRST day.....

Point is....when I read statements like "students can't swim"....well that strikes me as a bit absurd. I'm still sore today. :shocked2: It's even more absurd coming from an inflammatory non-instructor troll...

Terry

You guys are nice to your students... We make ours do a 1200yd circuit for all classes... Pluss the 900yarder with fins that leadership requires separately...

I admit though, I went through a Red Cross lifeguard re-cert this summer and was shocked to find that there is no timed swim anymore, nor a required tread... That's bs. I don't think I want my lifeguards to not be able to tread or swim fairly quickly...

Takes a real man to owe up to being wrong about something.
Particularly when arguing with somebody who is, uh...considerably less gracious.

Particularly when arguing with somebody who is, uh...considerably less gracious.

Someone had to say it. I agree with them Ken, "Good on ya" for coming clean when you really did not have to. That discussion was nothing more than 1 person's efforts to thump his own chest and to derail the thread.

You guys are nice to your students... We make ours do a 1200yd circuit for all classes... Pluss the 900yarder with fins that leadership requires separately...

Ouch...I could probably do it, but we would have to move my post to the whine and cheese section.

1200 yard? How far does someone have to swim before the instructor decides that someone can swim? LOL! (Rhetorical...please don't reply)

I jog three times weekly. Bike once weekly. I just don't swim routinely enough to not throw in a few "dog paddles" in that 400 yarder... OK...I lied....LOTS of dog paddles. I don't have a lot of body fat (or muscle), so I pretty much sink like a rock in fresh water.

I do agree with you...I want my lifeguard and my rescue diver to be a "strong" swimmer.

(Sorry ... I know I moved it off topic...it won't happen again....for the next 10 minutes)

Terry

circuit is a 800 timed swim and kick then the last 400 is on scuba.
25 underwater swim
375 freestyle
don mask fins snorkel while treading water, can't touch the wall
25 underwater kick
375 surface kick
don scuba gear while treading water, can't touch wall
100 on surface mask off
100 surface mask on
100 underwater mask off
100 underwater mask on

it's a party. Perfect score for grade is 16 minutes on the first 800yds. Not that difficult, but needless to say he encourages us to swim during the semester

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom