NAUI rules about open water course and Bp/wing and long hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grey Goose

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Folks,

A question for those familiar with NAUI policy. For the beginning open water course, are there any directives about using a Bp/W or long hose (6 feet) and bungee backup? Thanks!

that includes your ability to teach primary donate and in a bp/w. It is one of the nice things with NAUI, the instructors are granted quite a bit of freedom. We don't use long hoses, but teach primary donate with suicide strap secondary.

In case anyone might be wondering... OW can be taught/taken in BP/W and long hose with pretty much every agency. I think BSAC is the only one I know of tbat has some sort if issue with long Jose/primary donate.

Many thanks. (I was doing a guest lecture on equipment and wanted to get facts right.)

The padi course my wife took told her she could not use a long hose and backup under chin. the bpw was no problem but the reg configuration was a no no.

In case anyone might be wondering... OW can be taught/taken in BP/W and long hose with pretty much every agency. I think BSAC is the only one I know of tbat has some sort if issue with long Jose/primary donate.

The padi course my wife took told her she could not use a long hose and backup under chin. the bpw was no problem but the reg configuration was a no no.

That's an instructor issue, not an agency issue, as far as I know...

Correct... Instructor didn't know what he was talking about.

An instructor can set the gear configuration requirement (that meets the standards) as he sees necessary......

Liking it or not is our debate....

OP said nothing to the "PADI says you must have...." being what the instructor said.

While I don't like it either, it can be done.

For always being the "statement police", you blew that one Ray....

Reactions: RJP
I would have thought so also. Their justificaton centered around the skills of primary regulator recovery after loss and sharing air with the secondary not being conducive to the curriculum's step by step textbook process. BTW this was a one on one class to boot.

That's an instructor issue, not an agency issue, as far as I know...

Back
Top Bottom