• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

NAUI OW diver, and downside to doing Nitrox thru PADI?

Discussion in 'Q and A for Scuba Certification Agencies' started by FreeFlyFreak, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Bigbella

Bigbella Barracuda

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    It also has to be poorly mimeographed, slightly skewed to the right, with that blue ink staining the hands.

I miss that . . .

2. rsingler

rsingler Scuba Instructor, Tinkerer in Brass Staff Member ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    And the smell of that mimeograph ink? Heavenly! :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

3. Bigbella

Bigbella Barracuda

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Oh, that's the stuff . . .

4. wetb4igetinthewater

wetb4igetinthewater Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Funny you should say that. For OW, SSI's (no longer teach for that agency but I must give them props) materials are so good, I didn't have to teach any theory. The students came in and just got it. Never seen that before or since. More perfect scores, no one failing. I was amazed. But I can see how it can make an instructor lazy in the case where students may need help in certain areas.

I really wished OW was augmented by all agencies to include nitrox. It isn't rocket science. It is the most common con ed course (so I've been told). There just isn't that much to it, but it is critical that people do get some fundamentals in order to not kill themselves. One of the reasons I'd like to see this in open water is to instill the discipline in all students to check cylinder contents before diving.

5. MikadoWu

MikadoWu Barracuda

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    95% of all the course taught at my shop are OW/Nitrox, if you come to us with OW, well I up-sell you AOW/Nitrox. I went though the price guide, it cuts into our overhead a little, but we are happier doing it this way.