NAUI Course Completion Credit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW, I've had issues with PADI a couple times, though in both cases quickly resolved.

Case #1: They had the wrong address for me apparently, so my Rescue Card went astray. They sent me a new one when I called after looking up that I had completed the course. Checking address as suggested above might help.

Case #2: Trying to look up my diver record took several tries at a local shop. It was, as noted above, getting the right combination of first name (full, or nickname?) and how much (if any) of my middle name was used. This also created a minor glitch when I was doing DM. I effectively had two accounts with PADI linked to the same e-mail address because I'd signed up with a different tweak on my name than the original account. Depending on which PADI database was looking, you'd see different aspects of my record. Again, a call to PADI fixed it. I'm wondering if you might have done the same?

Thanks for the information. I found myself in the NAUI database without a problem; I'm just showing "in progress" for the Master Diver and FIT courses.

To be clear, this is not an agency issue. This is an issue between you and the instructor and/or dive shop. Instructors are not employed by an agency; they simply certify through the agency. I've dealt with similar issues (PADI and NAUI) and in each case the student wanted to blame the agency, but it was the instructors fault. Neither PADI nor NAUI has the manpower to hunt down each and every instructor when someone calls with a complaint. Logistically it is impossible.

What you need to do now is write a formal letter and send it to NAUI. A phone call will not cut it. This is true for both agencies and many other businesses; I used to work in the travel industry and they too required a written letter. From there, NAUI can take further action. Without a letter nothing can really be done In some of the cases where I helped a student or certified diver who didn't want to write a letter because it took too much time nothing was resolved. In the cases where the individual wrote a letter matters were resolved in one fashion or another. When you write the letter be sure to show proof of payment for the course along with any other records that you can provide. This will help to bolster your case.

Just trying to give you some advice for help. In the last few months some of my students completed their FIT as well as DM training and they had no issues "receiving credit" with NAUI. After reading your posts it appears the issue lies with the instructor and you.

Good luck!

I appreciate the information. I figured the issue was with the instructor and/or shop, but the NAUI rep wasn't super helpful. Your post was infinitely more helpful. I'm more than willing to write a letter, but I'd like to give the instructor/shop another shot at this. I like both the instructor and the shop, so I don't really want to burn any bridges. If my attempt to contact them isn't successful, I'll use the nuclear option.

Thanks for the information. I found myself in the NAUI database without a problem; I'm just showing "in progress" for the Master Diver and FIT courses.

It sounds like either you have not finished the e-learning part or that your instructor has not turned in his paperwork. It really does not sound like a problem with NAUI headquarters. Suggest you contact your instructor or the dive shop.

BTW, if your instructor is not current with his insurance and fees, NAUI will not issue certificates. Suggest that you look up your instructor as well.

It sounds like either you have not finished the e-learning part or that your instructor has not turned in his paperwork. It really does not sound like a problem with NAUI headquarters. Suggest you contact your instructor or the dive shop.

BTW, if your instructor is not current with his insurance and fees, NAUI will not issue certificates. Suggest that you look up your instructor as well.

I'm showing complete on the eLearning. I had the same instructor for AOW, NITROX, and resuce, and there were no issues. I'm waiting to hear from the instructor and shop.

@Mike F. Richards

As others have correctly pointed out to you that it is an issue between you and the instructor not the agency. You need to be much more assertive with your instructor/dive center (just don't burn bridges) including writing them a letter detailing the issue(s) and facts from your point of view and what resolution you want from them. The letter needs to be delivered to them via certified/registered mail or courier service.

If all else fails, you will need to send a letter with all pertinent details (in a concise and precise manner) to the training department at NAUI with copies of all details and relevant documents and communications with the instructor/dive center. The letter needs to be, again, via certified/registered mail or courier service. You should email the letter with the shipping information to the training department also to expedite the matter.

To NAUI's credit, I have seen prompt action from their part in similar situations when the complainant followed all steps in a professional and documented manner. At the end, if it isn't worth your time, as a complainant, to follow proper procedures with all relevant explanations and documentations, it isn't worth anybody else's time or effort to do anything for you.

Start with the instructor/dive center as I have pointed out for you above as first step.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom