NAUI Course Completion Credit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike F. Richards

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Has anyone else had trouble getting course credit through NAUI? In the last six months or so, I completed the NAUI Master Diver and FIT courses, but I haven't received credit for them. I'm working on being an instructor, but I'm hesitant to proceed if I'm not getting credit for the courses. I contacted the dive shop a couple times as well as the instructor. I was told that NAUI is having computer issues with respect to certifying divers. I reached out to NAUI, but I haven't heard anything. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it. TIA.

Have you signed into the website to see what shows up? Sign In | NAUI CORE

You can call NAUI directly at:
NAUI Worldwide Headquarters
9030 Camden Field Parkway
Riverview, FL. 33578
USA

Toll Free: 800-553-6284

Yes, I checked online, and I'm showing complete for AOW, NITROX, and Rescue. For Master and FIT, I'm just showing that I completed the online training. I emailed the training and verify diver email addresses, but haven't heard anything yet. I might just try to give them a call.

It used to be that if the names were not exactly the same in NAUI's database, it would not bring up all of your records. The only ones that would show up would be those associated with that exact name and birthdate. For instance, a search for Mike Richards will yield different results than a search for Mike F. Richards. In that case, a call to NAUI followed up with an e-mail is all it takes to fix it.

Also, check with your instructor to verify that he did indeed send in the completion forms and that he used the proper name, etc.

Where did you get your training? Who was your instructor?

I just talked to the training office at NAUI, and spoke to a most unpleasant woman who told me that I need to talk to the shop and the instructor about getting credit for the courses. Of course I've done this a number of times to no avail. I guess it's time to look for another training agency.

I just talked to the training office at NAUI, and spoke to a most unpleasant woman who told me that I need to talk to the shop and the instructor about getting credit for the courses. Of course I've done this a number of times to no avail. I guess it's time to look for another training agency.
That's very disappointing. I'd hoped to hear of a better response from NAUI. I don't blame you for wanting to switch.

Yeah, it was very disappointing. She didn't even both to look up my profile to see if there was some issue She simply assumed that it was the shop's fault or the instructor's fault, and put the work back on me.

Yeah, it was very disappointing. She didn't even both to look up my profile to see if there was some issue She simply assumed that it was the shop's fault or the instructor's fault, and put the work back on me.
Yeah. You would hope that if a customer calls the agency HQ, someone at HQ would take ownership of figuring out what's going on with the issue. Obviously not. Shameful on NAUI's part. I'm sad to hear it, because I'm pretty sure even PADI does a better job at this sort of thing based on other vaguely similar posts I've seen.

6 months is a long long time to wait. I got cards for every naui class I took on the last day of that class. Of course, it helps that my dive shop is only an hour away from naui HQ I'm sure.

FWIW, I've had issues with PADI a couple times, though in both cases quickly resolved.

Case #1: They had the wrong address for me apparently, so my Rescue Card went astray. They sent me a new one when I called after looking up that I had completed the course. Checking address as suggested above might help.

Case #2: Trying to look up my diver record took several tries at a local shop. It was, as noted above, getting the right combination of first name (full, or nickname?) and how much (if any) of my middle name was used. This also created a minor glitch when I was doing DM. I effectively had two accounts with PADI linked to the same e-mail address because I'd signed up with a different tweak on my name than the original account. Depending on which PADI database was looking, you'd see different aspects of my record. Again, a call to PADI fixed it. I'm wondering if you might have done the same?

To be clear, this is not an agency issue. This is an issue between you and the instructor and/or dive shop. Instructors are not employed by an agency; they simply certify through the agency. I've dealt with similar issues (PADI and NAUI) and in each case the student wanted to blame the agency, but it was the instructors fault. Neither PADI nor NAUI has the manpower to hunt down each and every instructor when someone calls with a complaint. Logistically it is impossible.

What you need to do now is write a formal letter and send it to NAUI. A phone call will not cut it. This is true for both agencies and many other businesses; I used to work in the travel industry and they too required a written letter. From there, NAUI can take further action. Without a letter nothing can really be done In some of the cases where I helped a student or certified diver who didn't want to write a letter because it took too much time nothing was resolved. In the cases where the individual wrote a letter matters were resolved in one fashion or another. When you write the letter be sure to show proof of payment for the course along with any other records that you can provide. This will help to bolster your case.

Just trying to give you some advice for help. In the last few months some of my students completed their FIT as well as DM training and they had no issues "receiving credit" with NAUI. After reading your posts it appears the issue lies with the instructor and you.

Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom