Natalee Holloway - Aruba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Geraldo (I like to pronounce it with a G) manages to make an arse out of himself in just about everything newsworthy...

Not only was he kicked out of Iraq for the above mentioned, but in Afghanistan..he staged a mock 'attack' on him and his news crew...I think at this point he was also carrying a gun..he was dodging behind rocks and ducking etc...however, there were 5-6 other troops caught on camera sitting, eating/smoking right in his immediate vicinity...just watching him...obviously not concerned with their lives. He staged it to look good and in the end he look like a class A ARSE!!

jepuskar:
Geraldo (I like to pronounce it with a G) manages to make an arse out of himself in just about everything newsworthy...

Not only was he kicked out of Iraq for the above mentioned, but in Afghanistan..he staged a mock 'attack' on him and his news crew...I think at this point he was also carrying a gun..he was dodging behind rocks and ducking etc...however, there were 5-6 other troops caught on camera sitting, eating/smoking right in his immediate vicinity...just watching him...obviously not concerned with their lives. He staged it to look good and in the end he look like a class A ARSE!!

She just deserved better than this, .... her family deserves better....

I better not write this in the past tense....

She deserves better than this, ... her family deserves better....

A serious potential tradegy or missing persons incident has now become a circus....

Geraldo carrying a gun changed his "status" from being "protected" as a member of the press. In fact, him doing so and "advertising" it on his broadcasts made him, his crew, and other press members "targets". A very dumb and dangerous thing to do.

CaliforniaDiver.com:
She just deserved better than this, .... her family deserves better....

I better not write this in the past tense....

She deserves better than this, ... her family deserves better....

A serious potential tradegy or missing persons incident has now become a circus....
Well, if it's a circus that's in large part because the Aruba juducial system has made it a circus. Oh I'm sure they'd like the media to go away, so they can continue playing "pin the tail on the black guy in the shadow". They have a big problem, and thank god for once the media is keeping this story front and center.

Arubians need to realize that if they want to maintain that pretense of being a "safe" country to visit, they need to prove that to the target audience. It's starting to look like any "safe" record was not due to the prowness of the judicial system, but dumb luck (or enough spare black guys to blame).

This is the most unfortunate incident. It may be time to start 'rethinking' Spring Break trips to foreign countries for young people. Not that Aruba is unsafe--but the world can be soo unsafe, particularly for teenagers, who can stay out all night, and drink alcohol on vacation--things they might not have done before. I remember being very naive in those days--nothing bad had happened to me yet--I guess you harden with age, and trust fewer people. I have talked about this with my niece and her friends, and maybe we can protect a few more kids by sharing this story.

My prayers go out to her and her family, and for her safe return.

Xarifa:
I remember being very naive in those days--

on top of not having particularly good parental supervision (to say the least),
i had a risk-taker streak in me.

i'm surprised, in retrospect, that i made it through my teens. sometimes you do
stupid stuff and get away with it. sometimes you do stupid stuff and get unlucky,
and that's it.

this sort of story just breaks my heart. 18 years old, and everything has
been taken away from her. everything. just like the story of that 18
year old guy from Quebec who got shot in Honduras, for nothing...

i just don't undersand it.

Question, since this happened on Aruba, and many of the people there travel back and forth to Bonaiire and Curacao, do you think these kinds of people could do such a thing on Bonaire? I know this can happen anywhere, but somehow you don't expect young girls to go missing on such a small vacation place. Are all three of the ABC islands having more crime than usual?

"...
While expressing "deep concern" over the 18-year-old's fate, Oduber also sought to reassure the media that the island is safe for visitors, noting that more than 60 percent of Aruba's income comes from tourism and more than 45,000 Arubans work in that industry.

"That's why we make an appeal to our local press and international press that the government and everybody involved will do the job," he said.

Holloway, from the Birmingham, Alabama, suburb of Mountain Brook, was in Aruba with classmates who were celebrating their graduation from high school.

On Sunday, law enforcement sources close to the investigation said a substance found in a Honda seized after three of the men were arrested Thursday is not blood, based on a sample analyzed at an FBI laboratory in Quantico, Virginia.

The search for Holloway was scaled back during the weekend, with teams venturing out only after receiving credible tips and coast guard patrols off shore."
http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/06/13/missing.teen/index.html

Looks like the PM is seeing pressure from the rest of his people about who pays the bills. I'm sure as the days drag on with no results the cancellations will continue, even accelerate.

Someone on that island knows or saw something. Why are they so afraid to come forward?

MoonWrasse:
"...
While expressing "deep concern" over the 18-year-old's fate, Oduber also sought to reassure the media that the island is safe for visitors, noting that more than 60 percent of Aruba's income comes from tourism and more than 45,000 Arubans work in that industry.

"That's why we make an appeal to our local press and international press that the government and everybody involved will do the job," he said.

Holloway, from the Birmingham, Alabama, suburb of Mountain Brook, was in Aruba with classmates who were celebrating their graduation from high school.

On Sunday, law enforcement sources close to the investigation said a substance found in a Honda seized after three of the men were arrested Thursday is not blood, based on a sample analyzed at an FBI laboratory in Quantico, Virginia.

The search for Holloway was scaled back during the weekend, with teams venturing out only after receiving credible tips and coast guard patrols off shore."
http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/06/13/missing.teen/index.html

Looks like the PM is seeing pressure from the rest of his people about who pays the bills. I'm sure as the days drag on with no results the cancellations will continue, even accelerate.

Someone on that island knows or saw something. Why are they so afraid to come forward?

If it is about slave trading...then the money is too good and they want people to think she is dead.... I just don't see how she went from these 3 guys to a kidnapping... most likely... one of them did it....

MoonWrasse:
It's starting to look like any "safe" record was not due to the prowness of the judicial system, but dumb luck (or enough spare black guys to blame).

I disagree. If this had happened in the US, do you really think it would be getting this much publicity and this much police effort? Having been to Aruba, I'd feel much safer there then any "party spot/district" in any major city in the US.

The Arubans know they need to keep crime out of Aruba to keep the tourism dollars flowing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom