Natalee Holloway - Aruba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As an addendum: Why would anyone send an 18 y.o off to drink in gamble and party for a week in a foreign county when they aren't even old enough to do that in their home country? Also, I don't understand why the girl's friends let her leave with strange guys? The whole situation seems very screwy to me.

Why not just send your 6 yo son to sleep with Michael Jackson -- seems similar.

Hoo Ah!!!!!!!!!!!!

berick:
As an addendum: Why would anyone send an 18 y.o off to drink in gamble and party for a week in a foreign county when they aren't even old enough to do that in their home country? Also, I don't understand why the girl's friends let her leave with strange guys? The whole situation seems very screwy to me.

berick:

18 year olds can generally go where they want to, with or without parental permission. Aruba promotes itself as a "safe" place, and still does (contrary to recent events).

There's no evidence she was a party animal either, not that it makes much difference if someone whats to do something criminal to you.

Not sure why her friends let her go off by herself. I wouldn't let my friends do that...

As for drinking, underage drinking occurs everywhere even in the US. But in Aruba, there is no drinking age. (I think you might have to be 16 to purchase hard liquor) otherwise, they're "one happy island"

I wish they'd find her...

MoonWrasse:
18 year olds can generally go where they want to, with or without parental permission. Aruba promotes itself as a "safe" place, and still does (contrary to recent events).

There's no evidence she was a party animal either, not that it makes much difference if someone whats to do something criminal to you.

All these places promote themselves as safe places, Bonaire, Curacao, Aruba, because news of crime on these islands is surpressed. The unfortunate consequence of that is that it sets up tourist to become victims because they let their guard down while on vacation.

MoonWrasse:

Yes, 18 yo can generally go and do what they want without parental permission. But, I sincerely doubt an 18 yo is going to fly to a foreign country without Mommy and Daddy footing the bill. Its a balancing act between protecting a child and giving them the experiences to grow up with. Still, and it is easy to say in hindsight, I don't think I'd let my daughter go with that many unchaperoned (6 isn't adequate) 18 yos in a foreign country.

Also, She was at Carlos n Charlies at least twice on the trip. So, even if she wasn't a party animal, she was partying (at least that's what I've experienced at Carlos n Charlies in both Aruba and Cozumel). I would also argue that an "inexperienced" partier is probably more at risk than an experienced party animal since the alcohol probably hits them much harder.

Hopefully, they'll find her and everything is OK. It just doesn't look like that will happen.

pilot fish:
All these places promtoe themselves as safe places, Bonaire, Curacao, Aruba, because news of crime on these islands is surpressed. The unfortunate consequence of that is that it sets up tourist to become victims because they let their guard down while on vacation.
Welcome to the great ABC Crime Cover-up Conspiracy. :11: :wink:
Safety is always relative. There is no place on earth where you are truly safe. Plan your trip accordingly.

El Orans:
Safety is always relative. There is no place on earth where you are truly safe. Plan your trip accordingly.

Yes, plan a trip wisely and stay on guard. That is my point. If you are given a false sense of security then you might become a victim.

El, do you think there is ANY suppression of crime statistics on any or all of the ABC islands?

El Orans:

Also known as the ABC CCC :eyebrow:

pilot fish:
Yes, plan a trip wisely and stay on guard. That is my point. If you are given a false sense of security then you might become a victim.

El, do you think there is ANY suppression of crime statistics on any or all of the ABC islands?
Probably. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't go. Get your information from multiple sources. Relying on just one source may prove to be problematic to say the least.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom