Natalee Holloway - Aruba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s:
Geraldo carrying a gun changed his "status" from being "protected" as a member of the press. In fact, him doing so and "advertising" it on his broadcasts made him, his crew, and other press members "targets". A very dumb and dangerous thing to do.

Only if the enemy reads and respects the Geneva convention. Since they have targeted every living person including aid workers, media, etc., I don't think he's changed his status any.

Personally I think a more dangerous thing is to wander off by yourself with strangers in a foreign country. For the girls sake in Aruba, I hope it is a slavery case. That would mean she is alive and rescueable, plus her plight will wake up America to a despicable worldwide practice that needs to be stamped out.

El Orans:
Probably. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't go. Get your information from multiple sources. Relying on just one source may prove to be problematic to say the least.

I agree totally.

the only guilty party here is the person or persons who harmed Natalee. no one
forced them to do it. her parents didn't; she didn't.

hindsight is 20/20, and it's easy to think you would have been smarter or
a better parent. all i can say is, i hope you're never in the position to
second guess yourself after the death of your child or to have others
second guess you.

no one, no matter how "stupid" they act, deserves to be raped and murdered.
no one deserves to have their daughter raped and murdered.

mike_s:
BTW... they released the two security guards they were holding last night

yes, i saw that.

the last people to see her alive are still in custody

mike_s:
BTW... they released the two security guards they were holding last night

The accussed have requested a change of venue to California. Wonder why? :eyebrow:

pilot fish:
The accussed have requested a change of venue to California. Wonder why? :eyebrow:

heh.

Yeah. One of the late night comedians last night said that Sadam Hussein had asked for a change of venue to Santa Barbara County Courthouse now.

mike_s:
heh.

Yeah. One of the late night comedians last night said that Sadam Hussein had asked for a change of venue to Santa Barbara County Courthouse now.

Yeah, if they brought Sadaam to Santa Barbara Cal, he would be found innocent of crimes against humanity but guilty in the Aruba case, or the guys in Aruba would be found guilty of crimes against humanity and innocent of all other chages. Something like that. Sprinkle it all with moon dust and play flute music. yeah, it's all about the love, Michael. :11ztongue

H2Andy:
the only guilty party here is the person or persons who harmed Natalee. no one
forced them to do it. her parents didn't; she didn't.

hindsight is 20/20, and it's easy to think you would have been smarter or
a better parent. all i can say is, i hope you're never in the position to
second guess yourself after the death of your child or to have others
second guess you.

no one, no matter how "stupid" they act, deserves to be raped and murdered.
no one deserves to have their daughter raped and murdered.

I agree totally. I've also done some very stupid things when I was younger and I'm probably lucky I survived and didn't suffer injuries/terrible consequences from those things. I also understand her mother is very frustrated and upset as any "human" would be.

I'm sure the family is beating themselves up and wondering what they should have or could have done differently. The mother lashed out at the Aruban government yesterday because she's frustrated and probably feels she has no control over the situation (which she doesn't).

My only real point was that there are reasonable actions that most people would know and do ( or at least tell the child to do -- they may not follow the advice) which don't
appear to have been followed. Also, don't expect any place to be sooo safe that your child can become totally drunk and leave without their travelling companions and the worst thing that will happen to them is a hangover. That world doesn't exist anywhere I know of.

One thing I haven't heard, is what the 2 Surinam Kalpoe boys do. We not lots about the missing girl, her family, even some about the Judge's son who is in jail. What are those 2 doing in Aruba? Nada has been told with that regard.

Three young men are in jail and have been undergoing questioning. They were the last people reported seen with Holloway. None has been formally charged.

Police have identified them as brothers Satish Kalpoe, 18, and Depak Kalpoe, 21, and their friend, Joran Van Der Sloot, 17, the son of an Aruban judge.

"The boys continue to point fingers at each other," the source said, but their attorneys said their clients are innocent.

After his release, John said Depak Kalpoe confided to him while they were in jail together that he had lied to police. John said Kalpoe also apologized for getting Jones and him into "that mess." (CNN Access)

"He [Depak] told me that the story about dropping the girl off at the Holiday Inn was all made up," John said, adding that Kalpoe told him he and his brother dropped Van Der Sloot and Holloway off near a Marriott hotel and then went home.

The area searched Tuesday is near the Marriott, about a mile from the Holiday Inn where Holloway was staying.

John said Kalpoe told him the brothers figured Holloway would turn up "a few days after, in some crack house or beach bar."

He said Tuesday that Kalpoe should be more forthright with investigators.

"I think he's holding back something," John told CNN, describing Kalpoe as "very calm at all times."

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/06/14/missing.teen/index.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom