Narced at Ninety?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you Rim, for posting your story and admitting some of your mistakes.

Hopefully as folks respond and ask for further clarification, they will remember that no-one learns much by being bashed and harshly criticized. Hopefully you will also remember that as folks point out mistakes made that were not mentioned or perhaps you did not realize were made, you will take them to heart and learn from those as well.

Kay:
Could you please explain what being narced feels like?

A bit hard to explain if you haven't knowingly experienced it. And the experience is different for different people.

Can include: confusion, difficulty performing simple tasks, pleasant tingly sensation, narrowing of perception, short memory (how much air do I have? .. how much air do I have? .. how much air do I have?), feelings of peace - or dread.

This is why deep dives should be made for your first time in a progressive pattern and with a buddy or instructor who already has deep experiences.

Dive safe,
theskull

RimGreaper:
Skull,

Geez man. Its called lessons learned.

To my credit i know much more now than i did then.

I take it you're in favor of pretending no mistakes are ever made?

"Lessons learned:

1> Had this been somewhere other than Vortex, we could well be dead. No guideline+Silt out = Lost as hell = out of gas."

Guess what? You can die in Vortex, too. Once inside a cave, it doesn't take a silt-out to get lost--especially so without guide line or back-up lights. Or a free-flow without redundant breathing equipment and no direct ascent?

Not my first time being criticized for being harsh :wink: I can deal with that. What I don't want to deal with is you dead. Or someone who reads your story and thinks it sounds like a cool "mission" who has an incident attempting to repeat it.

Lie? No. Pretend no mistakes are made? No. Tell of lessons learned without making a dramatic narrative of it? Yes. Learning the lesson of not diving beyond your level of training and experience? Priceless!

theskull

theskull:
"Lessons learned:

1> Had this been somewhere other than Vortex, we could well be dead. No guideline+Silt out = Lost as hell = out of gas."

Guess what? You can die in Vortex, too. Once inside a cave, it doesn't take a silt-out to get lost--especially so without guide line or back-up lights. Or a free-flow without redundant breathing equipment and no direct ascent?

Not my first time being criticized for being harsh :wink: I can deal with that. What I don't want to deal with is you dead. Or someone who reads your story and thinks it sounds like a cool "mission" who has an incident attempting to repeat it.

Lie? No. Pretend no mistakes are made? No. Tell of lessons learned without making a dramatic narrative of it? Yes. Learning the lesson of not diving beyond your level of training and experience? Priceless!

theskull

Be harsh man. I can take it.

And I don't want anyone to get hurt/dead trying this stuff because I tried it and didn't get dead.

Like i said it was stupid. But we can't pretend it isn't happening.

Thanks man

Greaper...

RimGreaper:
Be harsh man. I can take it.

Cool.

Tough balancing act to be me without pissing people off. I do it much better in person! I keep vowing to be kinder and gentler on-line . . . but I also keep vowing to lose 10 lbs.

Have fun . . . safely,

theskull

RimGreaper,

Now that you made the bonehead move and experienced it, are you going to pursue cave training, or did it just scare the hell out of you?

theskull:
A bit hard to explain if you haven't knowingly experienced it. And the experience is different for different people.

Can include: confusion, difficulty performing simple tasks, pleasant tingly sensation, narrowing of perception, short memory (how much air do I have? .. how much air do I have? .. how much air do I have?), feelings of peace - or dread.

This is why deep dives should be made for your first time in a progressive pattern and with a buddy or instructor who already has deep experiences.

Dive safe,
theskull

To add to this...

impaired judgement - my wife/buddy began ascending last deep dive cause she was narced (good judgement) without telling me (impaired judgement)

euphoric sadness - that's what I felt when I realized she wasn't there and thought she may have kept going deeper. I managed to talk myself out of going to look for her but felt very sad that she might not be ascending above me. But I felt very at peace. (We do have a very good marriage and relationship, so no, I wasn't at peace about that, it was definitely the narcosis)

Stryker:
RimGreaper,

Now that you made the bonehead move and experienced it, are you going to pursue cave training, or did it just scare the hell out of you?

I'm going to pursue cave training. As soon as I
1> can afford it,
2>find a place to do it. Boston isn't quite cave central :wink: . At least that i can tell.

You think Boston is bad? Try california!! finding a cave here is like finding gold on the moon.. haha I would love to take cave classes out here, just not quite feasable...

Another question is, do you have any wreck experience? that may be a good stepping stone because they teach alot of the same planning and techniques from what I hear.

Funny, I do the same thing when I get narced. Start to look at my gauges every minute, but don't really know what they are saying. I have to stop and really concentrate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom