Narced at Ninety?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RimGreaper:
Have you dived the low vis paradise that is lake lanier?

On an almost weekly basis. I was in there last Saturday and it was a nice 46 degrees.

On another note the stopsign is about 5' from the grate. Of course with a fogged mask it would have been hard to see. It took me about 4-5 minutes to get back to the cavern in that cave. Definately a long time if the poo poo hit the fan at the grate. I

Matt

scubadobadoo:
Me too. Just reading this thread I have realized how many times I have been narced and never realized it or maybe didn't consider it. Beyond getting really paranoid I frequently get horrible feelings of dread as if I have backed myself into a corner and can't get out. Especially in colder water starting in as little as 60-70 feet. Nonetheless, fear can keep one alive.

If you're somewhere that feels wrong, it is wrong. Doesn't matter if it's above or under water, bad water, bad weather, narcosis, bad karma, evil spirits or anything else.

If it feels creepy, it's time to go.

Terry

Corigan:
On an almost weekly basis. I was in there last Saturday and it was a nice 46 degrees.

On another note the stopsign is about 5' from the grate. Of course with a fogged mask it would have been hard to see. It took me about 4-5 minutes to get back to the cavern in that cave. Definately a long time if the poo poo hit the fan at the grate. I

Matt

46 degrees? That sounds like a hot tub compared to the 37 degree crap here right now.

5' from the grate? Damn. Was I ever off. But then i couldn't see the sign even.

RimGreaper:
I hesitate to do this but if you must enter a spring fed place, dont carry any lights. if you must carry lights, carry a reel and know how to use it.RimGreaper....

Thanks, but I'll carry lights whenever I want. I think you should stop with the advise while your ahead.

theskull:
"Lessons learned:

...Lie? No. Pretend no mistakes are made? No. Tell of lessons learned without making a dramatic narrative of it? Yes. Learning the lesson of not diving beyond your level of training and experience? Priceless!

theskull

I took it as a lesson rather than an encouragement. Without the dramatic narrative, I would not have read it and gained the insight from his mistake. Not that I would have attempted something this stupid without the training (I do intend to take one day) but I might find myself tempted by a very short overhead environment. It's dramatic narratives that remind us that simple things like a foggy mask or entanglement can turn a "simple harmless" entry into a nightmare without the proper equipment, training and trained buddy.

Dearman:
I took it as a lesson rather than an encouragement. Without the dramatic narrative, I would not have read it and gained the insight from his mistake. Not that I would have attempted something this stupid without the training (I do intend to take one day) but I might find myself tempted by a very short overhead environment. It's dramatic narratives that remind us that simple things like a foggy mask or entanglement can turn a "simple harmless" entry into a nightmare without the proper equipment, training and trained buddy.

Gotcha. Good point.

And apparently some people took away lessons from the narced part of the discussion as well. We can all learn!

theskull

ShakaZulu:
Funny, I do the same thing when I get narced. Start to look at my gauges every minute, but don't really know what they are saying. I have to stop and really concentrate.

I do that with my watch when I'm not diving. I look to see what time it is, when I look away I have no idea what time I just saw. Then I repeat that 3 or 4 times. Maybe I'm always narc'd and need to go deep to un-narc.

The thing that strikes me is that if you make a decision like that on the briefing and head off on that sort of "mission" knowing full well the depth and narcosis relationship in addition to the overhead enviroment and improper training/equipment relationship...what logic leads to the conclusion that the thought process is going to improve and not go south?

Bad clear headed decision + narcosis + way outside training/equipment boundry = everything will be O.K.

Did this have anything to do with, "Dad is with me, so it's safe?" Curious as to who has the broader diving experience. Does your dad have the same 'after action' evaluation as you do?

RimGreaper:
I knew well how to clear my mask. I was comfortable doing it. Why hadn't I?

After some thought, I believe I might have been narced. At 95ft, thats about 2 martinis, as Martini's Law goes. I've heard that cold water (or cooler water) narcosis isnt the warm euphoric feeling as usually described, but more of a feeling of dread (or can be). But i remember the situation, so i'm not sure.

RimGreaper

Narcosis in an overhead environment (in my experience) is not the warm euphoric feeling as usually described...it has always been more of a feeling of paranoia and dread. And I have always remembered the entire dive, including the narcosis. I have been narced only once in open water, and it was more of a euphoria along with lack of concentration, etc. Totally different (for me) in a cave. Weird, huh?

Maya:
Narcosis in an overhead environment (in my experience) is not the warm euphoric feeling as usually described...it has always been more of a feeling of paranoia and dread. And I have always remembered the entire dive, including the narcosis. I have been narced only once in open water, and it was more of a euphoria along with lack of concentration, etc. Totally different (for me) in a cave. Weird, huh?

cold water narcosis is often refered to as "paranoid narc".

i used to get that kind of effect deep (100 fsw) sometimes, but now i get more irritated at the loss of attention and short term memory mostly...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom