Narced at Ninety?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RimGreaper:
I'm going to pursue cave training. As soon as I
1> can afford it,
2>find a place to do it. Boston isn't quite cave central :wink: . At least that i can tell.

Boston has some of the best caves around! Steel ones. I wish I lived closer to wreck central.

A cavern class will get you started in the right direction, and without costing alot or requiring much extra gear. But it will give you the necessary info to judge whether a particular dive is within your training and help you properly assess the risks of a given overhead environment.

theskull

ShakaZulu:
Funny, I do the same thing when I get narced. Start to look at my gauges every minute, but don't really know what they are saying. I have to stop and really concentrate.

Me too. Just reading this thread I have realized how many times I have been narced and never realized it or maybe didn't consider it. Beyond getting really paranoid I frequently get horrible feelings of dread as if I have backed myself into a corner and can't get out. Especially in colder water starting in as little as 60-70 feet. Nonetheless, fear can keep one alive.

I think sometmes that I enjoyed diving more when I was a new diver and didn't realize the possible dangers envolved. It's not that I think ignorance is bliss, it's just that having had a near miss and really being scared for my life underwater has made me rethink my ability to handle some dives. Mostly I just want my dive experience to be safe and fun, not challenging. Be safe all and thanks for sharing.

theskull:
Boston has some of the best caves around! Steel ones. I wish I lived closer to wreck central.

A cavern class will get you started in the right direction, and without costing alot or requiring much extra gear. But it will give you the necessary info to judge whether a particular dive is within your training and help you properly assess the risks of a given overhead environment.

theskull

Yeah. As soon as it warms up a bit, apparently there are some quarries around here they hold cavern classes in. D@mn 37 degree water......the water that isn't frozen :wink:

Stryker:
You think Boston is bad? Try california!! finding a cave here is like finding gold on the moon.. haha I would love to take cave classes out here, just not quite feasable...

Another question is, do you have any wreck experience? that may be a good stepping stone because they teach alot of the same planning and techniques from what I hear.

Thats what i've heard. My wreck experience is extremely limited.

ShakaZulu:
Funny, I do the same thing when I get narced. Start to look at my gauges every minute, but don't really know what they are saying. I have to stop and really concentrate.

Same here, not that we don't know what the gauges are saying, its just harder to remember what they displayed after you looked at them. I know lots of divers who claim to never had been Narced, but I'm sure they just don't realize it. I haven't met anyone who has experienced "drunkeness or talking fish". Confusion & short-term memory are the giveaways.

hermosadive:
Same here, not that we don't know what the gauges are saying, its just harder to remember what they displayed after you looked at them. I know lots of divers who claim to never had been Narced, but I'm sure they just don't realize it. I haven't met anyone who has experienced "drunkeness or talking fish". Confusion & short-term memory are the giveaways.

You know what's funny? I do that on land. Have you ever looked at your watch and then put your arm down. A second latter you're like, "what time is it again?" or if somebody asks, "what time is it?" Then you gotta look at your watch again.

So on land it is called ADD
At depth it is called Narcosis

I wonder at which point they are one in the same? :D

MASS-Diver:
Co2 greatly increases narcosis, so if you work hard or are stressed you'll have problems. But, IME, narcoisis is seldom predicatable - for me I can feel some narcosis at about 80 or 90'.

Pretty stupid dive you guys pulled there, what gives? Are you unstable or something? you might what to see a head doc 'bout that. Have you ever know anyone who has died in a cave? hmmmm.....drowning does seem like a nice way to go, not too TERRIFYING

Yeah..t was rather stupid. The thought of breathing a tank dry is a very sibering experience.....

Just read The Last Dive.....a DCI death seems even worse. Foam in the syringe when blood is extracted...Good Lord...........

Sadly enough people have died at vortex (so I'm told). That is definately an intro to cave dive. I also have heard that some of the side fingers that come off the vortex cave can be deadly. I have also done the boneheaded move of going down to the stop sign and living to tell the tale. People need to start respecting vortex for what it is. I realized after my boneheaded move that cave training was in my near future, and to never venture into another one until I have that training. The grate is 400' penetration and at 108-110' fsw. Did you see how long it took you to get back out?

Matt

Corigan:
People need to start respecting vortex for what it is. I realized after my boneheaded move that cave training was in my near future, and to never venture into another one until I have that training. The grate is 400' penetration and at 108-110' fsw. Did you see how long it took you to get back out?

Matt

I only Made the stop sign, not the grate. And sadly i don't remember how long it took me to return to the entrance to the system. My buudy said i took off like a shot, although i dont remember that (possibly the rapture of the deep affecting me a bit) But you are right, as are you skull, a cave can kill your *****.

I *****ed up.

I hesitate to do this but if you must enter a spring fed place, dont carry any lights.
if you must carry lights, carry a reel and know how to use it.

but dont do that. stay away until you are trained. Think of how bad your family would feel if you killed yourself doing this.

If that doesn't do it for you, think how bad you'd feel if your dad died seeing something you wanted to do (in my case (my dad didnt die, but he was my buddy) )

If that doesnt make you think, what if some innocent diver had to recover your carcass and got bent or dead (its happened)

Fair enough, alll?

RimGreaper....

Corigan:
Sadly enough people have died at vortex (so I'm told). That is definately an intro to cave dive. I also have heard that some of the side fingers that come off the vortex cave can be deadly. I have also done the boneheaded move of going down to the stop sign and living to tell the tale. People need to start respecting vortex for what it is. I realized after my boneheaded move that cave training was in my near future, and to never venture into another one until I have that training. The grate is 400' penetration and at 108-110' fsw. Did you see how long it took you to get back out?

Matt

Have you dived the low vis paradise that is lake lanier?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom