Naniamo vis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skookumchuck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking for a recent visibility report for Naniamo. I'm heading to Campbell River on Friday to dive with Underwater Ogre and the plan is to dive Neck Point on the way up but I'm hearing poor vis reports.
Also wondering if anyone other than Betty Pratt-Johnson has ever done Moulds Bay on the East side of Quadra.

Moulds Bay is a pretty good site...most of the time easy entry and some nice things to see. Used for OW training by "mikediveguy", he knows every rock and sea star.
Wolfies and Octos are seen there often, never seems to be a current issue...but its a hell of a surf entry if the wind is SE and over 20 knots.

As far as Bold Point...I wouldn't waste my time. A long hike and a horrible dive. Much better to grab a boat and head up the channel further.

Take care,
U/O

Vis around Quadra was below average today but lets hope for better by the weekend. I think Pacific Pro Dive is running boat dives around Campbell R. Sat and Sun this weekend for a good price if you dont have something else set up. I might head out with them, I am sick of using the old wrench and sinking barrels of foam etc and am keen to get out swimming with the fish again.

Vis at Snake Island Sunday was about 15-20ft. So lets say it was not great for Nanaimo standards but would impress the Victoria crowd:D

"Eliminator" and I were at moulds on Sunday. Vis was decent, could still see the surface at 80' with 30'+ horizontal. Dive site for all levels of divers. There is a underwater cable running out of the bay marking your entry / exit point when diving.

Looking out of the bay, to the left is broken rock bottom to 60' watch for the top of a fishing pole at around 55' as there is a resident wolf eel living there with a teenage girlfriend. Beyond 60 feet is a sand floor, if you continue left past the rocks, its broken sand and small rock outcrops.

To the right, a nice wall dive, pretty much do any depth you want, we ran along the bottom ("Eliminator" had a 144' on his guage after dive). If you continue right you'll hit a sand flat, if you have the gas keep going and you hit another wall with different landscape. Lots of deep vertical cuts with all kinds of critters.

We saw 4 king crabs, a bunch of rockfish, 1 Lingcod sitting on eggs, squat lobsters all kinds of sculpins. All kinds of signs of octo's (decorated doorsteps) but couldn't find any at home.

If you have the time, its a good place to kill an afternoon.

Note to Yukoncherry - better book with Bill soon, as he is double booked both days this weekend and seats are running out.

Swankenstien I know you would rather dive Quadra, Ogre if we're in Naniamo at 10:00 what time would we get to Moulds Bay and would you rather do that than Neck Point?
And thanks to all for responding.

After calculating and discussing...Neck Point it is. With an evening dive at Singing Sands.

U/O

Vis at Snake Island Sunday was about 15-20ft. So lets say it was not great for Nanaimo standards but would impress the Victoria crowd:D

Just imagine what that will do for the Hope crowd....

I've been meaning to dive with someone from Naniamo for a while. Your more than welcome to join us at 11:00 in the Neck Point parking lot Dave.
Or anyone else that cares to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom