Naive - Difference between DIR & hogarthian?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OE2X:
So you don't believe that a wing is a life jacket?

You kill me. :)

I didn't say that I don't believe that a wing is not a life jacket. It IS a life jacket; it's just that in my experience as a dive boat DM with over 500 logged DM dives, the BC is the BEST BC/lifevest piece of equipment for its particular use in the open ocean.

BigboyDan:

I didn't say that I don't believe that a wing is not a life jacket. It IS a life jacket; it's just that in my experiece as a dive boat DM with over 500 logged DM dives, the BC is the BEST BC/lifevest piece of equipment for its particular use.

O.k. why?

Have you ever used a BPW in the open ocean?

I said in an earlier post that the BC, when fully inflated, puts the surfaced diver high in the water (like a bouy). A surfaced diver who is far from the dive boat can most importantly be seen easier, and can wait for the zodiac to come get him. Exhausted divers can rest at surface with more control of the body with a BC, especially in rough seas - I know this from MY experiences. That's all.

I started with a BP/W in 1974, I still use it for inland diving.

Diver0001:
If I'm wrong I'm wrong but then you should call it something else so it doesn't sound so much like an elastic band. Call it a TBP (tough bladder protector) or a BZD (bladder zipper divider) or better yet, don't mention it at all. Less is more in diving, remember? :wink: If you make a point of it people are going to start wondering why your wing needs something like this and others don't.....
They won't if they have ever pinched a bladder in a zipper, or perhaps pinched anything else tender in a zipper........

Diver0001:
www.frogkick.nl

I take it as a tenant. Amusingly, the "correct" inflator they show on the website appears to be the Halcyon under recall but heck....Halcyon deserves the benefit of the doubt, right? On the up side, the "incorrect" inflator they show appears to be a Diverite, not one of yours. :)
This why I asked for a source. I find nothing similar on the GUE site, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

Diver0001:
Tobin, I'm sorry to hear that you got your knickers in a bunch about this but I guarantee you that you'll sell more wings if you stop pointing out the elastic bands. Call it free marketing advice and I hope we're even.
R..
I appriecate your concern, but my knickers are wrinkle free, takes a bit more. I don't view this a tit for tat, and see no need to keep score. I am truely interested in how my website is perceived, and the range of assumptions is fascinating. Does sound like we need to explain thing more completely.

Regards,

Tobin

Ok. I'm not sure that this applies to me, since myself and all my buddies each carry a 3'-5' SMB. Deployed they offer greater visual advantage for a boat to find a diver than just a diver floating on the surface. FWIW - I learned about this in my DIR-F class.

We require each diver to carry and show an ability to use a SMB as well. Back in the 1970s we used a precurser to the SMG, a bright orange flag - learned that from PADI.

OE2X:
Ok. I'm not sure that this applies to me, since myself and all my buddies each carry a 3'-5' SMB.
I carry a six footer, which is a good thing, 'cause if the anchor had come loose in that surface current, we'd have all been waving our sausages at the ferry... :11:

BigboyDan:

I didn't say that I don't believe that a wing is not a life jacket. It IS a life jacket; it's just that in my experience as a dive boat DM with over 500 logged DM dives, the BC is the BEST BC/lifevest piece of equipment for its particular use in the open ocean.

BBD ... we're all entitled to our beliefs. Yours just don't fit my experiences though ... and FWIW, 500 dives is about a year and a half's worth of diving for me.

I prefer the BP/W for the type of diving I do ... which is mostly what I think you're referring to by "open ocean". But I don't personally care what rig someone uses, since it's not the gear that makes the diver anyway. I'm far more interested in a dive buddy's skills and attitude. Many of my dive buddies like BCD's, and many prefer BP/W. We don't spend a lot of effort arguing over which is better ... we just go out and use 'em ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
... and FWIW, 500 dives is about a year and a half's worth of diving for me.

... which is mostly what I think you're referring to by "open ocean".

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I make around two-hundred dives per year, including, open ocean...

500 hundred dives as a DM on one of these over the last twenty years:

http://www.gulf-diving.com/pics/Russ Pics/rinnboats.jpg

...125 miles off shore in a 1000' of water watching out for these people:

http://www.tomsscuba.com/photo-g/Texas/mv_fling.jpg

... next to one of these:

http://www.tomsscuba.com/photo-g/Texas/rig.gif

I know the area sharks on a first name basis. And I said that I use BP/W inland...

NWGratefulDiver, OE2X, Pug, Jimmie,

Thanks for all the info. I enjoyed diving with you guys last November and learned a lot then and am still learning from you, now. I don't know if I'll buy into the "DIR" mentality completely, but I do know I still have a lot to learn in diving and that DIR-f is my next training stop.

I'm gonna get the DSS BPW. Mostly because I really did like it when I tried it out last August and partly because my friend is selling it to me for a great price. Last, and a rather important aside, Tobin has been PM'ing me like crazy explaining all sides to it. That's the kind of customer service I want to have. You don't get that these days very much.

I have to admit when you all starting talking about sizes, I read faster...that big and bigger coming through, again :lol2:

*batting eyelashes*

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom