NAET and asthma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaren

Contributor
Reaction score
I was just recently diagnosed with asthma, tried the usual prescription meds and had bad reactions. I found out about something called NAET from a local news station and went for a treatment last week. Has anyone used NAET to treat their asthma? If so how did it work for you? NAET stands for Nambudripad's Allergy Elimination technique and is entirely natural allergy elimination. I will post my progress in the coming weeks for interested parties. This will take time but hopefully it will cure the condition.

I was just recently diagnosed with asthma, tried the usual prescription meds and had bad reactions. I found out about something called NAET from a local news station and went for a treatment last week. Has anyone used NAET to treat their asthma? If so how did it work for you? NAET stands for Nambudripad's Allergy Elimination technique and is entirely natural allergy elimination. I will post my progress in the coming weeks for interested parties. This will take time but hopefully it will cure the condition.

I wouldn't hold your breath. (pun intended).

It's based on clearing "energy blockages." If it's like anything else I've ever seen, with similar claims, the only thing it will unblock is your wallet.

http://www.chirobase.org/06DD/naet.html

NAET - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Terry

I would agree with you except that the news report showed a woman who was asthmatic from 12 years old and is now fully off all meds with no asthma. The news reporter had an allergy to chocolate and was eating chocolate after a treatment with no problem. It sure can't hurt any worse than Singulair or Xopenex. I'm willing to try this.

Also, I am aware of the massive influence of pharmaceutical companies on physicians. There are monetary incentives to prescribing various drugs. The MD who dismissed NAET could very well be someone who no longer has a chronic asthma patient due to successful NAET treatment.

I have also had personal success with acupuncture for a back injury which medication did not cure. The medication simply covered symptoms. The acupuncture increased circulation to damaged tissue and solved the problem for me. Standard asthma medication also covers symptoms. NAET will hopefully eliminate them. I will let you know if it works for me.

I am always willing to keep an open mind for any new therapies. Traditional allopathic and osteopathic medicine has not always served us well (but is objective is rapid to correct its weaknesses).

With a son affected with peanut allergy, I first read about enzyme potentiated desensitization (EPD - EPD FAQ (Enzyme Potentiated Desensitization FAQ)) and another site with links for EDP articles - http://www.dma.org/~rohrers/allergy/allergy.htm#EPD )with fascination. I acquired all of the founding researcher's original publications in some prestigous peer reviewed journals. Unfortunatedly, once the basic science work was published, and was followed by clinical trials - the clinical findings left much to be desired. EPD essentially became an unproven and questioned therapy, as least 10 years ago when I looked into the method in depth.

I sure hope what you are saying about NAET will be true http://www.dma.org/~rohrers/allergy/allergy.htm#Nambudripad. But only after it has been subjected to clinical trials... that I think the rest of the medical community will accept it.

Certainly, off label use of drugs, non-FDA approved treatments are being done every day in every physician's offices. As long as NAET does not harm anyone, eventually enough positive result will net us better data. When practicioners of NAET fail to perform double blinded trials, then one has to question its validity. Have there been clinical trials done?

Further reading on NAET as pointed by webmonkey, it seems like it has even less clinical trial and scientific basis than EPD.

NAET

From the link above:

Dubious Diagnosis and Treatment
Although Nambudripad recommends taking a standard allergy history, her principal diagnostic method is muscle-testing in which substances are placed in the patient's hand and the practitioner tests whether the arm can resist being pulled by the practitioner. Supposedly, when the arm is weak, the substance is said to cause allergy. "Surrogate testing" can be used to test young children or adults who are weak or incapacitated. The surrogate touches the skin of the person being tested while the practitioner tests the muscle of the surrogate. Some practitioners use an electrodiagnostic device that measures skin resistance to a small current emitted by the device [5]

When testing is completed, the practitioner "treats specific acupuncture points on the back using strong acupressure either by hands or with a pressure device while the patient is holding the allergen in their palm, touching the sample with the pads of their fingers. All patients above the age of ten will then also receive acupressure or acupuncture needles on specific points on the front of the body. Then:

Patients are asked to remain for 15-20 minutes in the office after the treatment. At that time they are tested again for their muscle strength with the allergen in their hand. This time, if the treatment is successful, the patient's arm should remain strong against the practitioner's pressure. The patient is then asked to wash their hands or rub them together for a minute. Patients are instructed to avoid all contact with the allergen that they were just treated for, for 25 hours. They are also advised to read The NAET Guidebook to find the suitable foods they can eat for the next 25 hours. During the spinal NAET treatment procedure the NAET practitioner and the patient should be alone in the room to prevent "electromagnetic interference." [6] (Nambudripad claims that a third person in the room can "steal" the treatment [3:6].) On the following visit the practitioner retests the previously treated item. If the result is satisfactory, the practitioner can treat another item. A course of 30-40 visits (once or twice per week) is commonly recommended Nambudripad also claims that NAET can be used as a preventive measure in people who are not sick [3:14].

According to The NAET Guide Book , the need for specific supplements is determined by having the patient hold a supplement in one hand while the practitioner pulls on the other arm. According to the book, weakness indicates allergy. If the patient tests strong, more pills are added one by one until the patient's arm tests "weak." The total number of pills in the patient's hand then indicates "the total deficiency on that day in the present condition." The book claims:

This number can be anywhere from 1-2 pills to many thousands, depending on the deficiency. For example: in certain nerve disorders, the total amount of vitamin B-complex deficiency can be as high as 20-30 thousand grams.

If the deficiency is 1-6 pills, one may not need to take supplements. Regular balanced meals will provide the requirements.

If the deficiency is more than 6-10 pills (or the amount equals 6-10 times recommended daily dosage (RDA), then one should supplement one pill daily. If the deficiency is calculated in many tens, hundreds or thousands, supplement the person with 4-6 times the recommended daily dosage of that particular supplement. . . .

Supplements in mega doses are often needed for a number of months in the following cases: arthritis, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, any chronic problems related to allergy, hair loss, constipation, degenerative diseases, cancer, etc. [3:21]

The NAET muscle-testing procedure is an offshoot of applied kinesiology, a pseudoscientific system based on the notion is that every organ dysfunction is accompanied by a specific muscle weakness. There is no scientific evidence that this is true; and test-to-test variations are due either suggestibility, muscle fatigue (from repeated testing) or variations in the test technique. The idea that the number of pills held in the hand can somehow be registered in a way that can influence the strength of a muscle is absurd. The idea that someone can be "deficient" by 20-30 thousand grams is even more absurd. That would be 44 to 66 pounds! Moreover, most vitamin pills contain less than a gram of their vitamin or mineral ingredients. Twenty thousand pills could not fit in the hand of the person being tested.

Curiously, Nabudripad's Web site warns patients against "being lured into clinics by doctors promising NAET allergy elimination treatments, but they are not receiving NAET treatments." The methods she list include: (a) placing colored slides at various locations on the body, (b) lying on a special bed while holding an allergen, (c) placing their fingers into a computerized dish with flashing lights while "some mumbo-jumbo is done on them," (c) touching cetain body parts and sitting alone while thinking about the allergen or "allergic thought," (e) prescribing $400 to $500 worth of supplements, vitamins, enzymes or sublungual drops on the first visit without removing any allergies, and (f) shining a laser light on their back while they hold the allergen in their hand [6].

From the link above:

Dubious Diagnosis and Treatment
Although Nambudripad recommends taking a standard allergy history, her principal diagnostic method is muscle-testing in which substances are placed in the patient's hand and the practitioner tests whether the arm can resist being pulled by the practitioner. Supposedly, when the arm is weak, the substance is said to cause allergy. "Surrogate testing" can be used to test young children or adults who are weak or incapacitated. The surrogate touches the skin of the person being tested while the practitioner tests the muscle of the surrogate. Some practitioners use an electrodiagnostic device that measures skin resistance to a small current emitted by the device [5]

When testing is completed, the practitioner "treats specific acupuncture points on the back using strong acupressure either by hands or with a pressure device while the patient is holding the allergen in their palm, touching the sample with the pads of their fingers. All patients above the age of ten will then also receive acupressure or acupuncture needles on specific points on the front of the body. Then:

Patients are asked to remain for 15-20 minutes in the office after the treatment. At that time they are tested again for their muscle strength with the allergen in their hand. This time, if the treatment is successful, the patient's arm should remain strong against the practitioner's pressure. The patient is then asked to wash their hands or rub them together for a minute. Patients are instructed to avoid all contact with the allergen that they were just treated for, for 25 hours. They are also advised to read The NAET Guidebook to find the suitable foods they can eat for the next 25 hours. During the spinal NAET treatment procedure the NAET practitioner and the patient should be alone in the room to prevent "electromagnetic interference." [6] (Nambudripad claims that a third person in the room can "steal" the treatment [3:6].) On the following visit the practitioner retests the previously treated item. If the result is satisfactory, the practitioner can treat another item. A course of 30-40 visits (once or twice per week) is commonly recommended Nambudripad also claims that NAET can be used as a preventive measure in people who are not sick [3:14].

According to The NAET Guide Book , the need for specific supplements is determined by having the patient hold a supplement in one hand while the practitioner pulls on the other arm. According to the book, weakness indicates allergy. If the patient tests strong, more pills are added one by one until the patient's arm tests "weak." The total number of pills in the patient's hand then indicates "the total deficiency on that day in the present condition." The book claims:

This number can be anywhere from 1-2 pills to many thousands, depending on the deficiency. For example: in certain nerve disorders, the total amount of vitamin B-complex deficiency can be as high as 20-30 thousand grams.

If the deficiency is 1-6 pills, one may not need to take supplements. Regular balanced meals will provide the requirements.

If the deficiency is more than 6-10 pills (or the amount equals 6-10 times recommended daily dosage (RDA), then one should supplement one pill daily. If the deficiency is calculated in many tens, hundreds or thousands, supplement the person with 4-6 times the recommended daily dosage of that particular supplement. . . .

Supplements in mega doses are often needed for a number of months in the following cases: arthritis, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, any chronic problems related to allergy, hair loss, constipation, degenerative diseases, cancer, etc. [3:21]

The NAET muscle-testing procedure is an offshoot of applied kinesiology, a pseudoscientific system based on the notion is that every organ dysfunction is accompanied by a specific muscle weakness. There is no scientific evidence that this is true; and test-to-test variations are due either suggestibility, muscle fatigue (from repeated testing) or variations in the test technique. The idea that the number of pills held in the hand can somehow be registered in a way that can influence the strength of a muscle is absurd. The idea that someone can be "deficient" by 20-30 thousand grams is even more absurd. That would be 44 to 66 pounds! Moreover, most vitamin pills contain less than a gram of their vitamin or mineral ingredients. Twenty thousand pills could not fit in the hand of the person being tested.

Curiously, Nabudripad's Web site warns patients against "being lured into clinics by doctors promising NAET allergy elimination treatments, but they are not receiving NAET treatments." The methods she list include: (a) placing colored slides at various locations on the body, (b) lying on a special bed while holding an allergen, (c) placing their fingers into a computerized dish with flashing lights while "some mumbo-jumbo is done on them," (c) touching cetain body parts and sitting alone while thinking about the allergen or "allergic thought," (e) prescribing $400 to $500 worth of supplements, vitamins, enzymes or sublungual drops on the first visit without removing any allergies, and (f) shining a laser light on their back while they hold the allergen in their hand [6].

Once again you refer to one site (the same site as the previous doubter who posted). This particular MD may very well be on the take from the pharmaceutical companies. Try doing a search of NAET success stories then come back here and post what you find. I am willing to try it and will report success/failure. Traditional meds caused adverse life threatening reactions for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom