n00b trying to sort things out.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you! I've decided that I need to buy a 7mil wetsuit and join the local dive club for dives in the area. The owner of my LDS has also extended an open invitation for me to join their classes at the pool and/or crater for further practice in the water, which I'm going to take him up on. This will then allow me to get Tobin the buoyancy information he needs to talk with me further about a BP/W setup.

I figure I'll only need a 3mil wetsuit for cancun and so will just rent that on location. I -will- be checking the rental log for anyone who's posted in the "peeing in your wetsuit" thread, however! :-D

At this point, I'm just going to stick with rental BC's until I get the opportunity to talk with someone who has and is willing to let me try out a BP/W. This might take me some time, but it'll help me deflect any criticism from my LDS. He's a *great* guy and I love him to death, but when I mentioned BP/W's to him, he told me he flat out hated them because they weren't comfortable and it was harder to control buoyancy/trim (???). The closest thing he had was a DiveRite back-inflate BC. He kept talking about comfort, the cummerbund, and padding.

Bob recently e-mailed me and let me know about a GUE instructor only a few hours away from me, Garth. I've e-mailed him twice and will call him if I get no response. I was also invited back up to Seattle to join you guys in a potential Fundies class (why, oh why did i ever leave..?) - perhaps next year, I'll have to do just that. :)

I think the hardest thing for me is knowing that this is all going to take some time to pull together, when I want to be a better diver NOW. :) Thank you for all your helpful comments and support!

rollerboi:
I figure I'll only need a 3mil wetsuit for cancun and so will just rent that on location. I -will- be checking the rental log for anyone who's posted in the "peeing in your wetsuit" thread, however! :-D

At this point, I'm just going to stick with rental BC's until I get the opportunity to talk with someone who has and is willing to let me try out a BP/W. This might take me some time, but it'll help me deflect any criticism from my LDS. He's a *great* guy and I love him to death, but when I mentioned BP/W's to him, he told me he flat out hated them because they weren't comfortable and it was harder to control buoyancy/trim (???). The closest thing he had was a DiveRite back-inflate BC. He kept talking about comfort, the cummerbund, and padding.

2 observations: 1) You probably will only be able to rent a shorty in Mexico. Depending on the time of year that could be plenty of warmth but won't protect you from stinging animals. Don't worry, most Coz divemasters wear shorties every day of the year. Even though you're on Isla mujeres, I'd still try to get to Cozumel for a day of diving. You might try some mail order clearance places for a westuit; one I like is sierratradingpost.com. I bought a 2mm shorty (pretty good quality) for $40 and a 3mm fullsuit, excellent quality, for $100. You might have to order several to try on, and send back the others. It's a small price to pay for the savings IMO.

2) You're getting a load of BS from your LDS. Isn't that a shocker?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom